Original German Canvas Rucksack

Moderator: berlin1945

feldman

Original German Canvas Rucksack

Post by feldman »

Lets say that you plan to get an original German canvas rucksack for use in the field. How should you take care of it ?

-Wash it ? Should you ? Could you ? What detergent ?
-Repair possible holes, then what ? Possible treatments of the canvas ?
-Leather parts, if any, leather balm ?

I have many question marks, please give input regarding above questions, not that the rucksack shouldnt be used.

Cheers
Retired & Armed
Botty

Re: Original German Canvas Rucksack

Post by Botty »

This is what I have done with a mid 50's german rucksack:

1) Sew up any holes with waxed cotton thread. If larger holes I would have patched the area, again sewing with waxed cotton thread
2) Multiple applications of leather balm/saddle balm/lederfett until leather nice and supple. Allow to soak in for 24 hours between applications
3) Brush down to remove any surface dirt.
4) Wash? I didn't bother but I suppose you could hand wash with a gentle hand wash detergent .
5) Repeat leather treatment if washed
6) Spray or brush on 'Storm brush on canvas proofer'. This is designed for older canvas tents and will properly waterproof the rucksack
7) Use
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
feldman

Post by feldman »

Alright, thanks for your input.

I found this website http://www.stormwaterproofing.com/appli ... -cure.html

So.. repair first.. gentle wash.. and waterproofing with this ?
Retired & Armed
Botty

Post by Botty »

I would use this:

http://www.stormwaterproofing.com/appli ... er-1l.html

go for the specific canvas waterproofer rather than something intended for all fabrics.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

With my three originals (well two now, recently sold one), i soaked in the bath with some soap flakes
to just get the surface dirt out, i didnt want to use detergent or washing machine obviously because of
causing damage, imho you would use products which would be used in WW2 nothing more, any holes i used
basic cotton thread in natural tan colour, its doubtful they would have fancy nylon/waxed threads in WW2 :?:

Then when dried, the leather parts (straps/edging) i used the natural (clear) shoe polish incase any gets on
the material, thats all you can do really, anything more vigourous than that could cause damage or using modern
products it would de-value the item, that goes for restoring any WW2 German item, try and use authentic materials
and products when restoring/repairing, thats my advice :wink:

Pipes
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Peiper wrote: its doubtful they would have fancy nylon/waxed threads in WW2
So who was it that were amongst the pioneers in using synthetic materials as substitutes for scarce natural fibres?
German uniform cloth was a mix of wool and?
The linings were made of?
Waxed threads? Been around for centuries, waxed linen thread being a common one, often used to sew leather.
feldman

Post by feldman »

I have fixed the right tan/creme colored cotton thread. I also spoke to my mother ( yes, again - shes quite handy with these sort of things ) and suggested natural soap. Same type of soap they used in the 40s, made from pine oil, i think. Soft hand wash with a little soap.
Retired & Armed
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Stigroadie wrote:
Peiper wrote: its doubtful they would have fancy nylon/waxed threads in WW2
So who was it that were amongst the pioneers in using synthetic materials as substitutes for scarce natural fibres?
German uniform cloth was a mix of wool and?
The linings were made of?
Waxed threads? Been around for centuries, waxed linen thread being a common one, often used to sew leather.
Fair comment Stig, i was reffering to them modern waxed nylon threads used for modern tents etc :)
Botty

Post by Botty »

Agree Stig.

The waxed cotton thread I use is from a roll bought a while ago from Landser in USA. It's the stuff used to stitch the leather work in the original construction of German field gear like canteen covers, bayonet frogs and ................ rucksacks.

and soap is a ........ detergent!
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Peiper wrote:i was reffering to them modern waxed nylon threads used for modern tents
Then why not say so?
Half the spats you get into could be averted if you only typed with clarity.
Do they use such a thing in tent construction? I've seen it for leather work.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Stigroadie wrote:
Peiper wrote:i was reffering to them modern waxed nylon threads used for modern tents
Then why not say so?
Half the spats you get into could be averted if you only typed with clarity.
Do they use such a thing in tent construction? I've seen it for leather work.
That white nylon thread they use in tentage, i assumed Botty was refferring to this, my appologies, now i'll
stand in the naughty corner :D
feldman

Post by feldman »

Botty wrote:and soap is a ........ detergent!
Well.. in Sweden, soap is called "Såpa". Soap can also mean "Tvål", which is for hands :wink:
Not many use these as detergent ( Tvättmedel ) for washing clothes these days. I was thinking of the first one below.

Såpa ( Soap )

Tvål ( Soap )

Tvättmedel ( Detergent )

Retired & Armed
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

feldman wrote:
Botty wrote:and soap is a ........ detergent!
Well.. in Sweden, soap is called "Såpa". Soap can also mean "Tvål", which is for hands :wink:
Not many use these as detergent ( Tvättmedel ) for washing clothes these days. I was thinking of the first one below.
:lol: :lol: Thanks for claryfing Feldman !!
Botty

Post by Botty »

As we are all clarifying:

1) Why waxed cotton for the repair rather than normal cotton? It is thicker so will tend to act less as a 'cheese wire' to tear through the canvas you have sewn up, it is stronger and will act to repel water through the hole you have sewn up. I never mentioned waxed nylon and why would you ever wax nylon in making anything? It is naturally water repellent.
2) Note I did say hand wash with a gentle detergent. I assumed that most people would take that instruction to mean NOT to use an automatic washing machine detergent.
3) Dictionary definition of detergent for peiper = 'any cleansing agent, including soap'. I realise Feldman's first language is not English so accept he may have needed clarification.
4) Proof your canvas (just like originals) else you will have very wet stuff in use. Proofing with an appropriate product should not alter the feel or look of the item so would not detract from 'originalness'.
feldman

Post by feldman »

Alright :wink: thanks ALL for your input.
Retired & Armed

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”