STUG

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

paulwray wrote:send em an email and tell them there armours the wrong length :lol:
Ok I know they are doing a better job than me...

But if you put it out there, it's open to comment...

It's just looking at it the proportions appear wrong, which is a shame when you go to that much effort…

I’m sure when you researched your Marder you took more than one source of information and checked it etc…

As you guys have shown when done properly it looks the dogs Bol###s

As said with the OT810’s out there when done properly they get full respect.
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

I wonder what engine/drivetrain they are using - the 432 has it's engine front right I beleive but it looks like there planning to have there engine in the back with just the gearbox in the nose like a real Stug.

Hmmmmm, interesting.... wonder how much a 432 hull is, no engine or top 2ft... (evil plan working over in mind of evil spanner chucking mancunian)
SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

jimmyvonk wrote:I wonder what engine/drivetrain they are using - the 432 has it's engine front right I beleive but it looks like there planning to have there engine in the back with just the gearbox in the nose like a real Stug.

Hmmmmm, interesting.... wonder how much a 432 hull is, no engine or top 2ft... (evil plan working over in mind of evil spanner chucking mancunian)
Witham's.........

http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=223&Overide=1

No power pac £2750.00... mmmm
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

LAH650 wrote:
Witham's.........

Hmmmm, still need an engine though.... and all the steel for the new top... and probably a different gear box?
New control position, all the detail work... still way more than I can afford.... and best I finish the NSU first...

Be a good project for a team of say 4 people, would work out almost afordable and they could crew it afterwards....

Anyone any ideas on how to modify the drive train/ engine/ controls layout to suit the new bodywork? (Just interested)
SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

It's just looking at it the proportions appear wrong, which is a shame when you go to that much effort…

Good point LAH650

Appears to me but they have kept the original bow plate angle of the donor vehicle, which combined with a shorter wheel base, I guess has determined their overall dimensions (too high too steep etc). I'd imagine that stretching a AFV chassis and adding a roadwheel would be a phenominal amount of work for the prupose of creating a vehicle not seen by the public at an event.

The BoB Stug replica also sufers from these same problems then ?.

I think this groups bonafides have been well established, (the restoration of their easy 8 Sherman on the same website looks fairly exacting) and I wouldn't consider this to be a cut and shut job, its not something that most individuals could successfully take on, and complete.

Just my two cents
paulwray

Post by paulwray »

LAH650 wrote:
paulwray wrote:send em an email and tell them there armours the wrong length :lol:
Ok I know they are doing a better job than me...

But if you put it out there, it's open to comment...

I’m sure when you researched your Marder you took more than one source of information and checked it etc…

As you guys have shown when done properly it looks the dogs Bol###s

As said with the OT810’s out there when done properly they get full respect.
totally agree LAH650, Allan visited the museum with the marder iii and got permission to clamber all over it , measuring, sketching etc, theres no point in putting all that effort/money in, not to mention the lost brownie points and not getting it as near as possable, there must be loads of excellent books out on the stug, we used the Nuts and Bolts special book (essentioally used by modellers) on the marder to help out , couldnt of done it without it.

Looks like the books "Achtung Panzer 5 - Sturmgeschütz III" and "Sturmgeschutz and its Variants" would help
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

jimmyvonk wrote:
LAH650 wrote:
Witham's.........

Hmmmm, still need an engine though.... and all the steel for the new top... and probably a different gear box?
New control position, all the detail work... still way more than I can afford.... and best I finish the NSU first...

Be a good project for a team of say 4 people, would work out almost afordable and they could crew it afterwards....

Anyone any ideas on how to modify the drive train/ engine/ controls layout to suit the new bodywork? (Just interested)
Got the Stug Wrap.... so 1/2 way there just need the StugIIIG :wink:

So if we budget £10.000 thats £2500 each....

Right all we need now is.................... :D
Maus Commander

Post by Maus Commander »

LAH650 wrote:OK look at a 'real' StugIII compared with the US version.....

-snip-
Y'know, I just noticed that the photo on the left was taken by a shorter photographer, now, if we place it next to a stug photographed by someone of the same height, we could see that the angles are probably worse than that comparison photo. Big chunky Americans needing more space to sit in the tanks perhaps? As opposed to my "capturing the flavour" proposal...
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

Have a look at these links, copied from another thread...

c/o P.D.

http://www.andreaslarka.net/ps531016/ps531016.html

http://www.andreaslarka.net/

Some nice clean photos of Stugs 8)

But adds a bit more information to the depth of the frontal armour and angle of dangle questions I posed :?

mmmmmmmmm
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Thanks Andy - hadn't realised there were so many Stug IIIs still extant in Finland at the present time, although it was hard looking at the wreck that is No.25 today...

Can't we get together and organise a Stug-jacking expedition, I mean they wouldn't miss a couple would they...? :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
chris wray

Post by chris wray »

have to agree whats the point in spending all that time, effort and money for it to look wrong.

http://www.historicalfilmservices.com/P ... rnhem3.htm

these look similar :D
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

How about this one....

Just needs some TLC....

http://www.andreaslarka.net/ps531015/ps531015.html

Just need to talk to a nice mister Finlander, offer him my children in exchange and the 37p I have saved up and we're on winner.... :wink:
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

Kurt Volkmar wrote:Now just need to sell my soul to the devil and the deals complete :shock:
She's :twisted: already had my soul ...

So we just need some more kids or someone's 21 year old, 5'11", dark hair, bust 36 DD mmmm .......... :shock: sorry drifted off there a bit...

No what was it we need as a 'trade'.....

3 Right legs, 2 left one's, and my hind teeth.... :wink:

Return to “Vehicles”