German rifle grenade

Moderator: berlin1945

DER SOLDATEN

German rifle grenade

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Anyone have any tricks on making a working rifle grenade launcher?
I want something that has distance but will not harm anyone or me.
Would be nice if I could make the round smoke to mark where it lands.
Some history on how these where issue would be a plus. :D
Thanks Mike
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image
askhati

Re: German rifle grenade

Post by askhati »

If you have a K98 that can fire blanks, and you have the muzzle attachment/launcher, then it could be a simple as using a lathe to turn out a dummy grenade and then firing it with a blank cartridge?
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

While these items may be legal where you come from(I doubt it though....), I'm not convinced its the best idea to discuss them on a forum that is UK based. These items would land you in prison in the UK, describing how to make and use them....probably not a good idea.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

GraemeMac wrote:While these items may be legal where you come from(I doubt it though....), I'm not convinced its the best idea to discuss them on a forum that is UK based. These items would land you in prison in the UK, describing how to make and use them....probably not a good idea.
I'm apologize I was not aware it was illegal in the UK.
We have reenactors use dummy rifle grenades and also mortars here in the US.
askhati

Post by askhati »

The operating principles behind a rifle grenade can be freely found on both Google and Wikipedia - your police would have a hard time locking up half the internet for reading/discussing it :P
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Yes found all the info online,as soon as I did there was a knock at the door. :lol:
Thank you for your help.
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

Most events here in the USA do not allow projectiles to be shot from bazookas and grenade launchers. The trouble of a horizontally fired projectile hitting a reenactor by chance is not worth the law suit. Although, the launcher is similar to a mortar, most event organizers don't want to tread those potentially dangerous waters.
Mortars appear to be the only weapon that some will allow. Some mortar crews have rounds that expode with a small charge, some with a smoke charge and some without either and will just be a weighted round about 6 ounces.
I do WW1 as well and rifle grenade launchers and trench mortars are active the whole event. Gotta wear a steel helmet though. All rounds are inspected prior.

Black powder grenades (usually the egg type) that are commonly used don't seem to be an issue. The Great War Association has strict guidelines on the powder charge (no more then 25 grains of black powder) and filler (usually baking soda because flour will ignite). At the morning safety meeting all grenades are tested in front of both sides and the grenadier must stand over his grenade when it goes off to ensure that the maker is confident of it's safety. This is particularly interesting with the Scotish units wearing their kilts....LOL.

mauser98
askhati

Post by askhati »

25 grams or 25 grain (powder measure) worth of powder?

On a related note (and I hope Soldaten does not mind me asking), where would be the best place to pick up one of these Schiessbecher launchers?
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

mauser98 wrote: (no more then 25 grains of black powder)
25 grams would be close to taking your foot off.
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

askhati wrote:The operating principles behind a rifle grenade can be freely found on both Google and Wikipedia - your police would have a hard time locking up half the internet for reading/discussing it :P

incorrect as looking up information and printing it off can be deemed as an offensive and also criminal as you are solicating information that may be of use to terrorists, typical example would be looking at restricted material on internet which is free to search but highly ilegal to save or to print off. there are lots of examples use common sense.

stay away from sites that would get you in trouble.
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

GraemeMac wrote:While these items may be legal where you come from(I doubt it though....), I'm not convinced its the best idea to discuss them on a forum that is UK based. These items would land you in prison in the UK, describing how to make and use them....probably not a good idea.

completely correct and a common sense approach to this subject graeme well said, the topic could be construed as soliciting and facilitating of illegality.

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
peterwulfhund

Post by peterwulfhund »

Unfortunately the UK is utterly pathetic in all it's needless bullshit :roll: ( I live there btw! )
askhati

Post by askhati »

If my comments above, as modified by a moderator, are seen as a tirade... Where I come from, it is called a logical argument, consisting of stating things that, logically, make sense.

I understand your concern, really. But follow your argument through to its logical conclusion: how can the police control the interpretation of information? Take a gun club for example, where people talk about which powder loadings to use for optimal range and performance during competition shoots. Surely that same information could be used by an assassin to murder people? Or a forum where racing enthusiasts discuss ways to increase the performance of regular civilian vehicles - surely that information could be used by criminals trying to avoid the law? Or an actors forum, containing information on makeup and acting techniques - surely even that information could be abused?

Context - it makes all the difference.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

askhati wrote:If my comments above, as modified by a moderator, are seen as a tirade... Where I come from, it is called a logical argument, consisting of stating things that, logically, make sense.

I understand your concern, really. But follow your argument through to its logical conclusion: how can the police control the interpretation of information? Take a gun club for example, where people talk about which powder loadings to use for optimal range and performance during competition shoots. Surely that same information could be used by an assassin to murder people? Or a forum where racing enthusiasts discuss ways to increase the performance of regular civilian vehicles - surely that information could be used by criminals trying to avoid the law? Or an actors forum, containing information on makeup and acting techniques - surely even that information could be abused?

Context - it makes all the difference.

my apologies as my post came in over your last one i have now corrected this, top an extent i would agree with you , but the pit falls of what is the core of the op to start with were referring to making then a modification to what has been made, now in this country to make a viable weapon is illegal , in other countries it may not be, however those in this juristiction must obey and comply with the law and to give information either openly or covertly to do so is a criminal offence in this jurustication, and yes at times laws can appear to be tiresome but they are there to protect the people even if some do not agree.

my reasoning is as such

the legality of what you write should be common sense , solicitating for details on the production of a grenade launcher is not common sense nor would it be permissable in certain juristictions, it is always wise to be on the right side of legislation and not fall foul of its down sides. however the onus is upon posters to be responsible for what they post up and also that they should respect the laws of the land as well, in that solicating for blue prints for a grenade launcher, also complaints about the british police force would not be approipriate in this juristication as in the uk re-enactors observe the law and respect that there are an amount of topics that they should not engage upon. in south africa perhaps you may well be able to do what ever you please and have what ever you want to and that is fine whilst residing in south africa to make hay whilst the sun shines, but here we have well defined restrictions and people respect the boundaries that have been set and those that dont end up with a cell.

GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

There is no legal use for a grenade launcher in the UK, outside of military and police use...
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”