Barry Lyndon's Helmets

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

AndreasC

Barry Lyndon's Helmets

Post by AndreasC »

What do people make of Barry Lyndon's M35 Helmets? I am interested as they seem very reasonably priced.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=005
KB Martinsen

Post by KB Martinsen »

I haven't seen it 'in the flesh' (or steel) so to speak, but I think it looks pretty good, I'm no expert though.

As to the price, 40 quid plus postage, and possibly customs. How much would a comparable repro cost from a UK dealer?

KB
Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

Be very carefull, Roy "leibstandarte" has one from HK and its awful in every way.....
PM him and he'll tell all.
cheers
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
KB Martinsen

Post by KB Martinsen »

Der Spiess wrote:Be very carefull, Roy "leibstandarte" has one from HK and its awful in every way.....
PM him and he'll tell all.
cheers
I've seen a few different helmets for sale in the Far East, some look terrible (even from the photos on Ebay), and some seem okay.

Are they all as bad as each other, or are some seller's helmets better than others?

KB
AndreasC

Post by AndreasC »

KB Martinsen wrote:Are they all as bad as each other, or are some seller's helmets better than others?
Indeed this is what I am trying to find out. I want a decent repro helmet that is not going to break the bank.
Ted

Post by Ted »

i had a nice Heer roll edge shell from Keith in Hong Kong, must say cant fault it 8)
AndreasC

Post by AndreasC »

Does Keith have an online shop on E Bay or a website? If so can someone post the link for me please.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

simon

Post by simon »

Got my M35 from Keith can't fault it :)
Der Dachs mit Dudelsack
---------------
FJ 39-45
Fallschirmjaeger Ang'
Baumer12

Post by Baumer12 »

I ordered two from Keith and both were nicely made, accurate in design and a chin strap included. Even had a nice makers edelweiss design inside the rim, not important but a nice finishing touch.
The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well founded. There operas last for three or four days and they have no word for fluffy.

http://www.stahlkrieger.co.uk
AndreasC

Post by AndreasC »

Thanks for the replies. Had a look at Keith's online shop and will order from there - $80 is not bad at all.
Jugendkrieger

Post by Jugendkrieger »

anyone seen those m42's ? they look really good..
AndreasC

Post by AndreasC »

Jugendkrieger wrote:anyone seen those m42's ? they look really good..
Which seller are you referring too? I think Keith and Barry only do M35's. Unless I have missed them on their sites.
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

AndreasC wrote:
Which seller are you referring too? I think Keith and Barry only do M35's. Unless I have missed them on their sites.
As far as I can see (and I may well be wrong), the steel hats look as if they all come from the same factory and they are sold from China, America, Germany and wherever else the wholesaler wants to sell them from, I really would be surprised if there were several metalworks in the orient churning out helmets in what is still quite a small number for worldwide sales.
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

John Wilson wrote:
AndreasC wrote:
As far as I can see (and I may well be wrong), the steel hats look as if they all come from the same factory and they are sold from China, America, Germany and wherever else the wholesaler wants to sell them from, I really would be surprised if there were several metalworks in the orient churning out helmets in what is still quite a small number for worldwide sales.
If its the M42's that I've seen on Ebay i think they are made in Pakistan and sold by an English firm on Ebay who sell a lot of armour and things. The only problem is they only seem to do them in one size. If its not these, can someone supply a link so we can have a look at them. As far as I know both Kieth and Barry only supply M35'3 or Para helmets.

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”