Home made reproduction dienstglas 6X30 case

Moderator: berlin1945

littletankman

Home made reproduction dienstglas 6X30 case

Post by littletankman »

I've decided to attempt a home made reproduction 6X30 bino case . I have made a wooden pattern which I will form plastic round . I have had a go to see if it works and hasn't gone to bad . The issues are I use two pieces of plastic but join them at the rear .Also I will have the spring latch issue same as the ZF4 scope box. My mate is lending me his original case to guide me on the finer details (thanks :wink: ) . I'm leaving this as it is for now as got other things to do first , but will be back on it soon.

What I'm aiming for .

Wooden pattern

Original

This is a just a dummy run to see if the plastic will bend to the shape . It needs some adjustment and all the other parts adding so it looks a bit bare at the mo. Also need to add the thicker lip around the join
Last edited by littletankman on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wilson

Re: Home made reproduction dienstglas 6X30 bakerlite case

Post by John Wilson »

Well done and a good effort, however what the F**k is bakerlite?
Stop using the word, it has never existed.
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Pug42

Re: Home made reproduction dienstglas 6X30 bakerlite case

Post by Pug42 »

Lots of people spell Bakelite wrong... not sure if the Germans actually called their phenolic resin that though?

Or perhaps they mean cases for very thin bakers! :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
littletankman

Re: Home made reproduction dienstglas 6X30 case

Post by littletankman »

Thanks all and I have now corrected the description. I now have an original on loan (thanks) . I need to make some alterations but the plastic I have is the correct thickens. In the pictures it probably doesn't look it but once finished it will look better.

Thanks for the advice Andy :)
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Ive now finished the three wooden ZF4 scope boxes so back on to this. After borrowing my mates original (thanks) I have re made the case . Here is how it is now I was hoping to keep the black as part of the colour but it required some filling :roll: . The latch is again a West German one . Its almost ok size wise but slightly different in design (might look into altering it later). Still work in progress .

I have a metal hing the correct length and amount of knuckles just need to cut down the width of the plates and mount it . Should work out and be stronger than what I was going to do .

littletankman

Post by littletankman »

I have now cut down the metal hing and mounted with small counter sunk bolts . The top has four fixings to allow the leather belt straps to be added . I have added the locking dimple for the spring catch , this was cut from one of my West German canteen sets . I drilled through it and added another counter sunk bolt I will fill the head of this one. Its not pretty but still more to do and work in progress.

littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Ive now added the rear metal work that forms the loops for the leather belt mounts . This is riveted to the case . And also the bottom lugs to clip the leather straps to. The hing requires more work to make it look part of the molded case.

littletankman

Post by littletankman »

I have now secured the hing this still needs finishing so it looks a molded part of the case . Ive added the d rings and mounts , riveted on like the originals . First time Ive done riveting , secured the padded part in the lid . And also added the leather straps these are from a brown leather belt I polished it black these are temporary until I find some black leather. Again still more to do .

littletankman

Post by littletankman »

I have now added some missing detail and fitted the lower cushioned pieces for the binos to sit on. I just need to add the four up right molded pieces and still need to make the hinge look like its a molded part of the case. All the parts that need to be removed prior to spraying can be removed .

littletankman

Post by littletankman »

I have just about finished this some areas of improvement still; need black leather straps and the paint came of the fixings on the leather pull cord and scratches in the plastic , not perfect but not to bad for a tricky little project.

Internal detail.
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

That looks awesome!
Kampfgruppe Steiner
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Thanks mate its not quiet the weight of an original . And need to get some black leather.

Thanks Andy
Stefan1944

Post by Stefan1944 »

I've been following your project with great interest.

Well done and very impressive... :shock:
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Hi thanks mate I thought about producing them but to much work and time involved .

Andy
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Andy,

It's still pretty good!
Kampfgruppe Steiner

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”