Original Heer decal !

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

Aprillia

Original Heer decal !

Post by Aprillia »

Guys i realy nead you help, not opinion !!!

I have original M 42 helmet in superb state which once hade Heer decal but some "idiot" schrach it down and now i bought original Heer decal from US colector and i intend to aplie on my helmet but i nead some guidenes how do doit, becourse i dont wont to ruin original decal !
The helmt will stay in my personal colection and i have no intentions to sale it, i yust wont to restore it to preveus state !!!

Oskar
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Re: Original Heer decal !

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Please keep them both on the shelf as they are now. If you still see parts of the original decal, that's good enough. If you want to show what it used to look like, keep the unused decal between two sheets of glass on the shelf. Don't use the original decal! You'll probably mess it up anyway. Things like these should be left alone :)
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

I totally agree with Shiek display them together. If you really have to replace the decal get one of the dry transfer or museum quality water slide decals and apply that to the helmet as it can be removed and won't damage the helmet
Aprillia

Post by Aprillia »

Guys, i now all that but i will put the decal on the helmet anyway, so my question was, how shud i do it ?

I hope that someone will truy to explain the best way to do that !!!

Thanks for your help !

Oskar
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Well the first thing you need to do is find out if it's a laquer transfer or water transfer decal. Come back after you've figured that out.

and I would strongly advise against using an original as the adhesive coating has probably gone bad over the years. Chances are you'll end up with nothing.

Where are you from?
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

If it is a laquer type decal you will have a problem, the laquer used then is different from the laquer we use today. Today's laquer is acrylic based, then it was cellulose based and the laquer used today is not compatable with the decal.
It will dissolve the decal and totally ruin it.

When you look at the decal, is the image on top of the paper carrier or on the reverse side of the carrier?
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

pzrwest wrote:If it is a laquer type decal you will have a problem, the laquer used then is different from the laquer we use today. Today's laquer is acrylic based, then it was cellulose based and the laquer used today is not compatable with the decal.
It will dissolve the decal and totally ruin it.
You can still get hold of cellulose laquers. They are getting harder to get hold of due to new EU rules as everyone shifts to water based products. However you might still find one of your local car body spray shop suppliers selling them.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Aprillia

Post by Aprillia »

Hay guys, thank you for all your help !

The decal is on the top of the paper, so i asume that meas it is a laquer tipe !

The decal looks realy O.K and i belive it will stay on the helmet shell ! I am steal waithing to get a cellulose tipe of laquer and than i will put it on the helmet !

Any way i will let you know how it come out !

Oskar
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

If the image is on top of the paper it is a water slide type, or so i've been told. Laquer type the image is on the backside of the paper and you can't see the image.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Correct...
Aprillia

Post by Aprillia »

Here are the fotos of Heer decal made by Ed Strache, i belive it is a laquer tipe but i coud be wrong !!!
Attachments
476%20decal%20single.jpg
476%20decal%20single.jpg (83.08 KiB) Viewed 7213 times
Aprillia

Post by Aprillia »

Another side of Heer decal !
Attachments
476%20decal%20single%201.jpg
476%20decal%20single%201.jpg (121.92 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

Aprillia wrote:Another side of Heer decal !
Yes that is what I've been told as a laquer type decal. Personally I would not apply this decal these are getting rare and a shame to destroy. I would get one of the dry transfer decals and apply that as it looks almost like an original decal when applied. Here's where you can get the dry transfer decals. http://www.military-steel-helmets-and-d ... decals.htm
Aprillia

Post by Aprillia »

O.K i am a little stubernd and i wont original decal on original german helmet, so please yust instruct me how to do that in the proper way, i know it is possible since there is many original helmets with original decals post war aplied !

Oskar
Gotrick

Post by Gotrick »

If i was you i wouldn't do it. Decals age and if you apply it now you can see that.
And, for real collectors the value drops.
I rather have a scratched-off decal then a postwar attached (original) decal.

But thats just my opinion.
Good luck, i hope it turns out good :wink:

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”