Denix MP40 question

Moderator: berlin1945

valkyrie895

Denix MP40 question

Post by valkyrie895 »

I recently got a second hand Denix MP40 for displays and I am trying to improve it some. I am putting on new brown colored faux bakelite from Zib Militaria, and I would like to remove the sling attachment ring and flip it to the other side so that it is in it's correct wartime configuration.
Does the denix MP40 come apart enough for me to do this? I know on originals you have to remove the barrel to do this and I am just not sure if it is possible to do on a denix replica, and I don't want to seriously jack it up trying.

If you have any experience with this please share it if you can.

Thanks,
-Bodo
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
hansritter

Re: Denix MP40 question

Post by hansritter »

I have done this several times to them, a common fault was the recoil spring got twisted and the plastic plunger cracked.
Use a small plastic or wooden/rubber mallet/hammer. A piece of soft wood and tap at the base of the barrel nut away from you to ease out barrel assembly. (from memory) Just remember that the cast zinc alloy doesnt take rough handling too well :)

Get some wire wool a small fine file and a set of number stamps and have at it, file out the casting marks, reduce paint/laquer on parts that would naturaly ware get some good pics of an MP and copy the stamping. An airsoft mag can make a lot of difference as Denix mags have that knack of falling out on your foot (and just look nasty) I was given a Airsoft mag and it fitted right in..and no rattling! And remember to keep feeding the metal vaseline It helps stops the white crap build up when exposed to Moisture .

Hope any of this maybe of some help.

Al
Feldgendarmerie Hauptfeldwebel Johann Ritter.
valkyrie895

Post by valkyrie895 »

Danke!
So let me run this back to you before I feck it up!
I tap on the rear of the barrel nut/sling fitting toward the end of the barrel and it'll pop right out?

Sounds too good to be true, but if it is, all the better!

I have letter and number stamps but they are a totally wrong font. The crappy pot metal actually takes stamps though? Interesting.
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
hansritter

Post by hansritter »

P'M'd

Don't touch Sling fitting, instructions enclosed. (In PM)
Feldgendarmerie Hauptfeldwebel Johann Ritter.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”