name this weapon please

Moderator: berlin1945

berlin1945

name this weapon please

Post by berlin1945 »

name this weapon please
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
Olly

Re: name this weapon please

Post by Olly »

Mauser 1918 T-Gewehr, I need to get out more!
hansritter

Post by hansritter »

I'm fairly sure it's a Mauser 13,2 mm (.525 inches)Tank Abwehr Gewehr Mod. 18, missing the bipod?
Last edited by hansritter on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feldgendarmerie Hauptfeldwebel Johann Ritter.
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

is it rare

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
hansritter

Post by hansritter »

Not often found outside museums, IWM has one some in France and USA, wouldnt be suprised is a few in private collections.

The short version weighted 18.6 kg with the original cast-iron bipod (17.6 kg, with the mg 08/15 bipod). The “short version” was 158 cm long while the standard version was 168 cm long. Each German infantry regiment was issued two of them, one for the front lines and one for training. The rifle was nicknamed the “elephant rifle” by Mauser and the troops.
Its powerful recoil broke the shoulders of some untrained shooters. It had a two man crew,The first crew member (and shooter) carried a bag with 12,13 mm Mauser cartridges and the rifle.

The second crew member carried two canvas bags with 20cartridges each, the bipod, and a crate with 72 cartridges.
The crew normally alternated when shooting, since after 2or 3 shots, since most of them complained about headaches and dizziness. :shock:

This rifle had a total production run of 15,800 units.
Last edited by hansritter on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Feldgendarmerie Hauptfeldwebel Johann Ritter.
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

S'a big bastard for sure.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

thank you very much

mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

A friend of mine has a beautiful one in California. Just traded him a late pattern bipod for an earlier pattern for my 08/15.....very sweet. Another buddy has one that was converted to .50 cal that he shoots. Kind of the Grandfather of the Barrett .50. He sometimes brings it out to WW1 events along with his Granatenwerfer. Pretty hard weapon to find on the loose and impossible to get parts for.

mauser98
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

mauser98 wrote:A friend of mine has a beautiful one in California. Just traded him a late pattern bipod for an earlier pattern for my 08/15.....very sweet. Another buddy has one that was converted to .50 cal that he shoots. Kind of the Grandfather of the Barrett .50. He sometimes brings it out to WW1 events along with his Granatenwerfer. Pretty hard weapon to find on the loose and impossible to get parts for.

mauser98
Does the thing shoot? What's the recoil like!! :shock:

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

I haven't fired it with live ammo, only blanks. He stated the recoil is pretty robust & it shoots pretty well. He basically was shooting steel plates at distances to see how it perfomed. I certainly would like to put a few live rounds (& only a few ..LOL)through it one day. Heavy as all hell too!

mauser98

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”