Helmets etc in "der bunker" (well, the loft...)

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

jeep111

Re: Helmets etc in "der bunker" (well, the loft...)

Post by jeep111 »

is there an alternative to sof's green paint , like a humbrol or tamiya match :D

keep up the great work
james 8)
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

jeep111 wrote:is there an alternative to sof's green paint , like a humbrol or tamiya match :D

keep up the great work
james 8)
For use as an overspray as part of a "Normandy scheme" do you mean? Possibly RAL 6003. This colour was used as one of the colours on German armoured vehicles, and as vehicle paint was the usual source of paint for field repainted helmets, it is a good bet. For RAL 6003 I'd use Humbrol 117 or Revell 361.
Just for reference, in case it is of use, with regard to the "factory" paint schemes, I use the following:

For early war "light field grey" ("Apple Green") RAL 7009, I use Revell 67.

For late war "dark field grey" RAL 6006, I "D.I.Y." it, as per my last post, mixing 1 part black with 3 or 4 parts olive green (the other advantage of that is that no two of my late war dark field grey helmets are quite the same colour, which is quite authentic..!!

For Luftwaffe "Anthracite Grey" RAL 7016 I use Revell 9 "Anthracite Grey".

Other useful colours:

RAL 8020 "D.A.K. Brown", I use Humbrol 93
RAL 7028 "Dark Yellow" I use Humbrol 94
RAL 7027 I use Humbrol 187 "Afrika Sand Grey"

Hope that helps?

What does anyone else think to those colours - any ideas???

Cheers,
Ade
sparky

Post by sparky »

Thanks for showing ade! Nice collection, avoid buying originals as you will never have any money :lol:
matt
Proud to be a member of - WARS Das Reich -
Where the party never ends!
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

sparky wrote:Thanks for showing ade! Nice collection, avoid buying originals as you will never have any money :lol:
matt
My thoughts exactly...!!!
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Nicely done arrangement and a sweet collection. Looks like your bunker needs an expansion though. I think most of us collectors have that problem... :wink:
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Parsifal wrote:Nicely done arrangement and a sweet collection. Looks like your bunker needs an expansion though. I think most of us collectors have that problem... :wink:
Thanks for that! Yes, I have various other rooms earmarked for the expansion, but I think my wife will veto it...!!
Chris Pittman

Post by Chris Pittman »

Very nice collection, and very well displayed. I think putting together a collection like this is a much better idea than collecting original stuff, all the aesthetics are there, you can put together fantastic displays (as this one is), and never loose sleep worrying about how many of your "originals" are clever fakes.
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Chris Pittman wrote:Very nice collection, and very well displayed. I think putting together a collection like this is a much better idea than collecting original stuff, all the aesthetics are there, you can put together fantastic displays (as this one is), and never loose sleep worrying about how many of your "originals" are clever fakes.
Thanks Chris,

Yes - I agree - originals would be nice, but like you say, there is the constant worry of getting ripped off with fakes, plus the £'s go a lot further with repro's...!
Chorlitz|12.SS|

Post by Chorlitz|12.SS| »

My God, what a Collection .
Viktor Kauer

Post by Viktor Kauer »

Where did you buy the garbadine officer cap with the matt leather peak? I am after such a cap myself and couldn't find one :(

Thanks,

Kauer
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Viktor Kauer wrote:Where did you buy the garbadine officer cap with the matt leather peak? I am after such a cap myself and couldn't find one :(

Thanks,

Kauer
Hi Kauer,
Re the W-SS off's crusher, it is an absolute beaut..!! I'm not entirely sure who the manufacturer is. It was one of the first German WW2 things I bought, about 5 years ago. I got it from Epic Militaria (when they were under the old management) - although they don't (as far as I know) stock these any longer. The visor caps they have now aren't much good in my opinion - although some of their other stuff is good.
The chap at Epic back then was selling off loads of visor caps (taking up too much space apparently) at half price, so I got it without insignia for approx £40 from memory..!!! :shock: :D There is a label on the inside (behind sweat band) which says "Eigentum Sturm", but I can't believe that is as in "Sturm/Miltec", but you never know! I have not seen another one like it, before or since - I recently had a close look at a Janke made SS crusher, and I actually prefer mine..!!
Anyway, no idea where to point you to get one exactly like mine, but if you are after a nice trikot/gabardine crusher, all I can suggest is a Janke one (from James Brown/Extra Klasse), or Richard Underwood, who can get them made to order.
Cheers,
Ade
Viktor Kauer

Post by Viktor Kauer »

Found just the one on Extra Klasse, just need to find the 155 pounds to foot the bill!

I'm either going to have to wait until I have a significant income to afford such a high quality cap or look elsewhere :roll:

Thanks Kamerad,

Kauer
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Viktor Kauer wrote:Found just the one on Extra Klasse, just need to find the 155 pounds to foot the bill!

I'm either going to have to wait until I have a significant income to afford such a high quality cap or look elsewhere :roll:

Thanks Kamerad,

Kauer
Try Richard Underwood - they are not on his website, but he can get them made to order - not quite as nice as the Janke ones that Extra Klasse do, but not far off at all, and definitely the next best thing - prices vary, but for an SS crusher, I think it would be approx £70(????) - I was looking at one of his gabardine crushers at Malvern, and from memory the price was around that level..... If you're interested, email him and ask.. Richard is probably the person I get most of my stuff from - if you haven't dealt with him before, rest assured he is very helpful and a real gent..

Good luck..

Ade
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

I second that,I've known Richard for 'donkeys years' and as re-enactor himself he will get the best available items.I got a coastal artillery officers cap from Richard(made in germany)and I could'nt have been more pleased with the quality. :D
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Brigardefuhrer wrote:I second that,I've known Richard for 'donkeys years' and as re-enactor himself he will get the best available items.I got a coastal artillery officers cap from Richard(made in germany)and I could'nt have been more pleased with the quality. :D
Have you any pics of the coastal arty cap you could post? I've got an EMs Coastal Arty side cap, but an officer's visor is quite high on the wish list... Would be good to have a look if you were able to post a pic...!! :)
Cheers,
Ade

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”