RAL code for Early War M35

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

Schutze Mahr

RAL code for Early War M35

Post by Schutze Mahr »

What is the RAL colour for the early war M35 helmet? It is definitely a green colour, not Feldgrau.
Bergführer

Post by Bergführer »

It's not as easy as it could be. The early M35 and I ww transitional helmets had two very specific colours. The first was some kind of very dark grey but it isn't my favourite painting scheme so I never thought about it longer. The second is some sort of light, apple-green grey ; ) It was called Apfelgrun and there is no RAL number for it. I spent a month to make something close to the original colour but it is not perfect, well maybe in the future I will get the 100% right one, but now it's still much better than painting early helmets for 1939/40 impression with Ral 6006.

Here is and example of my paint, on my M18 helmet (the shell is original and in almost perfect condition, but there was no original paint on it)

I know the eagle is horrible, I bought it in some sort of evelope and I found out what is going on several hours later, it was to late to buy better one, because it was a day before an event, but now I've replaced it with much better one.
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

There was an RAL code for that colour, but it's been deleted from the series (same as 7028) - I can't remember it off the top of my head. I've got some original items in that apple green colour, I'll get a colour match done and get a code - see how it compares.

The grey is 7021.

Dave
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Isn't RAL 6001 a good one?????? Thought I'd seen it mentioned on previous threads.

While we're at it can someone tell me the RAL code or one close to Luftwaffe blue. I know it's been mentioned on here before but it would save me trawling through all the theards. I have a couple of helmets need spraying.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

dog green 1 wrote:Isn't RAL 6001 a good one?????? Thought I'd seen it mentioned on previous threads.

While we're at it can someone tell me the RAL code or one close to Luftwaffe blue. I know it's been mentioned on here before but it would save me trawling through all the theards. I have a couple of helmets need spraying.
Lufty was, I think 7016
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Feldjager wrote:
dog green 1 wrote:Isn't RAL 6001 a good one?????? Thought I'd seen it mentioned on previous threads.

Lufty was, I think 7016
Cheers dave. Will have a look in my local car body shop next time I'm in there buying supplies.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Bergführer

Post by Bergführer »

No, Ral 6001 isn't the right Apfelgrun. Sometimes 7009 is mentioned to be the one, but I've tested it and it's not the right one too. The best way to get the right colour is to take some original item with this paint (it must be in good condition not some little dots of paint on the rust ) to the shop where you can mix a paint and try - I've tried twice.
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

RAL 6006 was used in the early M35 painting process.
Bergführer

Post by Bergführer »

Well, I spent hours on talking about early helmets with several early-war reenactors and collectors and no one of them said that Ral 6006 is good for pre and early war helmets...because it is not good at all. Ral 6006 is great but from 1940, not for pre war helmets, and not for 1939 impression.

But if you think that ral 6006 is good for an early helmet - show me any evidence, because it's quite revolutionary theory...
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

With the introduction of the M35 helmet the company Duco AG of Berlin-Spinderfeld was chosen as the primary supplier of paint. The color was a light field-grey (feldgrau) for army and navy and blue-grey (Blaugrau) for Luftwaffe. The colour varied in each production run (as it did back then with the current manufacturing techniques of paint), and when other companies were conrracted, the colour varied even more.

This is what my primary source says about the early M35 helmet colour. It is possible that light field grey is not really 6006 but a different shade of this colour. I must admit that I havent looked much into this, as I have no helmets that i want to give this finish as of yet.
Bergführer

Post by Bergführer »

Yes, you are right now - there was a new paint, and you are right that the colour varied in each production too.

But the early paint wasn't that well-known dark fieldgray - Ral6006

Here is a great example of the right, early paint:

It was used both on re-issued WWI helmets and early-production M35 helmets, the 'well known' Ral6006 was first used in France in 1940 as far as I know.

Early war reenactment is more popular in my country because we reenact the battles from the Semtember Campaign - when Germany invaded Poland in 1939 year ; )
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

Ok, now I have aqured an Austrian M16 helmet that i want to paint as a police unit helmet, and therefore need som applegreen paint.
Any progress on the search for the correct colour?
Schutze Mahr

Re:

Post by Schutze Mahr »

Feldjager wrote:There was an RAL code for that colour, but it's been deleted from the series (same as 7028) - I can't remember it off the top of my head. I've got some original items in that apple green colour, I'll get a colour match done and get a code - see how it compares.

The grey is 7021.

Dave
Anymore news on that? Did they find a RAL code for Apfelgrun?
fsb40_85

Re: Re:

Post by fsb40_85 »

[/quote]Anymore news on that? Did they find a RAL code for Apfelgrun?[/quote]

RAL 840R aschgruen that is,not in modern RAL standards anymore
Pug42

Re: RAL code for Early War M35

Post by Pug42 »

??? RAL 6003 is Olivgrun (used on vehicle camo schemes) not Apfelgrun...
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”