Pic with a DAK "Transitional" helmet!

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

Freebooter

Pic with a DAK "Transitional" helmet!

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I came across a website about the Afrikakorps, with pics and all and found a pic of a DAK soldier's grave killed in 1942 with a German helmet on it. I swear, it looks like one of those WWI "Transitional" helmets, a 1918 model to be exact. I figured they would have been phased out long before then and that the DAK got brand new equipment and all when they went to Afrika? Go to http://homepages.maxnet.co.nz/bphprint/frames13.html and scroll down to # 25. What do you think? Just curious if this is a Transitional Helmet in DAK service.
Thanks,
Freebooter
Alabama
One Shot, One Kill!
West-Front

Re: Pic with a DAK "Transitional" helmet!

Post by West-Front »

This one ?
Attachments
grave2.jpg
grave2.jpg (208.19 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

That's it! It looks like a WWI helmet to me, see the knobs, etc.? What do you think? I did not think they were used in DAK.
Later,
FB
One Shot, One Kill!
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Now that is nice. Perhaps some support company?
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

I was watching some stuff, I think on Youtube, about DAK and I thought I saw a small group go by with these helmets on. Now I can't remember which tube thing it was on.
FB
One Shot, One Kill!
mario33

Post by mario33 »

I've seen some pics of an artillery unit in 1942 ? that have got a caption 'parade before departing to Africa' and some soldiers were obviously wearing transitional helmets on...
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Tunisia 1943
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Is that a pic of surrendered helmets? Interesting, several color schemes. I wonder where they are at now. My uncle told me that at the end of WWII his destroyer's decks were loaded down with thousands of Japanese rifles, helmets and othe requipments and they took them out a few miles and threw them all over board. Another uncle told me that in France he remembered seeing mountains of German helmets, rifles and gear as big as houses sprayed with gasaline and set on fire. That was war though. But now looking at them as neat collectors' items I think what a waist!
Later,
FB
One Shot, One Kill!

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”