Panzer found in peat bog

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

352nd

Panzer found in peat bog

Post by 352nd »

I remember hearing something a few years ago about a panzer 4 (i think could have been panzer 5 though) that had been found in a peat bog in the Ukraine. They said because of the nature of the peat, it kept the tank in new condition and all the contence inside were still in tacked. After they dug it up and cleaned it off, it went up for sale. Does anyone now how much it went for and where it went?
Stabsgefreiter Martin Hetch-2nd Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung, Grossdeutschland.

LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

Which one of the 12 Tiger 1's 32 Panzer III's or 19.75 Panzer IV's was this... :wink:

Lots of stories but no results...

Have heard that some do really exist and have been sold but the 'local' government shave refused export licences etc.

Lots of people chasing dreams with lots of people wishing to take their money without fulfilling their dreams…

No ‘urban myths’ 90% of them, the other 10% beyond legal bounds… until enough $ flashed :shock:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

People fishing????? 8) :wink:
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

Fwbl Dollman wrote:People fishing????? 8) :wink:
Need better bait then :wink:
352nd

Post by 352nd »

i think it actually existed, it was in article in MVT magazine i think about four years ago. They'd dug it up and it was for sale but i can't remember for how much.

stumpf

Post by stumpf »

it was a mark 111 that you are on about and it looked mint
352nd

Post by 352nd »

stumpf wrote:it was a mark 111 that you are on about and it looked mint
Yeah that sounds about right. I couldn't quite remember what mark it was. I remember it looked mint though.

murf

Post by murf »

theres a link on the russian tank museum to a group of 'tank hunters'.
its on a thread here somewhere started by a russkie who was driving a Panther and a Mk 3 at the museum.
it may be bollix, but somewhere out there, when my lotto numbers come up, theres a wee field, a forgotton Mark IV awaits...

mind you, 12 more weeks of that BB shite, and a working K98 would suffice :roll:
i mean like, WHAT tf is that about?
Shergar

heres a link

Post by Shergar »

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

That StuG is presently being restored by the SdKfZ Foundation - Mike Gibb.
It was recovered from the Black Sea and our Hon Pres. had dealings in its recovery.
As for the fabled Eastern Bloc Panzers..... Cast further away from the bank. In the deep water away from the weeds. Some of us know what and where and who.... But we are not saying ANYTHING....... until we are told we can.

You better have a LOT of money ready though if you're serious A LOT OF MONEY.... and you'd better be quick.

We had a halftrack for sale at a jolly good price (not to be discussed). Lots of people sniffed...... an AFRA boy eventually got fed up of waiting and after a long convo sorted out the logisitics (any plonker can buy a big vehicle - where does it live, how do you work on it, how do you transport it?) and , having sorted out all of the above - He snapped it up. AFRA being well placed to do these things, will be assisting with the restoration/conversion of this one and hope to be the ubiquitious two car family real soon.... Can you imagine two D Types side by side, sequential numbers, matching camo... uniform troops..... I can almost see Walter Model inspecting us (Shame Scott's too tall and too young) :roll:
The big boys in Kent needed a part for theirs. One phone call turned up two parts. The Kent lads immediately said - yes.... we'll have one please. and it's sorted. If you're a player you're a player..... If not you're a dreamer - But never discount the dreamers because one day they might be a player...... remember that.....

Don't worry about them tanks...... remember what happened with the SPA... :wink:
krause

Post by krause »

yes was a pz4 it was talked about in one of the modeling magazine`s about same time they where pulling that sig 33bison out of a river.......
LOYALTY&HONOUR
SS gren krause SBG
Sasha

Post by Sasha »

Many former Soviet states still have the 'old times' :wink: law that says anything military you recover belongs to the Ministry of Defence. OK, they only worry about AFVs but, theoretically, it covers everything.

Anyway, here's a link I found off a Russian reenactors forum that, I think, illustrates the kind of effort you have to go to.

http://www.trizna.ru/pobel.html

Oh, yeah, that was in Belarus so I imagine as well as negotiating the law you have 'special fees' to pay to some very unsympathetic men.
352nd

Post by 352nd »

[quote="Sasha"]Many former Soviet states still have the 'old times' :wink: law that says anything military you recover belongs to the Ministry of Defence. OK, they only worry about AFVs but, theoretically, it covers everything.

Yeah i heard about that being a law in Poland. I assume it's the same in most other FCC baltic states. Recovering something from a peat bog is something i don't have the money to do, and something i can't really be bothered to do to be honest. I was just wondering what actually happened to the tank they recovered a few years ago.

grenadier heeder

Post by grenadier heeder »

Yeah 352nd I remember that Pz III. It was found in Belorus. It had been abandoned by the crew for reasons unknown as there was no battle damage. Everything was still on board. Personal weapons,acoutrements, ammo everything. Apparently they put a new set of batteries in, cleaned up the injectors and filters and overhauled the magneto and it bloody well started!
I know the guy was selling it for over $200,000 but I don't know what happened after that.

Return to “Vehicles”