use of bell tents ?

Moderator: berlin1945

Rudi Kurz

use of bell tents ?

Post by Rudi Kurz »

Apologies if I have posted on the wrong section. I'm not too sure under which category this would go.
My question is:
does anyone have any proof, be it written, or better still a photo, of germans using captured allied bell tents during ww2 ,or is this all a myth. I've searched online for any evidence, and so far, nothing !
BedsnHerts

Re: use of bell tents ?

Post by BedsnHerts »

Plenty of pics of HJ using bell tents for their camps, but I can't see many soldiers choosing to cart around a heavy canvas tent, captured or otherwise - especially as the whole point of the Zeltbahn was not to have heavy tentage as part of a unit's equipment.
Rudi Kurz

Post by Rudi Kurz »

Thanks for your reply. I'd heard HJ used them ,but I have only found "summer camp" type photo's. I just wondered if there was proof it was a wider practise for german troops during the war, "use what you find " thinking, as they often did with allied kit. I take your point about moving around heavy tents though. It's just such a shame that modern repro zelt tents are like sleeping in a tea bag , :D and decent originals rare. Proof is always the holy grail to anything like this as it answers the question once and for all.
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

I have seen them being used in North Africa, along with other Allied items.
Rudi Kurz

Post by Rudi Kurz »

Ok, thanks Paul, that's 2 sighting's to follow up. i'll keep trawling the old photo's until something shows up. Thanks again for the replies.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”