K98 - Wood work stripping?? does anyone know how to do it

Moderator: berlin1945

J.Klinsmann

K98 - Wood work stripping?? does anyone know how to do it

Post by J.Klinsmann »

Hi Guys

My lads got a nice k98, but its covered in the red varnish shelac, any I deas how to get rid / strip it off

Thanks for all the advice in advance guys

Nick
3Kp 1st SS PZ Div Second Battle Group

tubbystail

Re: K98 - Wood work stripping?? does anyone know how to do i

Post by tubbystail »

Very fine sandpaper or wire wool,its a rubbish finish,you can probably get it off with your fingernail,very fine sandpaper should do the job without damaging the woodwork or any markings
Botty

Post by Botty »

Nitromore, wire wool and elbow grease. There has been posts in the past about this on the forum. I did a quick search but didn't turn them up. Talk nice to Baggy pants and he might tell you.

Of course you need to strip ALL the metal parts off first. Google is the place to go to go to get step by step info to do that.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

I've used a heat gun to good effect on shellac on both k98's and Mosin Nagants. Destroys it just like paint, but care needs to be taken not to scorch the wood.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
J.Klinsmann

Post by J.Klinsmann »

Thanks Lads

Much appreciated, I have tried a bit of Nitromors didnt get a very good result with it

cheers guys
Nick

berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

nick k98 strip it down easy to do only a few screws and a clip band at the top , take base plate of as well , this leaves you with all metallic parts and also wooden furniture ,

with metallic parts cleanse wearing plastic gloves and with a cloth dipped in metholated spirits to take all grease and oil and finger oil marks off, then apply blueing agent , either in a paste form or in a liquid form , if in a liquid form you will need to neutralize in water , just read instructions

now the wood work , two ways to do it

1. bring to a dipping furniture restoration place they will dip for 5 to 10 pounds in concentrated nitro morse and this actually is about the price of a tin of 250 mls of nitro morse so its economically effective and they will also deaden the effect of the nitro morse afterwards ,

now once home leave to dry a day or two , purchase 500 grain wet and dry or sand paper , wet and dry is coloured a dark charcoal colour and rub in the one direction it will not erase your chicken stamps at all .

when finished clean with metholated spirits normally a purple colour and then use linoseed oil / stain to apply to the wood work and the first coat will soak into your wood not giving a mega colouration effect , but leave 24 hrs and come back apply another coat leave 24 hours and if happy with colour thats you if not apply another coat , the linoseed oil will also darken ever so slightly over time for you so do not use too heavily a concentration of coats . also the linoseed stain will retain the moist in your wood and stop the furniture from becoming brittle and lighter in weight over time.

or you can on second option brush on nitro morse and use edge of a stanley knife blade and scrap of the varnish , and use gloves and eye protection ,also if nitro morse gets on your hands or eyes USE WATER TO KILL EFFECT IMMEDIATELY .
also use intermittantly either fine wire wool or 250 to 500 grain wet and dry
if you need any other assistance just ask
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
J.Klinsmann

Post by J.Klinsmann »

Hi Mairtin

Blimey thanks so much for that my friend fantastic bit of info, I will take it to the furniture dipping guys and let them tak care of it .......awsome

Cheers Mate

Nick

berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

nick remember the dipping in nitro morse will keep your chick marks intact also you butt plate use an abbrasive kitchen hobb cleaner it willbe granulated and will etch into the dirty crevaces and clean them before i would clean the gun metal with metholated spirits i would use cillet bang to to get rid of all the dug in dirt as well and it will then be ready for spirits , now one hint is to ensure all your screws are kept safe so place in a plastic bag and also put in a place you know you wil remember these also need to be blued and cleansed etc, one thing i do is when you remove the small front wooden barrel cover where the band is , you should place a bit of paper sealed in plastic between the barrel and wood so if ever your gun is lifted at a show all you need do is ask offending person to remove this piece of wood and taped inside are your details who would realise this has been done, i mark my guns in my own fashion as i had one lifted once by mistake i add and person had a 7.62 version and in seconds i was able to demonastrate what was in his hands was mine .

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
J.Klinsmann

Post by J.Klinsmann »

Hi Mairtin

And thanks again, if I get any probs Mairtin then I will give you a nudge if you dont mind?

Cheers mate

Nick

berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

your welcome nick do you know how to break it down and disassemble it

J.Klinsmann

Post by J.Klinsmann »

berlin1945 wrote:your welcome nick do you know how to break it down and disassemble it
LOL LOL Mairtin

You read my mind..........nope I dont it looks fairly straight forward am I right?

Nick

berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

if you have an email address sent it via pm i will break one down for you and photo graph it as i so that way you will know who to do it

DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”