Accurate Zeltbahn Reproduction?

Moderator: berlin1945

Sheikh Al Stranghi

Re: Accurate Zeltbahn Reproduction?

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

I sent a couple messages a few months ago in German, but they were never answered. I'll try the other options, thanks!
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

DER SOLDATEN wrote:Do the gromets hold up well in these
The grommets are a weak spot on all zelts, original or repro.
I now have one of the zib zelts and I would not think that their grommets are any better or worse than the other cheaper repros.
The pattern looks pretty good, non of the obvious mistakes. I got the one with the similar coloured sides. There is a visible difference but it is subtle. If you want a marked spring to fall variation then ask for it.
The cost cutting shows in several places when compared to Panther and SMW.
The centre seam is not neatly hemmed on one side, the raw cut cloth edge is visible over the length of the seam.
The grommets seem a little untidy, they seem sturdy, I tried to pull them out with my hands and could not, but they look scruffy.
For the money its a good deal, better by far than Sturm but I'll be sticking to Panther, SMW and originals.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Stigroadie wrote:
DER SOLDATEN wrote:Do the gromets hold up well in these
The grommets are a weak spot on all zelts, original or repro.
I now have one of the zib zelts and I would not think that their grommets are any better or worse than the other cheaper repros.
The pattern looks pretty good, non of the obvious mistakes. I got the one with the similar coloured sides. There is a visible difference but it is subtle. If you want a marked spring to fall variation then ask for it.
The cost cutting shows in several places when compared to Panther and SMW.
The centre seam is not neatly hemmed on one side, the raw cut cloth edge is visible over the length of the seam.
The grommets seem a little untidy, they seem sturdy, I tried to pull them out with my hands and could not, but they look scruffy.
For the money its a good deal, better by far than Sturm but I'll be sticking to Panther, SMW and originals.
Good to know, my last event was spent in a Stum tent (4 zelt) like to froze to death :lol: .It was so thin and I know none om them are water proof even originals but cheeeeezzzz there are limits.That tent would not even keep the due out.Thanks to my trusty original and canned heat I survived. :D
The gromets on them popped out on the first use. Of course I'm sure you know they do not button to the originals.One on them was not complete on the fall side (brown was missing) but I kept in anyway and use only the spring.I will check out Panther and SMW.Could use a link for SMW.
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Normally this is the best place to buy the gear;
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SMWHOLESALE-STORE?_rdc=1
But as you can see they are busy and not taking orders.
Next best is;
http://www.1944militaria.com/
All the camo stuff is SMW.
There are others who stock SMW from time to time like;
http://www.atthefrontshop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=45
but take care, they have their own and Chinese stuff listed.
Perhaps Richard might be able to help you;
http://www.richardaunderwood.com/
He gets SMW stuff from time to time. His original zelts are usually cheaper than SMW repros.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

I've had my worst sleep in a zeltbahn tent. And this was when it barely got below 10 degrees celcius. 4 guys in a tent and I don't think any of us got more than 2-3 hours of sleep. It was horrible. Won't do it ever again if I don't have to :D

Just offtopic, sorry for that.
barryG

Post by barryG »

I need to get some oakleaf SS Zelts, but wont be sleeping in them hardly as we have a large tent. Just want them for a display and to look good.

Are the ones advertised on here (old film props thread in for sale) the same as Zib ones? I see RAU does an economy set at a pretty good deal. Basically any advice on a set of four zelts that wont cost a fortune would be good.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

barryG wrote:Are the ones advertised on here (old film props thread in for sale) the same as Zib ones?
I dont think they are, the zib oak zelts look like the Sturm version.
I sure RAU bargain zelts are the Sturm version too. Most of the cheap oak zelts are.
barryG

Post by barryG »

Cheers for that, so those on here then.... are they a better bet than whats available from dealers?
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Honestly? Not really.
They seem to be stiffer than Sturm, the summer side has a pleasing fuzzy quality to the print.
The buttons are not super secure and mine has a couple of mistakes in its construction.
They are all cheap zeltbahns, what do you expect for your money?
If you want quality then you need to look at Panther or SMWholesale.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Stigroadie wrote:Normally this is the best place to buy the gear;
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SMWHOLESALE-STORE?_rdc=1
But as you can see they are busy and not taking orders.
Next best is;
http://www.1944militaria.com/
All the camo stuff is SMW.
There are others who stock SMW from time to time like;
http://www.atthefrontshop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=45
but take care, they have their own and Chinese stuff listed.
Perhaps Richard might be able to help you;
http://www.richardaunderwood.com/
He gets SMW stuff from time to time. His original zelts are usually cheaper than SMW repros.
Thank you for the links,they were most helpfull. :D
feldman

Post by feldman »

As a European.. i go Panther-Store as much as i can.. no extra outside-EU-tax, and price / quality is unbeatable..
Retired & Armed
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

How do you know what you are getting? Not to sound stupid, but I never see them advertise a brand name on any field gear on any site Outside or original that is.Is it best to contact the vendor fist before going through with a purchase?
Stig if you are reading this...Who makes the uniforms that Richard sells,they look nice.
barryG

Post by barryG »

Panther store has a 4 zelt deal at 313 euros for oakleaf, so with postage its around 340 is, which is around £300. Are they really that much better from them?
feldman

Post by feldman »

You dont know what you get from any dealer, unless you read/hear what others have to say, and you order yourself. Simple.

My personal choice is Panther-Store.. where you order from, is up to you..
Retired & Armed
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

barryG wrote: Are they really that much better from them?
Thats a tough call. I think they are but I'm a bit of a zelt freak.
It depends how much cash you can spare and how much it means to you to know you went that little bit farther.
There might not be much point on spending the extra money if you are going to set them up with a broom handle for the pole and yellow plastic tent pegs.
I like to mix patterns on SS zelt tents so mine are made from SMW mostly. They have the best range of prints.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”