Stab Panzertod

The place to display all those event photos you have

Moderator: Richk98

Heini

Stab Panzertod

Post by Heini »

I would like to present you a short story with pictures, which is freely inspired by the situation of the sixth VolksGrenadier Division in early spring 1945th. Sorry for the mistakes, I´m not native speaker :wink:

Uffz. Wiegrewe´s Diarry, February 1945

The Soviet offensive was terrible. Our whole Zug was buried by enemy artillery. No one had a chance to escape. I was only lucky that me and another one from Soldier from our company was from the Sudetenland. During the artillery bombing we were at the Stab of our Division while we were able to translate the interrogation of some Slovak deserter who was caught during the night at our lines. Gott sei Dank, that my mother was Czech. Who would say that knowledge Czech language will save my life. But for how long? No one knows.
It was the most horrible Soviet offensive I've ever experienced. We watched it from a distance of several kilometers, and thank God he left us alive. We have been long time on the front, in the war, so we know that death does not choose and does not make any sense to try to avoid it, because those who tried, get also caught.

The staff throughout our division immediately began to pack and move speed. Everything was a terrible mess, civilians were running around in their nightgowns, everywhere was a terrible roar, and each tried to quickly disappear. Fear and panic seized them. Suddenly we did not know what to do, two soldiers in the midst of turmoil. Again, we were saved by a fluke. In the crowd of vehicles that were leaving the front as quickly as they could, we saw a truck with Fritz Wollner, our friend, who was recognized after a head injury also unable to include combat units and was assigned as a supply driver for our division. He did not encourage us long, we jumped on fenders of his LKW, we firmly caught and went the direction of Silesia, where was our division Stab promptly appealed. Behind us we left all our friends and stuff, we carried just a field kit. Moreover Obergrenadier Larisch, my fellow passengers, lost his quilted jacket, and therefore had to freeze in the tunic. We drove most of the day, the path sometimes hampered damaged vehicles or Soviet bombers which were attacking our retreating troops.

After the attack of Soviet aircraft

Our entire division was crushed. I do not suppose the guys from my Gruppe survived. We hear terrible news from the frontline, Soviet tanks apparently progressing day by 20 kilometers. From the remnants of our division, we formed a new unit - Stab Panzertod. We cover the line between Liegnitz and Sprottau. There's a lot of officers and the very rear of the unit. From our front-line units, almost no one returned. I received new men and orders to form a new unit. Besides Obergrenadiera Larisch I recently got a MG shooter - Grenadier Zelldner, honest good guy somewhere from a small village near Bielefeld. Veteran who fought in Africa, was ultimately due to disorderly conduct associated with alcohol demoted to lieutenant´s servant and was same as us one of the few lucky devil who slip out of the clutches of the Russians offensive. As MG 2, I have a young gymnasium student Dieter Kraft, who along with culinary apprentice Hans Kugel were before the offensive dispatched as fresh reinforcements to the front. They had no combat experience, but it seems that they are good guys with no fear from Russians. Coincidence would have it, was a distant relative Zelldner with young Dieter. Then there is still the former Meldenträger, now a front-line Grenadier Otto Schraubziger. Throughout the war, he managed to serve in the rear of our division, but he has now moved into the field. The last, my Stellvertreter is Gefreiter Karl, son of a wealthy landowner from somewhere in the Sudetenland. He has also completed his combat experience and I hope I can count with his loyalty. When I see around the small boys of the HJ and old grandpas from Volkssturm, I'm happy with my new Gruppe. But we did not get new weapons or equipment. Only me and Obergrenadier Larisch are having new Sturmgewehrs. The rest is just your Gewehr and I got assigned one Maschinengewehr.

The frontline is getting closer, so we got orders to move in and take defensive positions. They gave us iron rations, ammunition and several grenades and Panzerfausst. Our newcomers passed training in shooting with Panzerfaust, therefore I assigned one to Grenadier Kugel. For our unit was designed wide, slightly wooded stretch. Our sector is probably the most vulnerable, because around our Kompanie they are just standing old men Volkssturm and guys from Hitlerjugend. The closest Landwehr Regiment is several kilometers away. Zugs from our thinned Kompanie, which used to be a Division a few days before, were required to occupy a several lines. Our weakened Gruppe was tasked to dig in and defend the woods with a few hundred meters wide perimeter. Fortunately, the terrain is steep and we have field advantage. But the width, which we have cover scares me. Before leaving, however, we received reports that soon we will move on and that our position on the rear board fresh force in the form of motorized divisions grenadiers. I warned Leutnant Wehmayer that we have no mortars or cannons, but he assured me that the support is coming soon along with signalmen.

In the forest

Marching to the positions

Schützenkette in the open space

We arrived at the position I deployed my men and I had 20 minutes break for refreshments.

Obergrenadier Larisch eating Crispbread

Gefreiter Karl and Grenadier Kraft

Meanwhile reigns good mood

Gefreiter Karl is preparing a tin

Getting started digging. We can already hear enemy gunfire. I put the gun in the best possible place and gave the order to the edge shooters to dig more holes to be able to move during the fight.

Gefreiter Karl digging

Grenadier Kraft digging Maschinengewehr position

Uffz. Wiegrewe digging near MG

Soldiers are waiting in the holes

Russians are already close. I hear small arms firing. For a moment they will be here. Signalmen, hasn´t arrived yet, same with cannons and mortars, which have to support us. We can only hope that they will be faster before first Russians. Everyone has dug at least of two foxholes to be able to move in the attack. Now we are just waiting in our holes. Everyone is quiet. Always hilarious Zelldner is now grim and newcomers feel that the going gets rough.

Grenadier Kugel

Obergrenadier Larisch is digging deeper hole

For a moment Soviets will be here. On the horizon suddenly appears a few fleeing soldiers. Ours ... For the moment, they fall down killed by machine gun fire of the enemies. Get ready!

Waiting for the enemy

Unteroffizier Wiegrewe is watching for enemy

...and giving orders to MG gunner

Grenadier Shraubziger is preparing to fight

Soviets are already here!!

On the horizon there are 3 Russian T34 heavy with infantry. Two heading into the second section of Zug and one aimed directly at Gruppe

Uffz. Wiegrewe directing the machine gun fire to the advancing Soviet infantry

Grenadier Kugel disposed T34 with Panzerfaust, but then gets wounded by machine gun fire from the Russians

Unteroffizier Wiegrewe trying to slow down the advancing Russian infantry with firing from his assault rifle Stg44

Grenadier Kraft stricken burst from an enemy submachine gun

Gefreiter Karl is throwing at the approaching enemy hand grenade

Reinforcements arrived just in time

Unteroffizier Wiegrewe is throwing the hand grenade on the retreating soldiers

Gefreiter Karl shooting

Grenadier Shraubziger is firing on the retreating Soviets

Our reinforcements, motorized Grenadiers, pushed the Soviets back, because the sound of battle is slowly receding and cannons thunder ceased. I received the orders to move to new sector. If it had arrived a half hour earlier, it would save the lives of two my boys. Besides brave Grenadier Kugel, who destroyed the enemy tank we lost the Grenadier Kraft, which was hit by the advancing Soviets, while he was moving for the ammo boxes.

Grenadier Zelldner says goodbye to his friend

The face of the Grenadier full of fatigue

In silence we said goodbye to dead friends. Their bodies were loaded to horse-drawn wagon by several elders from Volkssturm. I lost so many friends. From our original unit from R.A.D. we are only two remaining. The rest of the friends found death on the Russian plains. After pushing Russians to Siberia and moving forward, they are now pushing us toward Berlin. Although we assure the press that Wunderwaffen save us and whispers about making peace with the Allies, the situation as we see it here on the front is increasingly unsustainable. The Soviets must be millions. Inventories are shrinking with us, our tanks and guns is seen less and less.
I only know that I want to survive this war and it drives me forward as the engine.

Soldiers have reported to me that they are packed and ready to go. We're leaving. Towards to the unknown.

Unteroffizier Wiegrewe

Slowly getting dark and the unit is moving to a new destination
Uffz. Heinrich Wiegrewe
1/Jnf.Rgt.18
"Kein Regiment soll besser sein!"
http://www.kvhwurm.cz
dagda

Re: Stab Panzertod

Post by dagda »

Great photos and story, I really enjoyed it. Well done
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

Good story. Next time try to put more background information in. I see this as the "new" kind of photoseries.
CDB taking it way too serious!
Halle

Post by Halle »

Excellent story , great photos , you guys have some great impressions there !
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Heini

Post by Heini »

Thank you guys! Good point Erik, next time, I will add more historical facts.

I have to say, that first of all we created the pictures, than I start thinking about the story. So next time, it may be better if I already know the story :D
Uffz. Heinrich Wiegrewe
1/Jnf.Rgt.18
Patrick.R

Post by Patrick.R »

Great photos!
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

Heini wrote:Thank you guys! Good point Erik, next time, I will add more historical facts.

I have to say, that first of all we created the pictures, than I start thinking about the story. So next time, it may be better if I already know the story :D
- what do you want to show in your photographs ?
- what is the time and place ?
- what is available as original pictures ?

A small analysis of the pictures is always a nice addition and makes for a more interested audience, looking at your pictures for a longer period. There is so much to see on the pictures, you could easily fill in 3-6 sentences about the uniform or place/time. Even "uninteresting" pictures can be interesting if you explain them through information.
CDB taking it way too serious!
Heini

Post by Heini »

Erik, I don´t know if I understand your post correctly. But I´ll try to explain it and answer you.

Pictures were took on our private event which was based on reality in 1945 when "our" division was destroyed during russian offensive. The survivors formed as Stab Panzertod until they reinforcement came and new division was formed in April 1945. Pictures were made on modern camera, but are in BandW because of better atmosphere. As you may know, I work with a period camera (I presented a few pictures several times ago) so this pictures are not playing to be period ones, but black and white colour has better atmosphere than colour.

It was meant like a war story, based on historical events - diarry notes.

We are planning to do some more educative projects, like we did several times before, but this event and topic was meant just like our group presentation with story of our division.
Uffz. Heinrich Wiegrewe
1/Jnf.Rgt.18
johankreig

Post by johankreig »

wow, that end bit almost brought a tear to my eye, very very good, like an axis hostory version of a pcture book. This could start a trend.
Name: Jonathan
Johan Paul Kreig
Feldgendarmerie
Himmel Soldaten

Return to “Photos”