Re: Faces of war

Post by rednas »

Not a photo but a small movieclip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZjiwNdvWDs
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Good posts gents
I would say this sums it up, sorry if some find it offensive but after all that's what War does! :cry:
FACES 29.jpg
FACES 29.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
Peiper.
Jeppsson |11.SS|

Post by Jeppsson |11.SS| »

Peiper wrote:Good posts gents
I would say this sums it up, sorry if some find it offensive but after all that's what War does! :cry:
FACES 29.jpg
Peiper.

Sad Photo...
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Jeppsson |11.SS| wrote:
Peiper wrote:Good posts gents

Peiper.

Sad Photo...
Yes Its not the face of war but the price of war
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I posted the following picture yesterday and have since been inundated with positive and "not so positive" PMs.... Anyway, I knew a bit about the photo but I though I's dig around to fill in what I didn't know about it.

"Czesława Kwoka was born in Wólka Złojecka, a small village in Poland, to a Catholic mother, Katarzyna Kwoka. Along with her mother (prisoner number 26946), Czesława Kwoka (prisoner number 26947) was deported and transported from Zamość, Poland, to Auschwitz, on December 13, 1942. On March 12, 1943, less than a month after her mother died (February 18, 1943), Czesława Kwoka died at the age of 14; the circumstances of her death were not recorded."
The photograph was taken as an identity document by Willhelm Brasse who was also imprisoned the 'Germans' but managed to survive the camp. Many of the photgraphs and negatives were burned Brasse hid some to document the people who suffered under German rule and evidence to what happened there.
"She was so young and so terrified. The girl didn't understand why she was there and she couldn't understand what was being said to her.

Czesława Kwoka's exprssion also left an impression on Brasse who remember very vividly taking here picture. He recounts;-
'She was so young and so terrified. The girl didn't understand why she was there and she couldn't understand what was being said to her.

So this woman Kapo (a prisoner overseer) took a stick and beat her about the face. This German woman was just taking out her anger on the girl. Such a beautiful young girl, so innocent. She cried but she could do nothing.'

Before the photograph was taken, the girl dried her tears and the blood from the cut on her lip. 'To tell you the truth, I felt as if I was being hit myself but I couldn't interfere. It would have been fatal for me. You could never say anything.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Ziggy unfortunately this is another face of the same war , a face which made WW2 unique and unlike any other seen until that time.
The process which led to genocide does not have to be discussed in depth but the face of the prisoner is evry bit as much a victim of the war and Adolf Hitler as any of the dead or wounded soldiers seen in this thread.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Tychsen wrote:Ziggy unfortunately this is another face of the same war , a face which made WW2 unique and unlike any other seen until that time.
The process which led to genocide does not have to be discussed in depth but the face of the prisoner is evry bit as much a victim of the war and Adolf Hitler as any of the dead or wounded soldiers seen in this thread.
Very true Tychsen!

That last picture is indeed a "Face of War" and needs to be seen, i had posted the other
photo's myself of German soldiers because this is a German Reenactment thread, but
you are correct the image of the girl was a victim of the same War and hopefully such
images will never be seen again.

Here are some "other" faces, not German but never the less "faces of victims"

THE AFTERMATH
FACES (VICTIMS).jpg
FACES (VICTIMS).jpg (19.31 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
British and American burial party.
FACES (VICTIMS 2).jpg
FACES (VICTIMS 2).jpg (26.47 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
Liberation of Chinese girl from Japanese labour camp.
FACES (VICTIMS 3).jpg
FACES (VICTIMS 3).jpg (34.21 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
Liberation of American POW's from Japanese Prison camp.

Regards Peiper.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

One of the less well known but quiet startling photos to come from the last war - this shows part of a transport from Hungary which was recieved into Birkenau in May 1944.
The little girl ( second from the left , beside the lady standing) looking at the photographer was identified in recent years as being Gerti Mermelstein , also in the photo her sister , mother and grandmother.
They were shortly afterwards gassed in Unit 4 , today the same trees still stand apart from the blown up gas chambers and the adjacent "Kanada" section the location is largely unchanged.

The child is symbolic of all children who died a violent death in WW2 be they English , German , French , Russian , Czech , Italian or Greek , her face speaks for them all.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Two from Buchiems photo studies of a war cruise on U-96.

The sonar man listening to the sounds of attacking destroyers.......his face betrays the concentration required.

Lehmann-Willenbrock in sheepskin and wearing his white topped cap - the photos are blurred and shaken , grainy detail as it was shot on a supoerfast film without flash in the dim light of a boat which was under attack , the blur is due to the boat beings shaken by depth charges.
A scene which exists only in this roll of film.
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Ahh the Dirlewanger eh Ropes :D

Peiper :wink:
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Here's a couple more!!

Epic Pics.
Epic pic 1.jpg
Epic pic 1.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
Epic pic 3.jpg
Epic pic 3.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 5483 times
Infantryman (Russia).jpg
Infantryman (Russia).jpg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 5483 times
Peiper 8)
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

A few others
FACES 16.jpg
FACES 16.jpg (31.18 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
FACES 74.jpg
FACES 74.jpg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 5480 times
FACES 19.jpg
FACES 19.jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 5480 times
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Peiper wrote:Ahh the Dirlewanger eh Ropes :D

Yea I didnt know if i shoud put it in. Im not sure if its because I know what unit they are but theres somthing ive always found a little predatory and unsettling about that photo.
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

That pic always reminds me of a pack of wolves about to go for a kill....
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG

Return to “Photos”