RAL 7009

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

redsun

RAL 7009

Post by redsun »

Having been introduced to the nightmare of German helmet colours, I find myself looking for the dreaded "Apple Green". Then I stumbled across this. http://customfilledaerosols.co.uk/index ... uct_id=230

Opinions?
pepperpot

Re: RAL 7009

Post by pepperpot »

And to add an extra problem, RAL numbers were changed after the end of the war. Also irrespective of what the ral number should be there were always variants to the actual shade. Our unit uses early war Stahlhelm colour which has been made specially with the main ral number plus 'other shades'. Trying to match equipment colours that are 70+ years old just doesn't work. So there will always be someone who will say the shade is wrong
graham
redsun

Post by redsun »

pepperpot wrote:And to add an extra problem, RAL numbers were changed after the end of the war. Also irrespective of what the ral number should be there were always variants to the actual shade. Our unit uses early war Stahlhelm colour which has been made specially with the main ral number plus 'other shades'. Trying to match equipment colours that are 70+ years old just doesn't work. So there will always be someone who will say the shade is wrong
graham
Plus there were shades produced locally of that colour, with shades of those shades being sold now. And I thought actually restoring helmets was the hard part. Turns out its looking at friggin colour swatches! Its like curtain shopping all over again :lol:
Halle

Post by Halle »

www.DDay-1944.com does some pretty good colours. .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
redsun

Post by redsun »

Halle wrote:http://www.DDay-1944.com does some pretty good colours. .
working up enough funds for a spray gun, til then am sticking with paints from zib. Although 44's decals are amazing
Halle

Post by Halle »

Modellers air brushes are relatively cheap and do the job 8)
redsun

Post by redsun »

Halle wrote:Modellers air brushes are relatively cheap and do the job 8)
Hmm, I'll keep that in mind.
redsun

Post by redsun »

incidentally, would I be right in thinking that the Germans did not add a primer to their helmets?
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Refurbishing my stahlhelm, I took it to the local paint suppliers, they said they could match any colour from the existing colour and how many spray cans did I want. hoping to collect the stahlhelm this week
graham
redsun

Post by redsun »

pepperpot wrote:Refurbishing my stahlhelm, I took it to the local paint suppliers, they said they could match any colour from the existing colour and how many spray cans did I want. hoping to collect the stahlhelm this week
graham
What kind? The opinions I have seen on this forum seem to be split between enamel and acrylic
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Halle wrote:http://www.DDay-1944.com does some pretty good colours. .
I recommend not to buy any paint from DDay Last summer I've purchased pot of Feldgrau reissued exact color it cost me a fortune !
Completely different color similar to apple green and shiny, sparkling . In finale I've created perfect party helmet full of glitters :!: :lol: Got in touch with Stephane sent him a loads of pictures from different angles etc.etc. After couple of days he replied to me with the assurance I will get from him a new better paint and also decal to redo. my poor baby . IT NEVER HAPPEN :? Just empty words stretching time , before the Christmas I've bought from him another decal giving him chance to stick in what he promised but nothing !
That guy grew up with no back bone :( AVOID :!: :!: :!:
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
Halle

Post by Halle »

Grenadier Biermann ,

Sorry to hear that !! :shock: Well , I bought some 6006 from him at the end of last year , I haven't opened it as the project never happened :roll: But I've never had a problem with his stuff before .
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Halle wrote:Grenadier Biermann ,

Sorry to hear that !! :shock: Well , I bought some 6006 from him at the end of last year , I haven't opened it as the project never happened :roll: But I've never had a problem with his stuff before .

Decals are fine :wink: I must say I got all my decals from him . But his paint and his attitude towards customers is a crap :!:
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
redsun

Post by redsun »

grenadier Biermann wrote:
Halle wrote:Grenadier Biermann ,

Decals are fine :wink: I must say I got all my decals from him . But his paint and his attitude towards customers is a crap :!:
I found that as well, had a shipment of decals arrive extremely late. Poor customer service. Until I casually mentioned I would be restoring a number of helmets in the future. That sobered him right up.
jlmod

Post by jlmod »

Camouflage colours were so wide and variable, especially on helmets. If you take a look and do your research you will find that soldiers used all kinds of shades of paint, any they could get their hands on (obviously in the colours used). They also hand bushed the paint on them in many cases. The paint faded over time etc etc.
If you want your helmet to look brand spanking new with factory paint they used to spray the vehicles then yes go for that but I'm assuming you want a worn helmet look so don't be too worried about the EXACT paint colours - it wasn't that uniform.
Hope that helps.

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”