splinter A trousers

Moderator: berlin1945

soldat44

splinter A trousers

Post by soldat44 »

Hi guys
Was thinking of getting a pair of these,where they commonly worn by field troops or rare items.would the full splinter pattern be too much.just looking for some advice.
valkyrie895

Re: splinter A trousers

Post by valkyrie895 »

It all boils down to the unit in question.
Generally speaking, a division with a smaller number in the title would have been issued such items more than a division with a higher number.
Say for instance a fictional 1st infanterie division and a fictional 500th infaterie divisions are being issued equipment, the 1st division would get the nicer stuff.

I personally think they are overused, Feldgrau is cool too! :D :D
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Are you asking about the padded, reversible (Splinter-A to white), winter trousers, or just ordinary field trousers in Splinter-A?????

If it is "ordinary" trousers, nobody in the Heer was "issued" Splinter A trousers - all splinter trousers (and field tunics etc) were locally field- or tailor- made from chopped up zeltbahns. (The only factory produced stuff in Splinter A for the Heer, apart from zelts, was reversible padded winter trousers and jackets, helmet covers and smocks, plus apparently late-war some last-ditch basic camo aprons). Anything else in Splinter-A (field trousers, tunics, panzer wraps/panzer trousers, M41/M43 style caps etc) were field made (and therefore quality varies widely, sometimes they were made by unit tailors, sometimes by professional tailors etc)..

Field made splinter uniform items were not that common, but not completely rare either, there are plenty of photos of men in field-made splinter clobber, but I'd say for your impression (presume it is Heer?) best to stick to field grey wools as stated above, as 90-odd % wore wools...

Likewise, issue Splinter stuff (padded trousers etc) were again not that prevalent (and as stated above, some units would have been prioritised for these), so again, for most units, stick to wools.

Best to research original photos of the unit you are portraying to get a bit of an idea.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

valkyrie895 wrote:Generally speaking, a division with a smaller number in the title would have been issued such items more than a division with a higher number
I'm not sure that is the case. Can you expand on your sources for this info?
116th and 130 panzer divisions got reasonable issues of camo kit, they were high numbers and were formed later in the war.
valkyrie895 wrote:Feldgrau is cool
That is very true.
soldat44

Post by soldat44 »

Thanks guys,
It was a pair of normal splinter not padded i was thinking about,really just to protect my woolen ones.I think i'll stick with the woolen ones as suggested,think they look better.
cheers all for the feed back.
Zoepf

Post by Zoepf »

Never underestimate the "cool" that is feldgrau.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

soldat44 wrote:really just to protect my woolen ones.
You cant go far wrong with a set of reed green denims for that job.
Easy to wash and they look great all baggy if you wear them without the wools in warmer weather.
They can be got quite cheaply too.
soldat44

Post by soldat44 »

Cheers Sean,
Will have a look for a pair of greens.thanks
valkyrie895

Post by valkyrie895 »

Stigroadie wrote:
valkyrie895 wrote:Generally speaking, a division with a smaller number in the title would have been issued such items more than a division with a higher number
116th and 130 panzer divisions got reasonable issues of camo kit, they were high numbers and were formed later in the war.
That is very true.
This is what information was found through research.
You are probably right, for as I have no reason to doubt your sources.
I'm most definitely not a camo expert, as you may have noticed, I'm a feldgrau guy myself (dirty felgrau) 8)
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
Christian_Jaeger

Post by Christian_Jaeger »

soldat44 wrote:Hi guys
Was thinking of getting a pair of these,where they commonly worn by field troops or rare items.would the full splinter pattern be too much.just looking for some advice.
Stigroadie wrote:
That is very true.
Most Panzergrenadiers and Infantrymen did not need camo overtrousers, because fieldgrey is good camoflage. So camoflage trousers are not common. Accept the winter uniform.

The camo clothing which you will find very often in the Infantry are Helmet covers in splinter A and camo overshirts in splinter A and tan and water. A full camo soldier is very very rare. Accept the winter uniform.

Full camo soldiers can be found more often in Tank crews and Amoured Reconissance Car Crew who wear black uniforms had often tailormade camoflage uniforms in 1944-45. To hide the black uniforms, which are very good to see. First they got fieldgrey hbt overclothes in 1941, they were standard.

Soldiers in camo of the 21st Panzer-Division. Amoured Infantry of reconnaissance bataillon 21 or panzergrenadier regiments 125 &192.
This is the most common combination of camo clothing you can find in the Infantry of Panzergrenadier/Amoured reconnaissance units.
Adjutant, I./Ski-Jäger Regiment 1, 1.Ski-Jäger Brigade
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

Stigroadie wrote:
That is very true.
I would like to see proof of 116th div being issued camo kit on a reasonable scale!
CDB taking it way too serious!

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”