Zelt position

Moderator: berlin1945

SchutzeHagemann

Zelt position

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Does anybody have any pcitures of soldats placing their zelt's on their belts, above the breadbag? Also, would it be correct to roll a blanket in the zeltbahn? Thanks.

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner
Botty

Re: Zelt position

Post by Botty »

Blanket rolled in Zelt was officially a parade practice I believe. Otherwise the zelt was folded and placed under the flap of the tornister.

I am presuming you don't mean blanket covered in zelt above the breadbag here as that would be silly.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Botty wrote:Blanket rolled in Zelt was officially a parade practice I believe. Otherwise the zelt was folded and placed under the flap of the tornister.

I am presuming you don't mean blanket covered in zelt above the breadbag here as that would be silly.
Actually thats what I meant. It would look goofy now that I think of it.
Kampfgruppe Steiner
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

I have seen pics of blankets folded and tucked under the Y straps above the belt (not regulation but any old way in order to carry a blanket). Or you could roll the blanket, tie both ends together (string or leather strap) to form a loop and put it over your shoulder and accross your body, russian style.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

paulmfjr2 wrote:I have seen pics of blankets folded and tucked under the Y straps above the belt (not regulation but any old way in order to carry a blanket). Or you could roll the blanket, tie both ends together (string or leather strap) to form a loop and put it over your shoulder and accross your body, russian style.
I have seen photos of SS troops doing this
ImageImageImageImageImage
Schuller

Post by Schuller »

This may help, look at the pics at the bottom of everything
http://www.mp44.nl/equipment/zelt_wear.htm
Gunther Schuller, Schutze, 136, 1./G.R.914, 352 ID
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

This might seem like a stupid question. But where did you put the greatcoat? I know it was rolled on the tornister and A-frame when not in use. But how? Are there any war time photos of this? Where is a good place to get war time photos? outside of buying a thousand books with mostly the same photos
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image
Christian_Jaeger

Post by Christian_Jaeger »

DER SOLDATEN wrote:This might seem like a stupid question. But where did you put the greatcoat? I know it was rolled on the tornister and A-frame when not in use. But how? Are there any war time photos of this? Where is a good place to get war time photos? outside of buying a thousand books with mostly the same photos
http://www.dererstezug.com/packingatornister.htm
Have a look here, thanks to der erste Zug.
Adjutant, I./Ski-Jäger Regiment 1, 1.Ski-Jäger Brigade
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Thank you,mine allways looks like the number 6 photo. But never like the origianl photos,notice how well there blankets look.Mine still ends up a might sloppy :roll: :D .
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image
m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot »

See pic:

Blankets rolled in zelts.

It was done. Things weren't always regulation.
Attachments
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-004-3626-16A,_Russland,_Soldaten_in_Schützenloch.jpg
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-004-3626-16A,_Russland,_Soldaten_in_Schützenloch.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
STEIGE AUS DEM BETT, DREH' DEN SWAG AUFFFFFF
m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot »

Another way of carrying the zelt
Attachments
Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1974-107-66,_Russland,_Kampf_um_Stalingrad,_Infanterie.jpg
Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1974-107-66,_Russland,_Kampf_um_Stalingrad,_Infanterie.jpg (64.23 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
STEIGE AUS DEM BETT, DREH' DEN SWAG AUFFFFFF
jlmod

Post by jlmod »

You can look at thousands of photographs and they'l always be variations as to how troops carried their kit. It may well be that there is regulation regarding items but at the end of the day it's how comfortable it feels and how you wished to fit and carry it. There's no hard fast rule in combat - you gather it, carry it and if your having to walk long distances with it then make it comfortable - simple.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”