Original German Canvas Rucksack

Moderator: berlin1945

Stigroadie

Re: Original German Canvas Rucksack

Post by Stigroadie »

Botty wrote:Sew up any holes with waxed cotton thread. If larger holes I would have patched the area, again sewing with waxed cotton thread
Peiper wrote:That white nylon thread they use in tentage, i assumed Botty was refferring to this
You didn't have to assume, he said what he used.... :wink:
The only thing I know of that uses wax nylon thread is leather work and 'beading', threading beads on string, nylon string, that is waxed. Or not.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Stigroadie wrote:
Botty wrote:Sew up any holes with waxed cotton thread. If larger holes I would have patched the area, again sewing with waxed cotton thread
Peiper wrote:That white nylon thread they use in tentage, i assumed Botty was refferring to this
You didn't have to assume, he said what he used.... :wink:
The only thing I know of that uses wax nylon thread is leather work and 'beading', threading beads on string, nylon string, that is waxed. Or not.
No probs Stig
Modern waxed nylon thread is used in all modern bag/rucksack and outdoor gear manufacturing thats why i naturally
assumed he was referring to this because he didnt clarify except to say he was using modern products, anyway no
drama :)
Botty

Post by Botty »

i naturally assumed he was referring to this because he didnt clarify except to say he was using modern products
Where did I say I was using modern products? I quite clearly said COTTON thread, you went off on the nylon tangent. The proof formula I suggested has been used since before the war. I suppose I did intend for a modern soap detergent to be used, silly me, didn't clarify that one.

Internet search has only shown up waxed nylon being used in saddlery and beading. Nothing about outdoor gear and examining a few pieces in the house shows plain nylon thread in each case on modern outdoor gear (not that I own much as all the outdoor gear I use is 1930-1950 era).
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Botty wrote:
i naturally assumed he was referring to this because he didnt clarify except to say he was using modern products
Where did I say I was using modern products? I quite clearly said COTTON thread, you went off on the nylon tangent. The proof formula I suggested has been used since before the war. I suppose I did intend for a modern soap detergent to be used, silly me, didn't clarify that one.

Internet search has only shown up waxed nylon being used in saddlery and beading. Nothing about outdoor gear and examining a few pieces in the house shows plain nylon thread in each case on modern outdoor gear (not that I own much as all the outdoor gear I use is 1930-1950 era).
No prob Botty, as i said i naturally assumed you would be using modern products because you mentioned
a 1950's rucksack and you didn't specify what you were using ??

No cause to get worked up, it was a genuine assumption, if theres a problem and you want to PM me
privately (like i did with you previously about a seperate incident) by all means, anyway life goes on :)

Cheers Pipes
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Jesus Pipes he DID specify. COTTON. It's in his post, it's in my quote, in bold. Cotton.
Read the posts people make not what you think they make. Cotton.
The holes in his 50s rucksack? He fixed them with cotton, waxed cotton. COTTON.
Stop trying to back pedal and just accept you got it wrong. Cotton.
It doesn't hurt to be wrong and then admit it. Cotton.
It happens all the time. That's how advances are made and how education works.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Lol ok Stig, i didnt see the cotton part i must admit,
im using the forum on a mobile phone and the print is very small,
didnt see till later, my mistake, i'll go and stand in the corner again lol :D
mm1977

Post by mm1977 »

It's like a comedy sketch lmao
the 4th reich

Post by the 4th reich »

so can we clarify he was using waxed COTTON?? :lol:
MANNERS COST NOTHING!!!!

Hauser

Post by Hauser »

mm1977 i'll send him some if it will stop the falling out ! :shock: have you had a go with yours yet ? ps run it up a candle if you want it waxed
AFRA member
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Hauser wrote:mm1977 i'll send him some if it will stop the falling out ! :shock: have you had a go with yours yet ? ps run it up a candle if you want it waxed
:D Thanks newbie
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Yup thats me ! :D I think i was i the Newbee that jumped to your defence when they said your helmet wasn't genuine you was selling ?? I am sure it was ?.... anyway. do you want the linen cotton ? ?? if you do .. PM me your address and i'll send you the proper stuff . its dated 1937 and strong as F**K best bet is buy a sewing awl off ebay and get going .. on Youtube type sewing awl ...and get all the info on the first lock off stitch Best Regards Rich :D for got to say i have all colours, as long as its white .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
AFRA member
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Hauser wrote:Yup thats me ! :D I think i was i the Newbee that jumped to your defence when they said your helmet wasn't genuine you was selling ?? I am sure it was ?.... anyway. do you want the linen cotton ? ?? if you do .. PM me your address and i'll send you the proper stuff . its dated 1937 and strong as F**K best bet is buy a sewing awl off ebay and get going .. on Youtube type sewing awl ...and get all the info on the first lock off stitch Best Regards Rich :D for got to say i have all colours, as long as its white .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers for that Hauser :D
Ive got some tbh, some original thread i picked off fleabay

I just noticed my other "usual" fan club commenting again lol
Luckilly ive developed a thick skin and some may say thicker head ,

You know what they say though?? "Midlands born and bred, strong
in the arm thick in the head" :lol: :lol:

Regards Pipes :wink:
the 4th reich

Post by the 4th reich »

Peiper wrote:
You know what they say though?? "Midlands born and bred, strong
in the arm thick in the head" :lol: :lol:

Regards Pipes :wink:

May i just add this doesnt include all midlands people lol :mrgreen:
MANNERS COST NOTHING!!!!

Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Pipes... offer stands if you need some no probs..... Midlands ???? I am in Derbyshire ! :lol: :lol:
AFRA member

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”