MG-34/42 equipment/gear.

Moderator: berlin1945

Peiper

MG-34/42 equipment/gear.

Post by Peiper »

Hi all
Opened this thread to put your pics/questions about MG-34/42 gear/equipment, couldn't find a relevent thread, :?:
anyway here's some pics of my Laufschutzer (MG spare barrel container) i picked up from fleabay, it arrived this
morning.

I knew it was dated but going from the original pics from there couldn't tell the condition or whether it had the original
paintwork etc ??

Looking at it now i would say it was unissued, was going to re-spray it ordnance tan but think i'll leave it as found, apart
from a few nicks on the outside the interior looks mint, the colour is very dark/slate grey by the way, anyway what you
think gents??, any opinions welcome. :wink:

Cheers, Pipes
MG spare barrel container pic1.jpg
MG spare barrel container pic1.jpg (19.27 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
MG spare barrel container pic2.jpg
MG spare barrel container pic2.jpg (21.98 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
MG spare barrel container pic3.jpg
MG spare barrel container pic3.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
gurowski

Re: MG-34/42 equipment/gear.

Post by gurowski »

The end piece for the carrying has broken off and been welded back on at some stage, so not unissued, and not the original paint either. But no matter its still an original item.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Intresting, what about the paint work, how can you tell ???, it looks flawless as if it has been put on in a factory not
DIY/ runs or marks, maybe i should post a closer pic to show you what i mean, tbh i saw the weld and my thoughts were
the sling was put on later, i paid £60 for it was that too much then ??

Anyway thanks for your thoughts gurowski, anymore guys :?:

Cheers Pipes
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

People can paint without leaving tell tale signs you know, not everyone is shit at it ;)

He is right, its been welded. If the paint were original and untouched, the repair weld would scorch the surrounding paint.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

GraemeMac wrote:People can paint without leaving tell tale signs you know, not everyone is shit at it ;)

He is right, its been welded. If the paint were original and untouched, the repair weld would scorch the surrounding paint.
Cheers GreameMac, i can see its been re-welded at some point, but im thinking it has been done during the period (WW2),
due to the fact it is too well done (professional) the previous paint has been stripped off without scrapping, and looks like its
been dipped then to get the paint off because inside there is not a mark or slightest blemish, also the re-paint must've been air-
brushed/air-sprayed on because it is as smooth as silk, basically an excellent painter, i wonder if i can get hold of him to spray
my motorbike after i came off it lol :lol:

Tbh i think the strap fitting has been welded/repaired during the period and repainted in the Army workshop imho, there is a bit
of discolouring near the weld, and the end panel looks a slightly different shade to be honest, if you compare the pics, but
intresting thoughts all the same??

At one point did think the strap was replaced because other Laufschutzer containers ive come across have a thin/flimsy tan web
strap, this one resembles the type found on gasmask tins, slightly thicker and grey in colour :?:

Anyway cheers guys for your comments :wink:
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

Cheers GreameMac, i can see its been re-welded at some point, but im thinking it has been done during the period (WW2), due to the fact it is too well done (professional)
So you mean that no one post WW2 would be a good enough welder to do this job then?
People fail to realise that WW2 items were used post war for many years. Who knows it may well have been welded in the 60's
the previous paint has been stripped off without scrapping, and looks like its
been dipped then to get the paint off because inside there is not a mark or slightest blemish, also the re-paint must've been air-
brushed/air-sprayed on because it is as smooth as silk, basically an excellent painter, i wonder if i can get hold of him to spray my motorbike after i came off it lol :lol:
Bead blasting will do the job without leaving any marks. Then a respray with commercial paint mixed to match the original colours.
I did my lafette and numerous barrel carriers like this, and after a few years of wear and tear, they are starting to loook more original.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Anyway heres the other few bits ive got together, not much at the mo, but only been getting a few
odds and ends over the last month or so, im picking machine gunners accessories/equipment up
where i can find it, got my eye on an MG spanner now lol, the "banjo" MG-oiler i picked up last week,
already had one ammo box which i got a while ago and resprayed it ordnance tan, the other one i
picked up a couple of weeks ago, this one was already tan, think somebody else has done it? looks ok
though, now ive got the Laufschutzer added to the list, some more bits to go lol :) (see-below)
MG-34.jpg
MG-34.jpg (27.88 KiB) Viewed 5984 times
Pipes :wink:
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

gurowski wrote: So you mean that no one post WW2 would be a good enough welder to do this job then?
People fail to realise that WW2 items were used post war for many years. Who knows it may well have been welded in the 60's

Bead blasting will do the job without leaving any marks. Then a respray with commercial paint mixed to match the original colours.
I did my lafette and numerous barrel carriers like this, and after a few years of wear and tear, they are starting to loook more original.
Thanks for your comments gurowski, as i say i was thinking it may have been used Post WW2 because of the re-weld and
different web strap, who knows for sure ??, as everybody knows the Yugo's used ex German MG equipment alongside their MG-
53's and even made their own copies, but saying that the paintwork looks "blued" steel more than anything, thats how smooth it
looks, thats why my thoughts were it was original paintwork.

TBH i have had enough original gear pass through my possession over the years to tell if something has been resprayed or not,
you can't really see with these pics, anyway it doesnt really matter, as i said nobody actually knows for sure unless i take it to
an "expert" and he has it in his hands so to speak, well it looks the part and is original that will do me lol :wink:
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

as i said nobody actually knows for sure unless i take it to
an "expert" and he has it in his hands so to speak, well it looks the part and is original that will do me lol
and TBH thats what matters, it is an original item. FYI, one of my 34 barrel carriers has the exact same stamping as yours, but it also has a Waa stamp just over from the date. A slight variation but I wonder why?
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Thanks for your comments Gurowski :D
I wonder if i could have your opinions on this Gurtrommel i picked up off fleabay?, it came this morning
and was sent from Holland, obviously its been repainted and covered in this Postwar crappy paint which
i will try and re-paint myself, either ordnance tan or dark grey, anyway can't see the markings because of
the paint, where are they usually located on the drum :?:

Cheers Pipes :wink:
Gurtrommel pic 1.jpg
Gurtrommel pic 1.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 5878 times
Gurtrommel pic 2.jpg
Gurtrommel pic 2.jpg (17.48 KiB) Viewed 5878 times
Gurtrommel pic 3.jpg
Gurtrommel pic 3.jpg (16.2 KiB) Viewed 5878 times
Olly

Post by Olly »

The code should be on the back near the release catch.
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Looks like a Yugo to me. As Olly said, there should be a code and sometimes date on the rear by the catch.

That said, I had an original that came in yugo paint.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Cheers guys :)
Where about on the catch?, on one of the
ends or near the catch on the drum itself ??

Regards Peiper
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

On the back plate, NEAR the catch. No amount of paint should obscure the maker code. If you can't see it it ain't there.
Olly

Post by Olly »

I think the date and code are on the edge nearest the release catch.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”