Helmet markings

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

RudyWerner

Helmet markings

Post by RudyWerner »

I decided to paint my helmet.

What do you think?

I don't know if the troops would have had mascots like this but I think its nice personalisationm plus it stops it getting nicked!

I may have a go at the SS runes shield on the side, if I can find info on proper location and sizes...
A.Weiss

Re: Helmet markings

Post by A.Weiss »

Last edited by A.Weiss on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

A.Weiss wrote:Hi Werner,

Excellent work! :)

A.Weiss
Thanks,
The Totenkopf is only about and inch across and I had to take a great deal of care not to ruin it.
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

And the date that you was born on , in your soldbuch would that not be a better option to put in the helmet ?

mike
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

Hennig wrote:And the date that you was born on , in your soldbuch would that not be a better option to put in the helmet ?

mike
I haven't decided on that yet, the "1981" is my service number from my dogtag.
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

RudyWerner wrote:
Hennig wrote:And the date that you was born on , in your soldbuch would that not be a better option to put in the helmet ?

mike
Then i do appologise i thought it was your real date of birth :oops: :lol:

mike
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

Hennig wrote:
RudyWerner wrote:

mike
Then i do appologise i thought it was your real date of birth :oops: :lol:

mike
It is my year of birth, but also my service number (or whatever its called)
Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

I rather like it but it does look like a crystal skull from Indiana Jones! :shock:
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

Der Spiess wrote:I rather like it but it does look like a crystal skull from Indiana Jones! :shock:
Oh...well I tried to copy it from a book on Tigers...but I am no great artisit.
Chris Pittman

Post by Chris Pittman »

A German soldier in wartime would not have painted the name of his unit or his Erkennungsmarke number inside his helmet. In any event, just painting the name of his division inside his helmet would not have helped his helmet get returned to him if it was lost. In rare cases, the Feldpostnummer of his unit was painted inside to identify his specific Kompanie within his Regiment, this way his helmet could be returned if it went missing. In the vast majority of cases, if anything at all was painted in a helmet, it was just a name or even just initials.

Chris
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

Chris Pittman wrote:A German soldier in wartime would not have painted the name of his unit or his Erkennungsmarke number inside his helmet. In any event, just painting the name of his division inside his helmet would not have helped his helmet get returned to him if it was lost. In rare cases, the Feldpostnummer of his unit was painted inside to identify his specific Kompanie within his Regiment, this way his helmet could be returned if it went missing. In the vast majority of cases, if anything at all was painted in a helmet, it was just a name or even just initials.

Chris
Quite so, however, back then a german soldier would not go to public shows, riddled with theives etc and so have to mark up his helmet to be indentifiable and make it less likely to be stolen. But it is nice to know what they may have had painted on, thanks.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

I agree, even though it's a beautiful piece of work it is too elaborate. Just slap your name (and possibly rank) on it with some leftover paint and a crude brush. That's the way most were done. Pre-war examples certainly have more detail than late-war ones though.
Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

I've seen some real nice original examples of fine script and gothic font on helmets. everything from kids chickens scratching looking printing to something you would expect a signwriter to do.

I'll post a pic of my lids name when I get home. I rather like it.
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

Personally I think it is an over kill with all that in the helmet. I see original gear with mainly service number and sometimes a name, but remember if a soldier was wounded his gear is taken when he is sent to the hospital and would be re-issued new gear when he got out. If you really need to put something in the helmet just go with your soldbuck number

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”