Bicycle-tube helmet bands

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

feldman

Re: Bicycle-tube helmet bands

Post by feldman »

The last helmet with decals i had.. they where glued on / laquer, as originals - i had to scratch with a knife to make marks on it.
Retired & Armed
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

If you use the right vernish,a dull laquer that will seal your decal perfekt,
your decal will become one with the shell...

The best repro is an original...
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

yup and if you dont then they will pull off
not everyone uses laquer

i didnt and found out the hard way
but i was only three days into my reenacting career :wink:
the laquer went on five days after
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
askhati

Post by askhati »

Truck inner tube + some scissors + little bit of stretching (band is not too tight):

New helmet, so it is still very clean - but a game or two in the plains should fix that.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Humbrol make a good matt varnish also contact GASMASK and he can tell how to bake the transfers so they dont come off
graham
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

les hearn wrote:please be aware that tubes can pull off the decals after a while..when u take the tube off the helmet

i destroyed one of my decals this way :x
So true!!!! You need more varnish! Bicycle tubes don't fit.
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

I used a bicycle inner tube once, I cut it into one piece and sewed to together with dental floss in the rear.Never had a problem with it.
We use red ones with our early war impression.I have no idea where our group leader got them.
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Also the M35 I'm using now.When I stripped the helmet down to the original paint It had signs of wear from some type of band around the usual spot.
I have also seen this on original helmets and decals as well.
So in closing even with the lacquer decals it will still eventually rub the decal down a bit paint too.
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image
askhati

Post by askhati »

I'm going for a late-war Heer impression, so adding decals to my helmet has not been a priority to date. Also, regarding weathering, I have found that the best 'looks like it was worn in action' look is obtained from doing exactly yhat - wearing it in action and treating it the way a soldier would have treated it, not a collector :P Two game days later, and the helmet is already scarred and scratched, and losing that 'mint' look. Running headfirst through bushes, scraping your head against the wall when peering - or ducking back - around corners, getting shot at short range (makes a nice BIIIIIING sound), taking it off and sitting on it during lulls in the action... Every scratch and dent has a story behind it now.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
feldman

Post by feldman »

askhati wrote:I'm going for a late-war Heer impression, so adding decals to my helmet has not been a priority to date. Also, regarding weathering, I have found that the best 'looks like it was worn in action' look is obtained from doing exactly yhat - wearing it in action and treating it the way a soldier would have treated it, not a collector :P Two game days later, and the helmet is already scarred and scratched, and losing that 'mint' look. Running headfirst through bushes, scraping your head against the wall when peering - or ducking back - around corners, getting shot at short range (makes a nice BIIIIIING sound), taking it off and sitting on it during lulls in the action... Every scratch and dent has a story behind it now.
+1

And.. btw.. my helmet band. Bicycle tube, glued together with super glue.

Retired & Armed
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

In my experience a truck inner tube works best. Tried fiddling with bike and car tyres but that didn't really work.
feldman

Post by feldman »

It is VERY simple to do a helmet band out of a bicycle tube. The glued together part will never break, if you use good quality super glue.
Retired & Armed

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”