Helmets etc in "der bunker" (well, the loft...)

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

reddevil1311

Re: Helmets etc in "der bunker" (well, the loft...)

Post by reddevil1311 »

I have the spare bedroom for most of my kit (and the loft, and the shed etc etc). Unfortunately it doesn't stay as nicely presented as yours! (The piles keep growing bigger - help! :P I can't see the carpet anymore! :lol: )

I am very lucky - the wife is "on my side" when comes to buying all of this (I just get the occassional "what do you need another pair of boots for - have'nt you already got some like that" etc!)

Nice photos mate.

Ashley
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se (FHF - Sweden)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org/
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

That's not a real militaria collection, there's no dragon action figures there... :lol:
Otherwise it's really quite good, commendable in fact.
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Thats a Nice collection you have sir , Like Ashley I have kit all round the house now Mrs Repper and Jugend Repper have started in the Hobby :shock:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Thanks John/Franz.
Franz - despite my best efforts :roll: :lol: , hell will freeze over before my wife will want to get involved, although my 4 year old lad is already turning into a WW2 german nut, so I may find an ally there, if I wanted to extend the collection back out of the loft....!!
John - sorry, no Dragon action figures - I've got plenty of little Dragon german armoured vehicles though - near enough??!!
Cheers,
Ade
Fritzdenis

Post by Fritzdenis »

I'm sorry but whats your address again and when are you away on holidays? :lol:

Seriously, very nice indeed. Green with envy here.
Frank
''Aw no, there's a donkey in the minaret tower again!''
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Thanks Frank,

I might post my address later..!! :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Ade
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

:wink: ..and my wife sighs at my (v small) helmet collection! What a fantastic assortment. As the son of a WW2 2nd Battalion Blackwatch veteran I obviously have British helmets but picked up a good condition M35 German helmet in Sweden (ex Norwegian defence force). I think the Finns used UK, Swedish, german et al helmets so doing Finnish reenacting (whenever I get to start that is) means I can use almost all my helmets! (maybe not the UK Mk6). Interesting seeing the devlopment of helmet design. The german style is now almost universal but I note us Brits have gone for a different design. Also of interest is the fact that a std Mk6 (a) Uk helmet is cheap as chips on Ebay but para helmets still go for good money - are our lads buying them for real combat? (the para helmet is lighter than Mk6 but does not provide the same ballistic protection)
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

:mrgreen:
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Hi Royalecosse,

Cheers! Joking aside my wife is very tollerant, bless her, but moving the collection into the loft was probably a marriage saver..!! :lol: So, a loft conversion for you too then eh..??!!

Yes, development of helmets is quite interesting, interesting too that us Brits like to hang on to what appear to be old outmoded helmet patterns long after most other armies move on to better things..!! I do have non-German items, both wartime and post war in the collection too - such as a kevlar US PASGT, and a really cool US M1 pattern, genuine ex- Iraqi Republican Guard helmet, with some Arabic inscription around the outside (so far unable to translate it), and written inside it the name of the US 82d ABN DIV Staff Sgt that captured it with date/location etc - great bit of very recent history. At the risk of going off topic, and as an aside, I have heard (not sure how true) that the "Elite" :roll: :lol: Iraqi Republican Guard were given Saddam's finest selection of US and West German produced M1 pattern helmets (i.e. a plastic liner AND a steel shell), whilst many in the rank and file of the regular army only got issued with the plastic liner.... :shock: Poor buggers....!
A.Weiss

Post by A.Weiss »

Last edited by A.Weiss on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Many thanks Weiß!! I just wish I had more room, then I could get some mannequins dressed up... Perhaps once I've won the lottery and moved into my mansion...!!
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Having just seen your other post as well (tunics) I think you should start reenacting ASAP! As repros they deserve to be worn, much as they make a nice display! :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Hi Pug42,
Thanks - I think you are right - shame to keep them cooped up in the loft..!! Just trying to decide which direction to go in, hopefully will get going with re-enacting later this year..!!
Cheers,
Ade
jeep111

Post by jeep111 »

for you camo heer m42 what type of paint and coulers did you use :D

thanks hans
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Hi Hans,
I gave it a "dark field grey" base (I mix my own - 1 part black with 3 or 4 parts olive green - ish), and added the decal (from military-steel-helmets-and-decals.com in the US). Over this scheme and around the decal I brush painted Tamiya XF60 "Dark Yellow" (I normally use enamels, but this was an exception). Once that was dry I sprayed patches of the "German Green" spray paint Soldier of Fortune do (SOF seem to sell it for use as late war "dark Field Grey", but it is no good for that, but useful for Normandy scheme use..!!). It then had a run in with some wire wool, a screw driver and my patio floor, and "voila"..! :D

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”