helmet wanted

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

charles wuester

helmet wanted

Post by charles wuester »

can anyone tell me where to get a reasonable repro helmet to use for a gebergsjager empression that doesnt cost an arm and leg,(or my first born!!!!) it is just to start out would get accurate one later
thank you
Mooyman

Re: helmet wanted

Post by Mooyman »

try ebay,lot's of them there.

The best repro is an original...
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Try one of the chinese, some of them have reasonably good looking helmets that are the correct shape. Some of them are really weird shape with bad liners, so make sure you look at the photos properly before you order :) I think Spearhead had some helmets that are alright, even though they are a bit thin.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Spearhead helmets are decent but anything you buy will need a repaint.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Be careful with repaint as usually the liners are not detachable in chinese replicas. cover the liner well.

Problem with chinese shells is not only with shape but also with lots of wrong details that stand out visibly. TBH I havent seen A SINGLE chinese copy that would be something like 85% OK.

My rule in this hobby is that I cant afford buying cheap. That meaning I'm not buying wrong things just for the price. I would rather wear M43 cap for the next year and save for proper helmet. Otherwise i would end up spending the monies twice. But thats my view ;)
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

charles wuester

Post by charles wuester »

thats one of my problems,i cant find a group to join here in florida that does gebirgsjager and i have already bought some wrong stuff,but with a helmet cover i figure i could get away with it for a limited time. Correct me if i am wrong but isnt it better to get the history right and then work on the uniform? comments welcome.
telemark

Post by telemark »

mario33 wrote:Be careful with repaint as usually the liners are not detachable in chinese replicas. cover the liner well.

Problem with chinese shells is not only with shape but also with lots of wrong details that stand out visibly. TBH I havent seen A SINGLE chinese copy that would be something like 85% OK.

My rule in this hobby is that I cant afford buying cheap. That meaning I'm not buying wrong things just for the price. I would rather wear M43 cap for the next year and save for proper helmet. Otherwise i would end up spending the monies twice. But thats my view ;)
MArio,can you please elaborate on how some liners are non removeable as i have had many a repro helmet from various sources and never had a problem taking the liners out.

Putting them back in is however a different matter with some having the pins made of a really thick non bendable steel and some have no washers either.

Thanks
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

I've had no trouble removing and reinserting chinese liners. Sturm shells are pretty bad though, and the liners are complete trash. Spearhead helmets are a good base to work on, especially for M35's in large sizes, seeing how finding an affordable M35 in 68 or 71 is next to impossible. If possible, always go with an original shell. An original M42 shell in a medium size will cost about the same as a spearhead repro.

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”