Deac k98 - values ?

Moderator: berlin1945

Sean

Deac k98 - values ?

Post by Sean »

Just putting some feelers out and am wondering what the going rate for a K98 is these days. I've seen them being sold between 350/400 mark.....

Mine is 1940 dated (not a russian re issue), has the shallow/thin early type butt plate. Comes with the usual swstika markings etc.

Thanks
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
Halle

Re: Deac k98 - values ?

Post by Halle »

Most decent deacs I've seen are around £425 , but I've seen them for more , or less ...
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks Halle, I'm really surprised they are going for so much these days.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

thats because the Russian salt mine are now empty of all 6th armie weapons
Halle

Post by Halle »

pepperpot wrote:thats because the Russian salt mine are now empty of all 6th armie weapons

That's probably true , but also , every time a new cache of k98s are found , they're butchered for the " collectors " market - people don't want live firers , because they don't want the hassle of a section one firearm license , and that's the real tragedy :|
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Amen, or they just get destroyed like that storehouse of STG-44s that were found...melted down as scrap, 2000+ of them.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Sean, is yours a deac or live? i have both, but the deacs are always dearer. Get yourself a section 1 and ask a RFD to find you a decent live K98. Ciney (Belgium) 2013 i saw at 100 live k98 for sale there,
graham
Sean

Post by Sean »

Hi graham, she's a deac.

Re section 1 I'm looking into this as a want to shoot on a range.
saddler

Post by saddler »

Sean wrote:Hi graham, she's a de-act.

Re section 1 I'm looking into this as a want to shoot on a range.
As I cannot find the town/county in your profile on a map, I cannot advise on where to go to join a local club/range. :roll:

Section 1 IS the cheaper way, sort of, although you'll need the club membership/gun cabinet cost to take into account.

Never owned a de-act yet...the closest to de-act has been a smooth bored Lee Enfield, converted to 410 shotgun.

Section 2 MAY be an easier option than Section 1, as no club membership needed, just a gun cabinet.
The issue on smooth-bored guns is that they tend to bring a higher cost than Section 1 versions.

The other problem with S.2, is that SOME of the ones out there are S.1
(If the magazine holds more than two cartridges OR can be removed - then the gun is S.1 irrespective of barrel being smooth or not)
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Good advise from Sadller. try and find a local RFD as see what they can find, takes the hassle out of looking. Thats how i obtained my 4 section 1 rifles.
graham
saddler

Post by saddler »

Another option that I just remembered, is look for S1 or S2 guns that have damaged/pitted/shot out barrels

These WILL be cheap(ish) - but as long as the chamber is not affected then they are good to go as a blank firer or just for carrying/display.

You MAY get lucky using that angle when searching...as the high cost of re-barreling (and re-proofing afterwards) would put most buyers off

Also:
I got a Swedish Mauser about 18 months back for £40 as it was a smooth barrel shotgun conversion, BUT has not had the magazine restriction work to current UK spec. = so it WAS orignally a S.1 rifle, smoothbored into S.2 shotgun, then the last change in the law here made it a S.1 (shotgun this time) again.... :!:
Yes, UK gun laws can be/are a PITA - but if you work around them you can get some nice buys without having to raffle a kidney.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”