aging tips please

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

jeep111

aging tips please

Post by jeep111 »

ive just painted my helmet in normandy camo (dunkelgelb and olivegrun) and its abit bright , ive added battle wear (chips , nicks and worn down paint) and i need the paint darkening, any tips? thanks james
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Re: aging tips please

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

WD40, gun oil, grease, cover it well and bury the thing for a few weeks. Will do wonders.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Use gun blueing liquid on the bare metal parts and they darken up nicely.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Cover it in mud from the garden, a nice sloppy mix works well. let it dry for a couple of days then brush it off by hand.
Another way is to rub patches of brown and black shoe polish into id. Not a thick coat, keep it random but do all the helmet.
The best way is to wear it. It's a newly painted helmet for use at the front not a 60 year old relic. Far to many relics worn as combat helmets.
fallschirmjaeger
Location: UK, Bedfordshire, WW2 Helmet Replication and Restoration County!

Post by fallschirmjaeger »

Stigroadie wrote:Cover it in mud from the garden, a nice sloppy mix works well. let it dry for a couple of days then brush it off by hand.
Another way is to rub patches of brown and black shoe polish into id. Not a thick coat, keep it random but do all the helmet.
The best way is to wear it. It's a newly painted helmet for use at the front not a 60 year old relic. Far to many relics worn as combat helmets.
I agree - it should look new if its your first battle and then let it age naturally with each wear/battle!! No room for 60+ year old helmets in authentic reenacting!
Military Helmet & Hat Replication & Refurbishment
Now Available WW2 US Airborne Clickers- Airborne Crickets:
http://www.airborne-cricket.com/
Now Available Military Whistles - WarWhistles:
http://www.warwhistles.com/
Sven Meyer

Post by Sven Meyer »

fallschirmjaeger wrote:
Stigroadie wrote:Cover it in mud from the garden, a nice sloppy mix works well. let it dry for a couple of days then brush it off by hand.
I agree - it should look new if its your first battle and then let it age naturally with each wear/battle!! No room for 60+ year old helmets in authentic reenacting!
I'll agree on that.I can often see that it's aged by hand...handling and wearing give you the most naturally ''aging''
on helmets. :o
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

I usually age my repainted helmets by beating them up abit and then use lampblack on a rag from a kerosene lantern which darkens the finish and gives it a nice "been there" look (gets into all the nooks & crannies). I finish it off with a coat or 2 of hobby paint "Dull Coat" to eliminate the new look finish.
Hope this helps.
My 2 cents,
Mauser98
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

So when in May 1944 you received your first issue helmet from the QM did you:

A. Keep it clean always putting it in a helmet bag, washing every day, oil it and feed the leather parts every 32 seconds
B. Take out back kick it round the parade square, boot polish it in 7 different shades adding authentic battle damage so you mate thought you had been in a real war
C. Wear it and use it for what it was another piece of equipment that you had to lug around, one the Sgt could put you on a charge for losing

Answers on a sealed down enveoploe to……
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

I get your point. But what makes you assume it was issued in May '44. It could have been issued in June '41 and was exposed to 3 yrs of action and the elements. I think it's a personal preference to decide whether to represent a soldier who is a combat veteran or a recruit off the transport and into the field. I prefer a slightly used appearance as opposed to a reenactor who chooses to look like he stepped off the parade ground. Everyone has a comfort zone.
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

Date unimportant…..

Be it 3 days, 3 weeks, 3months, 3 years…

It’s a piece of kit issued to you that you maintain because one day it may save your life, but at the same time not the only ‘original item’ you have and needs hugging, stores will issue you a new one….

Treat it as what it is an item of kit, some keep kit clean, some don’t, some do…. but age it… nah just use it…..
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

LAH650 wrote:Date unimportant…..

Be it 3 days, 3 weeks, 3months, 3 years…

It’s a piece of kit issued to you that you maintain because one day it may save your life, but at the same time not the only ‘original item’ you have and needs hugging, stores will issue you a new one….

Treat it as what it is an item of kit, some keep kit clean, some don’t, some do…. but age it… nah just use it…..
Target stop !! no more need be said
ImageImageImageImageImage
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

I respect your opinion. However, the thread title is "Aging tips please". Jeep111 was asking for assistance in how to age his helmet.
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

Guys,

Point taken..... I'll put my pen down...
DER SOLDATEN

Post by DER SOLDATEN »

Take the helmet for a walk in the woods and toss it in the bushes a few hundred times then stick it in a mud hole for a month.
Disclaimer : if you can not commit to leaving the helmet in a mud hole for one month,you are a WW2 reenactment junkie an should seek help from the nearest aid station. :lol:

Oh I almost forgot pee on it.
Obergefreiter Michael Frye
1./Panzerjäger Abteilung 228 Image

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”