Belt buckle painting

Moderator: berlin1945

valkyrie895

Belt buckle painting

Post by valkyrie895 »

Hello all,
i have an original belt buckle (heer) with no paint on it. i don't know if i should paint it or not. If so, what color?
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
Hoffman Grink

Re: Belt buckle painting

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Do NOT paint it. It is a historical artefact and you completely devalue it and it loses its context in time. Buy a repro to use in reenactment and leave the original in its original condition. Unless of course you don't give a shit about the man who wore it.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

I agree. I have a "original" golden/yellow buckle (Kriegsmarine I think) and it never see's the light of day. When I have finished with it, it will be donated to a museum.

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

The golden KM buckels where retired in 1940, from then on they had to be gray. but they show up sometimes on pictures.

I know it can be sometimes difficult to find a good and cheap copy in steel! I was looking for one some time now on the militaria fairs in belgium... I found 3: 50-100-125 euro for repro's!!!
while originals where 40-60 euro NUTS!
At the end I contacted a friend who retired the hobby and he had one for 20 euro :mrgreen:

It seems you can easier get a repro aluminium Kopelschoß of museum quality then a deacent steel one here??? strange...
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Yes it's true, nowadays you have to be lucky to get one, or you have to buy it in the USA.
Grabenkater

Post by Grabenkater »

I still wear an original, but I own a couple of the high quality replicas being made in Eastern Europe. These occasionally pop up as originals with dealers here in the US, but typically they only fool the over eager.

I added a web tab to one of my replicas and I have had several offers to purchase it as an original.

Are the replicas that hard to find in Europe?
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Shops are usually out of stock, if they even carry them at all.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”