Gas mask and canister question?

Moderator: berlin1945

les hearn

Re: Gas mask and canister question?

Post by les hearn »

also the after cleaning the spring can be fitted to the inside top ring for the wet mask to stand on for drying :wink:
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

Re: Gas mask and canister question?

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

check this one out for reference
http://www.mp44.nl/equipment/gas_mask.htm
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

Freebooter

I almost had to actually use mine!

Post by Freebooter »

Hey y'all,
A few weeks ago I fumigated my apt for fleas. I put a can in every room when one was good for 600 or 6000 square feet (forgot which). According to the directions, at the prescribed time I had to go in there, open windows, doors, turn on bathroom exaust fans, A/C, etc to air it out. I nearly passed out by the time I did all that, it was like smoke in their. It was horrible. I almost got my original german WWII gas mask and put it on. The canister is or was new with the seal still unbroken, seperate from the mask itself, but both in the can hanging on my manaquin in full DAK uniform and gear. The only reason I didn't was because one, I did not want to break that original seal and screw it onto the mask, and also one of y'all told me that it is dangerous that those filters had asbestos that has deteriated with age in them and when you breath through you breath in that asbestos (is that true?).

You know, I remember a few years ago Cheaperthandirt had some Israeli civilian gas masks for sale in their catolog that looked just like the WWII German one, or seemed like it to me.
Later,
FB
One Shot, One Kill!
SchutzeHagemann

Re: I almost had to actually use mine!

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Freebooter wrote:Hey y'all,
A few weeks ago I fumigated my apt for fleas. I put a can in every room when one was good for 600 or 6000 square feet (forgot which). According to the directions, at the prescribed time I had to go in there, open windows, doors, turn on bathroom exaust fans, A/C, etc to air it out. I nearly passed out by the time I did all that, it was like smoke in their. It was horrible. I almost got my original german WWII gas mask and put it on. The canister is or was new with the seal still unbroken, seperate from the mask itself, but both in the can hanging on my manaquin in full DAK uniform and gear. The only reason I didn't was because one, I did not want to break that original seal and screw it onto the mask, and also one of y'all told me that it is dangerous that those filters had asbestos that has deteriated with age in them and when you breath through you breath in that asbestos (is that true?).

You know, I remember a few years ago Cheaperthandirt had some Israeli civilian gas masks for sale in their catolog that looked just like the WWII German one, or seemed like it to me.
Later,
FB
Yes I am pretty sure that there is asbestos in it. Obviously it did not affect the soldiers who wore them in training back inthe day but I am guessing now the inside of the filter's chemicals broke down and the asbestos came out?? Not sure how that would work.

But the Israelis did use foreign equipment so it is a possibility they were German.

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”