GSG STG 44

Moderator: berlin1945

ss knight

GSG STG 44

Post by ss knight »

What would be the actual chances if getting one of these licencesed in the UK or Eire where I live?

They are only a .22 single shot / not automatic rifle.

Any opinions regarding the legality?

http://www.gsg-waffen.de/site/index.php ... 44-tech-en
Unterscharführer der Waffen-SS.
Aufklärungsgruppemeyer

soest

Re: GSG STG 44

Post by soest »

I don't know about Ireland but you may be able to get permission on the UK mainland. Its not fully automatic so its not a prohibited weapon under the Firearms Act. As long as you explain explain why you want it, where it would be used etc as per applying for any other weapon that requires a FAC you may be granted permission. I wouldn't go as far as to guarantee it but if you don't ask you don't get. You could always contact your local police Firearms Licencing Department and they would advise you much better than I could.

Regards

Soest
nelz

Post by nelz »

The Yorkshire Wartime Experience http://www.ywe-event.info/
yorkshirewartimeexperience@live.com
elitemilitaria@live.co.uk
Mobile : 07413-707121
sapper44

Post by sapper44 »

They don't look all that much like the real ones up close. I am a gunsmith here in Texas and we have a couple in the store. The are made of pot metal over semi auto internals. the mag is plastic, with a cut out on the side, holds 30rds. It wouldn't be bad as a range gun or target rifle, but it wouldn't really last at a living history or in a reenactment, you would have to have some sort of supper .22 round to make it work as a blank gun, and a round hot enough to make it cycle as a blank gun would more than likely break the gun. The metal is soft, it would break off in chunks if dropped or hit on anything, fit and finish isn't really that nice, either.
"Peace is an extension of war by political means."
- Robert Heinlein
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Thanks Sapper44, I noted a couple have popped up around here in Switzerland and I started casting some curious glances at them, but all the pictures show a real looking mag. So there might a "superior" version or just a different mag? But if it couldn't be used for blanks...no point in getting it them anyway, an innert copy that has full moving parts is a quarter of the price.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Are you sure you guys are talking about the same replica?? It's just the descriptions are so different...
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
sapper44

Post by sapper44 »

Yep, same gun. GSG makes some nice replicas for people who can't get anything else. Here is a review from the owner of Atlantic Wall Blanks here in the US. Robb makes blank adaptors for all sorts of guns and blanks for just about anything you could think of.

I have had a BUNCH of guys asking about these for reenacting and wanted to make a report based on first observations.

The claim is that they are identical to the original except the caliber....

In my opinion as a range toy this is a good rifle. For reenactment purposes it is less than desirable.

1) The receiver is not steel, but cast from Zamak III (96% Zinc, 4% aluminum) This is the same material 99% of die cast toys are made of. Real military use would trash it is a week, for our use it would last a while but eventually it would be badly damaged. In short, the receiver is a die cast toy fit for range use. Don't get me wrong, they weigh 10.5 pounds but are still a die cast material.

2) The rear sight seems to be a POS and is weak. Again, ok for the range, not for field use.

3) Way too much freebore. There should be little freebore on a small round. To most this is nothing. To match shooters like me it is a huge warning sign. (Over simplified - it helps with chambering a dirty weapon or out of spec ammo but reduces accuracy.)

4) The mags are closed on the left side. The right side has the standard slot down the side that most high capacity .22L.R. mags have leaving it open to dirt, water, etc. It also looks like crap for our use.

5) The biggest problem, more than all the above, is the barrel stops half way under the front sight base. That puts it 1 1/4 inches short of the end of the barrel shroud that has the pressed on muzzle nut. The whole front end would have to be redesigned to take a BFA or be drilled and tapped which will be hard when you have to go in 1 and 1/4 inches before you even hit the barrel.

We have also seen that it needs hi velocity ammo to work. Match ammo won't cycle the action so blank selection will be problematic.

I think the rifle is what it was designed to be, a range toy. I think it is a poor choice for much more than a display piece for reenactment uses.

Robb

Read more: http://ww2reenactors.proboards.com/thre ... z2Vpiti1ZW
"Peace is an extension of war by political means."
- Robert Heinlein
ss knight

Post by ss knight »

Thanks Sapper44
If it won't work well with blank ammo, then its really not worth the effort for me to try to get it licenced, I think Irish laws would prevent me having one anyway as it looks like an assault rifle with a pistol grip.
Unterscharführer der Waffen-SS.
Aufklärungsgruppemeyer

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”