My Helmets

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

Sheikh Al Stranghi

Re: My Helmets

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

There's a number of helmets on that table that I like the way they are.... make sure you only repaint them if it's really nessacery!
Sven Meyer

Post by Sven Meyer »

I'll think that's another discussion point.
If there is still alot off original paint with decal you won't destroy it..(depending on state)...
But if the paint isn't original you can change it anythime you like.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

That's not the point, I bet they've all been repainted. What I am trying to say is that some of the paintjobs already look good, from here.
Kradschuetze

Post by Kradschuetze »

Hello,
Excuse that I only now have your say.
Thanks, that like the colors.
First, I must be the helmets say was bought on Ebay the majority and I was still inexperienced. Until one of these helmets are the other Ebay, soil or water finds.
The two M42 in the foreground (1), we found several years ago in a scrap container.
They showed some lobster shells and slugs. Furthermore, was the one so rusted that had eaten away the edge, then I built this after a welder (Azethon and oxygen) by hand. The color I mixed as directed by my grandfather and I made Rauhtarnung with bird sand. There was developed at this time in Germany, not the market for WW2 re-enactors, I obstructed internal parts of motorcycle helmets ... that was over 10 years ago.
Helmet 2 is from Ebay and was recovered by a diver, which he then preserved with BW Olive, by size to about 64, to serve with me now try to have (of disguises just another interesting variant in the educational film for the sniper WH discovered), he would be a very good base.
Helm 3 of only one for me in the original receipts, which is not even painted over, but unfortunately lacks the inside.
Helm 4 also bought on Ebay, the owner has attempted to restore them once before, but this was only moderate, so that the forehead was unfortunately destroyed totally. The paint should be BW and the emblem is a copy. Size and 64th
What should I think about helmet 5, I do not know, a lacquered in black "gloss" Ground Fund. On both sides of oversized painted runes. The bell is toal lack of scarred and abraded with sandpaper.
The two gladiators helmets are made outside with matt black and inside the original paint . A gladiator with Sigge, the other is not, an inner part still very well preserved. I wanted to make it even once, I did not get only the nightblue.

To build the previously mentioned sniper camouflage, I'm back on the search for a suitable bell.
And then I'm looking for a way to change the color of a helmet, which was painted over, carefully abzukriegen.
The helmet shows under the paint on the left temple, the imposition of a Decal .... what should persistence. It is a very well-preserved M35.

Regards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFBLAFQu_fc
Attachments
helme.jpg
helme.jpg (137.42 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
Kradschuetze

Post by Kradschuetze »

Hallo Kameraden,

I once again tinkered , see what you can do with a little work from a repro bell.
First, the ventilation holes were tuned, that was indeed not at all:

The comparison:

Then a little color, Zemerit similar paste, oven and re-paint and oven .... best you look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN-P1q-jLSM

and out came this:

Best Regards

Ingo
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

What did you use to correct the ventilation holes?
Kradschuetze

Post by Kradschuetze »

I use a rivet shaper and a conical mandrel.
Only I would drive to the outside of the hole Zib helmets maybe slightly.
Then I filed down the little hole up a bit, with a file.
The rivet shaper in a vise and put the helmet with the inside, the hole that sits in the middle. The conical mandrel in the hole and start with a nice gently rustle up two strokes with the hammer. This forms the bead between the proposals and look always to the hole diameter.

Best regards

sorry for my bad english
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Very good job! You cannot easily tell it's a repro anymore. Nice.
Kradschuetze

Post by Kradschuetze »

Thanks for your opinion
But the next time I'll get me the ingredients for real Zemerit.

Best regards
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Thanks for the explanation - yes good job! 8)
Kradschuetze

Post by Kradschuetze »

Thanks,

No problem 8)

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”