Food container seal

Moderator: berlin1945

Botty

Food container seal

Post by Botty »

I have an original food container but the seal has become hard and no longer seals. Any idea of what I can do to restore this to working order?
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
Peiper

Re: Food container seal

Post by Peiper »

Botty wrote:I have an original food container but the seal has become hard and no longer seals. Any idea of what I can do to restore this to working order?
Is it a rubber seal Botty ??
I did read it somewhere you have to soak them in something
but not sure what it was now as i read this some years ago,
try google you might find an answer ??

Good luck mate :wink:
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

You could try what I did with my 5L and 10L Trinkwasser, found a local rubber company that produced washers and seals and bought some offcut material of the right thickness and cut my own. If you are lucky they might have the red colour, I had a choice of beige or black... Both are watertight now. The company could cut it for you but it was quite expensive as I recall.
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

silicon grease, (from plumbers/heatings suppliers), comes in a small tube or pot, about a £10 er, been using it over 25 years in the boiler business to seal O rings. Did my sons sports car door/window seals and didnt have to pay out over £200.00 for new seals. IF the seals are perished, then this wont work and new seals will have to be made. Search google for 'silicon rubber' possible silicon rubber tubing, various sizes.
graham
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

As Pug42 suggests, there are various vendors out there that manufacture and sell custom made seals and O-rings for various industries. If they won't sell you offcuts, speak to them about what you need. Most are very accomadating, as 'custom' work is very common.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
Enfieldfan

Post by Enfieldfan »

Try vegtable oil. I put it on my seals after all events and it has worked well.
2./Kp. Deutschland Rgt.
Das Reich Division
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

These seals are massiove rubber ones. If they are to be remade they will most likely have to glue several layers together. I will try to see if I have a spare one. Vaseline oil might help but if very hard I am afraid you are in trouble.
Botty

Post by Botty »

Thanks for the info.

The seal is rock hard. I will try to run a thin bead of clear bathroom sealant around it in the first instance.

With the idea for vegetable oil/vasline, isn't rubber perished by such things?
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”