Info on the German Speisentragers

Moderator: berlin1945

Kurt Schulte

Info on the German Speisentragers

Post by Kurt Schulte »

I am looking for some info on the german food carriers, as I have never handled one. I am interested in buying some to keep food in on weekend long events. Are they insulated? So I may keep Ice or Dry ice in one and be able to cool food for a weekend? or are they just a metal container. Only info I have read on them is that you place hot water between the inner and outer linings to keep food warm. Thanks for any info you have on them. If they are not insulated I may have to continue using US Mermite containers and Hide them.
Obergefreiter Kurt Schulte
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
Pug42

Re: Info on the German Speisentragers

Post by Pug42 »

The one I have and all the others I have seen do not have insulation, the inner liner lifts out so yes hot water could be put in the outer container (It would make your back hot when carrying it though!?) or it could be stuffed with rags or paper instead to slow down heat loss from the inner tub. Ice or dry ice would melt really quickly so that idea probably wouldn't work!

PM me if you want some pics...
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Didn't they use straw/hay as one possible insulator for these?
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

I would imagine they did, excellent insulating properties, lightweight and often readily available!

Never seen any pics of these things in use showing the inners so pure speculation really... but common sense implies something of the sort being done.

Anybody got any pics/reference for what was packed in as insulation? Was there even a specially made 'sleeve' that went inside, perhaps horsehair even??
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Kurt Schulte

Post by Kurt Schulte »

One more question on these so I will bring this thread back, a group mate and myself decided to buy a few of these from Zib Militaria. Although post war, they closely match and are 100% useable. They have two sizes available, 12L and 25L. What size were the most common originals?
Obergefreiter Kurt Schulte
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

The ones sold by Zib Militaria are quite far from the originals. The shape is close but the lid is quite different. It does not even have a spoon. Guess it is east block manufacture.

There were aluminum copies made post ww2 in Norway. Some of them might even be ww2 but I doubt it.

As far as I know no insulation was used. When the lid is closed it will keep warm/cold for quite a while till you open it.

Regards
Volunteer

Post by Volunteer »

The small one are czech Essbehälter, the big are from the east german army (NVA) and were czech made, too.

http://www.raeer.com/shopexd.asp?id=22002

http://www.raeer.com/shopexd.asp?id=30673
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

This one is closer but it still does not have the spoon. I think we switched to plastic ones late 60’s or early 70’s. Here are pictures of an original and a post WW2 Norwegian one. As you can see they are copies.

Regards
Attachments
P1000768.JPG
P1000768.JPG (72.74 KiB) Viewed 5735 times
P1000767.JPG
P1000767.JPG (56.97 KiB) Viewed 5735 times
Norwegian.jpg
Norwegian.jpg (128.16 KiB) Viewed 5735 times
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

The spoon. Often missing.