what is the proper position of wearing the Gasmask cannister

Moderator: berlin1945

CDB Schmidt

Re: what is the proper position of wearing the Gasmask cannister

Post by CDB Schmidt »

Here you've got an exercise, so they put there stuff like regulation:
http://divxklip.de/video/RXBzUiGU8_A/19 ... lerie.html

And I found a photo that the soldiers are lined up on ww2incolor:
Noted numbers on the cans, they are unitnumber and on the bottom they put there initials.
Attachments
ww2incolor.com.jpg
ww2incolor.com.jpg (37.09 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
CDB = Crazy Dutch Boy

* 3/. Pz. Gren. Rgt. 60. Panzer Division 116. "Der Windhund" *
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

CDB when you say unit it number I take it that you men the unit number of the man using it
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

This photo is correct and illustrates what I originally posted.
There was no debate from me as to which shoulder the strap goes over - it is and always should be - the right shoulder. (although for me common sense says left so that the rifle can be seated into the shoulder unobstructed)
My comment was merely for which way round the can should face.
You should all have a respirator and a gas can. Put it on - and if you are right handed - swing it round and remove the mask from the can. It is far easier and quicker if the can comes under the left arm and is opened then the mask is withdrawn by the right hand........

Also the can facing left means the strap is tighter and the can bounces about less.... I have somewhere a German document which details the correct manner to wear equipment. I will find it and quote it when I make time.

Digressing slightly - the brotbeutel is worn on the right hip - the loops indeed should be placed - on on the hip and one to the left of the Y strap to prevent the beutel bunchng in use. The water bottle is regulation - right hand D ring of brotbeutel and mess tin left hand D ring - the loops at the bottom of the beutel flap are for the wearer to pass the supplementary leather straps of bottle and mess tins through in order to stop them banging about....... Entrenching tool should be worn on left hip and bayonet either in front of that on the left thigh (under the arm) or passedthrough the entrenching tool strap so that the bayonet (Sietengewehr) sits in the centre of the E Tool. Ammunition pouches should sit at the front of the belt equidistant from the Buckle and so that the D rings attach to the Y straps making them run down the outside of the centre flap of the breast pocket...... this is why so many combat decorations were lost (in combat decorations were often removed and put into the tunic pocket)

Do people actually KNOW how to wear their equipment properly?
CDB Schmidt

Post by CDB Schmidt »

yes 8) :mrgreen:
CDB = Crazy Dutch Boy

* 3/. Pz. Gren. Rgt. 60. Panzer Division 116. "Der Windhund" *
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

I sometimes doubt that when I see reenactors with their belts slung low under their overly generous paunches!!! :cry:
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Pug42 wrote:
I sometimes doubt that when I see reenactors with their belts slung low under their overly generous paunches!!! :cry:
And the gunslingers with their hardshell holsters....................... :roll:
Heinz O. Kaufmann

Post by Heinz O. Kaufmann »

I actually once used my belt gear opposite, cause I am left handed. Then I realized that this was too farb, and changed it. I tested the gas mask canister on both sides, and it works fine for me. Maybe I am multi handed, don't know for sure :) Thank God I learned to hold the rifle on the right hand when running etc. but shooting still comes from the left shoulder (when shooting in range and want to get scores) when shooting blanks, right shoulder works as fine.

Interesting photos and topic. If you have more pictures, please post them!
jan

Post by jan »

This is the text in the Reibert (from 1938 /39) how to carry the gasmask for unmounted, mounted troops and troops sitting in vehicles. In this text he strap is going over the left shoulder. The different "allert" positions are also descriped.

For mounted troops the gasmaskcanister was worn horizontal in a more foreward position on the right hip with the equipment belt over the gasmaskcan strap to prevent bouncing when trotting. Note also that for mounted troops the bajonet was worn on the right, under the breadbag to prevent it coming in contact with the rifle butt.
A second option for mounted troops (carrying extra gear that made the horizontal position difficult) is that the gasmask is worn higher at the back (a handwide under the right armpit) when walking and pushed under the right armpit to press on it when trotting or galloping.

THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

Thankyou very much Gentlemen for your input :wink:
I do wear mine in accordance with regulations, i often wondered, why i was seeing original photo's of soldiers wearing them on the other side. [and photo's of the SBG]
Thankyou Jan , what you have posted is news to me, also explains why some did where it under the right arm.
it's great to see more information coming to light.
many thanks :wink:
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”