Mystery Gas Mask Tin

Moderator: berlin1945

gottmituns205

Mystery Gas Mask Tin

Post by gottmituns205 »

Here is a challenger for you all:

I acquired this gas mask tin from a traveling dealing at a military base exchange. I thought it would go great for my reenactor kit but it turns out this is the wrong type for me. So whilst researching this tin, I've come up with only a 1940 (possibly 39) manufacturing date.

Here is the kicker, the AUER is in a thicker stamp than any other I've seen. The one's with the thicker stamp have more writing under the stamp...this one is blank.

So I'm kinda puzzled what I have here.

pepperpot

Re: Mystery Gas Mask Tin

Post by pepperpot »

Replica?
graham
Walther

Post by Walther »

It's an early production (Reichswehr era) tin.

Never really found a definitive answer on why the 'Auer' tins were specifically given over to the civil defense types such as the Luftschutz. A similar tin was used by the army (but without Auer stamped into the lid), but these to were phased out eventually in favour of longer tins to give the troops more room for their gas kit.

I'd say the straps are repro, but the colour of the tin looks good for it's early war production.

Neil.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

Halle

Post by Halle »

I have one exactly the same , without the AUER marking , and with a Reichswehr eagle printed on the inside of the lid .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
gottmituns205

Post by gottmituns205 »

This one is really strange...no eagles, no markings...just the AUER printed on the top.

Anyone got a clue how much this would fetch? Hopeful to get at least 30 quid for it.

I failed to mention the straps are reproduction. Got em off of underwood.
Walther

Post by Walther »

It's probably pre Waffenampts etc, as Herr Halle says, it would be more likely to find a bluey purpleish Reichswehr eagle stamp if anything. Looking at the MP44 site, they were issued 1930-35.

Someone with a bit more knowledge than me might be able to clarify, but I don't think Civilian items had a Waffenampt stamped into them.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”