K98 safety catch

Moderator: berlin1945

Hoffman Grink

Re: K98 safety catch

Post by Hoffman Grink »

THAT!!!! Barry, if I may say so is one shit state weapon!!!!! You would be on a fizzer mate!!! Get that rust out of the pitting!!!!! get the cosmolene off it (paraffin or white spirit) and get it cleaned and oiled!!!!!!

Your bolt looks fine - Do you know how to take it down?
barryG

Post by barryG »

Youd be amazed, it was worse than that when I got it! Have got the Russian varnish off and have Linseed oiled the stock three times. I have cleaned it up on the metal parts too, but its still shite!

I know roughly how to strip the bolt down, but obviously the missing flag is causing issues. Ill wait till the show season and see if someone can enlighten me :lol:

My weapons knowledge is very very sparse, but Im mechanically minded so dont mind having a go at anything like this.
barryG

Post by barryG »

Not being someone who likes to be beaten I had another go, sure enough the missing flag was causing the issue.... so, with some ingenuity and cursing I have had the bolt stripped down :D

Now, as I thought, something is amiss as can be seen in this pic....
the flag cannot move at all but hey, the rifle dry fires and cocks so Im not going to fret about that as at least it has a flag now. I have cleaned it up a bit more as you can see but that coating is a bastard to get off and the rust is very deep in those pits. Still, its my first weapon strip so Im pleased.

Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

When you put it back together,the flag has to be in the upright position,reverse procedure of when you strip it down,don't worry you will get the hang of it.In the early days of the SBG we made an exersize of it,see how quickly you could strip it and put it back together.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
barryG

Post by barryG »

I realised that it needed to be upright, but it wont fit in any other way than it is. Unless Im missing something how can the flag fit any differently as the bolt will not allow it to rotate at all? I found a pic of a WW1 K98 that has a different flag that would work with mine as its machined differently.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Do you think you may have a G98 bolt in a 98K?
i.e. a WWI Bolt in a WWII rifle?
barryG

Post by barryG »

Thats my thinking PD, theres no way on earth that flag will work with that bolt :wink: Bloomin Russians ruining our weapons, thats the problem.
ringer

Post by ringer »

probably worth cocking it before trying to apply the safety

barryG

Post by barryG »

:lol: I have tried that!
ringer

Post by ringer »

Then no reason why the flag should not rotate unless the sear is worn/mismatched and the rear part of the mech is not sitting back far enough for the flag to rotate into the slot.

I`ll sort it at FW for you
barryG

Post by barryG »

Cheers Kev, I bet its something simple.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”