Zeltbahn question..

Moderator: berlin1945

RZM

Zeltbahn question..

Post by RZM »

I had been in the market for a blurred edge Zeltbahn for some time. I had seen the ones that SMW makes and heard nothing but good about them,so I looked on their Ebaystore and found one and ordered it. It arrived today..
The SS went through a whole big deal researching,and came up with the consensus,that repeating patterns were. Discernable to the human eye. They went to great lengths to avoid this,first with multiple silkscreens,then 18" rollers,and even combos of the two...
My question is..what color thread were camo Zeltbahns stitched with? The one I received was stitched in white thread..
Were originals done like this? And if so,wouldn't the human eye detect bright white thread on camo?
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
peiper1944

Re: Zeltbahn question..

Post by peiper1944 »

RZM wrote:I had been in the market for a blurred edge Zeltbahn for some time. I had seen the ones that SMW makes and heard nothing but good about them,so I looked on their Ebaystore and found one and ordered it. It arrived today..
The SS went through a whole big deal researching,and came up with the consensus,that repeating patterns were. Discernable to the human eye. They went to great lengths to avoid this,first with multiple silkscreens,then 18" rollers,and even combos of the two...
My question is..what color thread were camo Zeltbahns stitched with? The one I received was stitched in white thread..
Were originals done like this? And if so,wouldn't the human eye detect bright white thread on camo?
SMW camo gear are all stitched with white thread (helmet covers, smocks etc), this
apparantly was how they were done originally, also to add the SMW camo is printed
exactly how the original material was printed, ie = screen printed, a wall paper company
does it for them, also the pattern is repeated every so often the same as it was done
originally, even the "flaws" such as what was done originally are added such as the marking
crosses which were marked at the end of every consecutive pattern, imho SMW is the
closest you will ever get to buying SS camo unless you buy the real thing of course, as for
the white thread, it does stand out i give you that, just rub some mud onto the stitching
as i do, this will discolour it ;-)
Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
RZM

Re: Zeltbahn question..

Post by RZM »

Thanks for the quick reply pipes, cool..I just find it funny they were so extreme about trying to avoid discernable repeats in patterns on camo,then go and stitch straight white lines all over their zelts! Seems totally contradictory to the entire research process they went through with camouflage lol..thanks for the advice ..will do...and,I totally love this Zeltbahn...incredibly well made...and the colors look far better close up and in person than the photos on Ebay show..
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”