Field gear arrived from At the Front today :D

Moderator: berlin1945

RZM

Field gear arrived from At the Front today :D

Post by RZM »

Holy hell! Awesome gear. In short I got the texled type 1 Y straps(web version,commonly mistaken for "tropical Y straps) 2 black sani pouches,A frame and A frame bag(sturmgepak) EM Belt and buckle,M31 breadbag(chose it for the leather reinforcements on the belt straps) messtin Bakelite lard dish,and a spork...
Couldnt be more happy..everything looks spot on. The Y straps are pretty amazing. They were done on a 1920's shuttle loom by hand..bloody impressive . Im going for early war,about 41' and thats when you start seeing webstyle Y straps on all fronts. (cheaper alternative to the leather combat straps) my messtin looks more like late war,but when i stopped by Bill Bureau's place to pick up my medical shoulderboards today he loaned me a can of 1944 militaria's Feldgrau Dunkel pre/early war 1937/1940 spraypaint. Gonna hit the messtin up tommorow after work.
Bill was impressed. He said "You got good gear." He went on to tell me how he reenacted with the owner of ATF in the LAH. Said hes known him since he was 14..pretty cool. Always enjoy talking to Bill.. if any of you are thinking of buying from ATF,its a no brainer. Its more expensive,but incredible looking gear. All repros were made by disecting original gear. Youd be hard pressed to distinguish ATF gear once it breaks in, from original gear. It was like bloody Cristmas when the UPS truck arrived today. Ill post pics as soon as i can. Phones SD card wont read. One too many drops on the pavement lol...still need,in short order,my uniform to arrive,
Gasmask canister,entrenching tool,pistol holster,M40 helmet,Gamarschen,lowboots,medical tools and bandages,EK and it stamped...good grief..lol..but im well on my way ... :D
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
kiler

Re: Field gear arrived from At the Front today :D

Post by kiler »

Good for You. ATF has great gear but I also love owner`s rant on his website :lol:
RZM

Post by RZM »

Lmao! I know,I do as well..particularly his rant about "Living Historians" vs. Reenactors...brilliant stuff. To be honest I want to do skirmishes,its why I got into this hobby..the general public dosent give a damn on how to properly fold a Zelt,they want to see shit get blown up,and be entertained..
I want to live it. I know theres no way to simulate the true horror of it all,but I want to expirience it on a level where I may have some semblance of what it was like to be a soldat on the front lines.
Whereas i want to portray Ostfront combat,I am truely looking forward to my first winter event. At anyrate,i sure as hell dont want to fall in with the Farbs,whos main concern is a fasion show,and when the free meal is...
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

ATF got a lot of nice gear. But not everything is perfect. The Butter dish is post war for example, and doesn't look anything like the wartime model.
RZM

Post by RZM »

Mikkel wrote:ATF got a lot of nice gear. But not everything is perfect. The Butter dish is post war for example, and doesn't look anything like the wartime model.
This is true..about all it is, is actual bakelite..but itll do for now til i can find an original,or a better repro. Far better than the plastic ones ive seen..
The ATF one turns way more than the original quarter turn ones as well...
"Was ist das?"
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

The colour and the 'pattern' in the material is also way off.
Here are two originals:
http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H013065.html
http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H026068.html
RZM

Post by RZM »

Interesting..and expensive lol... I had wondered if there was a vartiety of colors. And how many colors these were made in..in both pictures i noticed that it didnt have the marbled bakelite look..which brings me to this question...in the meantime,until i have a spare 60 to 98$,would it be totally farb to paint the one i have black? Both the orange and black one look to be of one solid color and not marbled looking like you see in the Buchose 1 or 2 or any other bakelite ive seen..
"Was ist das?"
RZM

Post by RZM »

Interesting..and expensive lol... I had wondered if there was a vartiety of colors. And how many colors these were made in..in both pictures i noticed that it didnt have the marbled bakelite look..which brings me to this question...in the meantime,until i have a spare 60 to 98$,would it be totally farb to paint the one i have black? Both the orange and black one look to be of one solid color and not marbled looking like you see in the Buchose 1 or 2 or any other bakelite ive seen..
The reason i ask is my next two purchases are my helmet($350) and my boots. $500 not counting shipping...
Dont get me wrong. Id rather the genuine article,as im striving for accuracy,this would only be a temporary solution...an unnoticeable one from a distance to Jhon Q Public anyway lol...
"Was ist das?"
Pz Gren Hoffmann

Post by Pz Gren Hoffmann »

The description does not say they are spot on either, so i don't see the problem. And if you look on their site you can see that they now sell czech repro butter dosen,
and they are blowing the post war ones out for $3.99 :wink:
RZM

Post by RZM »

Given the choice between bakelite,and plastic,i chose bakelite. Unfotunately,the color is off...meh...least of my worries presently lol..rather than omit it entirely from my kit,for the time being ill paint it,and when i find a original ill swap them out. I certainly didnt want plastic,even if it looks better,because it just didnt exsist...
"Was ist das?"
ringer

Post by ringer »

wartime butter dishes are mostly either orange or black, but they were also made in red and a pale green ( but these are not common at all ) marble ones are postwar
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

Bakelite is a plastic?
Many of the repros are resin castings. If cast in black or other solid colour they are impossible to tell from a Bakelite model until you pick them up.
There are also some white butter dish with the quarter turn lid.
RZM

Post by RZM »

One thing i noted is the sound. Bakelite has a distinct sound when you take off or put on the lid..
"Was ist das?"
funker50

Post by funker50 »

It's a shame UK customs aka robin bastards add on another (usually large) charge ontop of PnP else I'd order a few things from him.
Vorwärts und aufwärts!
RZM

Post by RZM »

Link to a pic of my gear thus far. God I HATE friggin photobucket..
"Was ist das?"

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”