The Grave Digger of Hürtgenwald

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
Franz repper

The Grave Digger of Hürtgenwald

Post by Franz repper »

Thanks to cyberia for this info
In the months and even years following World War II, the unburied remains of war dead were so common place throughout Europe that unless they posed a health hazard, they were often simply ignored.
In some places the dead of enemy nations were discarded in out of sight heaps, either through bitterness, or a desire to brush aside any reminder of war and death.

For one man, however, the dead deserved a proper burial. Even if he had to do it himself.
Julius Erasmus-The Grave Digger of Hürtgenwald
Born in Aachen on February 16, 1895, Julius Erasmus was employed before the war as a textile manufacturer. He later entered service with the Wehrmacht and rose to the rank of Captain with an engineer unit which took part in the battle in the Hurtgenforest, not far from his place of birth.

But it was not Erasmus' service in arms that made him an honored hero in Germany. It was what he did after the war.

In the summer if 1945, former POW Erasmus returned home to find that his entire family had been killed during the Battle of Aachen. All his possessions, his home, had been either looted or destroyed.
Despondent, he moved into a small abandoned cabin in the Hürtgenwald, where he had served only a few months before and the scene of some of the most horrific fighting of World War II.
But Erasmus was not alone. All along roadside ditches into town, beneath the artillery torn trees and clumps of forest underbrush were the dead.

"I couldn't stand seeing them lying around there, unburied and forgotten," Erasmus was quoted as saying in a postwar newspaper interview. "It kept bothering me."

Erasmus began, on his own, to collect and bury dead soldiers of any nation that he found and took pains to try and identify each so as to put a name to the grave.
He buried the first 120 bodies on the edges of the forest, until the local community gave him a plot of land, located on what was then known on military maps as Hill 470, one of the hardest fought areas of the battle.

As Erasmus worked on to bury the dead in the heat of the summer of 1945, residents from surrounding towns and villages began to join him. At first in ones and twos, then in small groups that eventually grew into a army of volunteers.
The work was hard, emotionally draining and dangerous. An estimated 100 volunteers died while locating and burying the dead due to mines and unexploded ordinance. Including Baptist Linzenich, mayor of Vossenack.

By the time the German Military Cemetery at Vossenack was officially designated by the then West German Government in 1952, it was estimated that Julius Erasmus personally buried, or assisted in the burial of, 1569 fallen soldiers.
As the Hürtgenwald continues to surrender its dead from the battle fought there, and others continue the work started by Julius Erasmus, the number of soldiers now laid to rest at Vossenack number 2221, representing four nations, with 930 unknown.
The German Military Cemetery at Vossenack
As for Julius Erasmus, believing his work completed in 1952 he simply vanished without a trace, becoming something of a national enigma. It was only in recent years discovered that he had died September 3, 1971, in Nideggen-Abenden in the Eifel Mountains.
Today a monument to the memory of Julius Erasmus stands in the cemetery at Vossenackto he started with his own two hands.
A tribute to a solider who lost everyone and everything to war, yet took it upon himself to see that the dead, including former enemies, were given a proper burial.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Sean

Re: The Grave Digger of Hürtgenwald

Post by Sean »

Super post Franz. Thanks for sharing
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

A wonderfull story Joel,the dead deserve this respect as does Julius for being an honorable man and in his own way a hero.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Most of the dead Julius recovered were men and boys belonging to the 116 Panzer Division "Der Windhund" who, for many years I represented in re-enactment/Living History. The two Kriegsgrabner in Vossenack are prominent as being the largest (3001 & 2437 souls) and one is actually set beside a memorial to the 116 and contains the mortal remains of Generalfeldmarscall Walter Mödel. I have visited these and many lesser known cemetaries over the years both as part of research into the 116 and as a mark of respect when holidaying in the region. Here is a list of Cemetaries (in German) in the Kries Düren.

http://www.ehrenmale-kreis-dueren.de/Kr ... ten_DN.htm

The information above is given in the office of the Soldatenfriedhof Hürtgen and a photograph (in fact the very one reproduced) hangs on the wall. Alongside this are poignant photos of the remains lying on the former battlefields, Julius Himself recovering the dead and blasted trees and villages of the region.

A very sobering Post Franz and one which I hope brings into perspective for many who re-enact - an important reason to re-enact. Playing war and dressing up and getting pissed is fine. I have no objections - "Doing it FOR the veterans" sickens me when I hear it - as it is a pious catchall that the utterer hopes will "justify his/her hobby. We don't need to justify a liesure pastime per se. But our subject matter is underlines with pain, horror and suffering - We re-enact War and perhaps one of the cruellest of them all. Certainly the most terrifying. So to remember those who fell and to pay them some respect from time to time is not a bad thing.

I would recommend any group of people who re-enact German troops to maybe organise a JBO and base yourself in Aachen, hire some wheels and drive out to those nearly forgotten battlefields - and see the sombre grey crosses and then come back and tell me how it made you feel. The first time I went was strange. The last time I went it was my epiphany I can tell you.

I may dig out some photos if I have time.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

The monument to the 116
mahnmal3.jpg
mahnmal3.jpg (125.03 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
And the inscription on the Bronze Tablet below it
mahnmaltablet.jpg
mahnmaltablet.jpg (121.13 KiB) Viewed 4370 times
The view looking out from The Mahnmal (Memorial)
mahnmalview.jpg
mahnmalview.jpg (123.12 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
(notice the Windhund set into the white gate below)
My Dutch friends Mischa and Milou are deep in conversation with my partner and daughter there.

Another view
vossenacksouth.jpg
vossenacksouth.jpg (118.85 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
This can be registered to the previos photo by the wind turbines..... It gives the viewer an impressions of the nature of the terrain fought over and how difficult it was for both sides.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Good sirs I wish I did find this info out but it was cyberia who posted this I just thought that the info was worth shairing
ImageImageImageImageImage
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

What a coincidense, I learned the story of that man and the lovely cemetary on thuesday when I visited a friend of mine. She visites alot of German war graves all around Europe.
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
wolfsangel

Post by wolfsangel »

Just to second what PD says really, if you ever get the chance to visit the Hurtgenwald then you should, I've been lucky enough to go there several times now and each time I get the same feeling when I visit the cemetries.

There is plenty to see there and the vossenack museum is worth a visit as the curator can point you in the direction of the remaining bunkers, and you may be lucky enough to bump into a vet. like i was last time I went.
Frontschweine, Regiment 409

Return to “Anything WWII!”