War and peace or Odyssey?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Herr Taff

War and peace or Odyssey?

Post by Herr Taff »

If you are only going to one of these two which would it be?

Its a trek for me from South Wales so I must pick only one!

any opinions?
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

hello mate
a lot of it depends on what you want from the show........
war and peace is mainly from the second world war forwards to today, but having said that it is the better of the two for shopping :D
whereas odysey is a multi period event everything from ancient times up to present day but less shopping ,
the choice is yours but left to me i would go for odysey...... lets see what the others say
Rich
Coming Soon..........
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

I'd go for the Military Odyssey. This will be my fourth visit with the fourth society I've been in! 916, US 1st, Vikings and now at last with GD. While it's not as big a shopping trip compared to Beltring it's a more high profile event.
Kurt Hartman

Post by Kurt Hartman »

I attend both shows due to work , Beltring is good for shopping but its nice to mingle with other time period re-enactors at Odysey.
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Detling is the only place you can rub shoulders with the Hobbits! (sorry Sealed Knot)
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

only the sealed knot ain't going this year SHAME
Rich[/img]
Coming Soon..........
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

It's Napoleonic this year, start of the bi-centenery.
Formerly of GD Recon.
Herr Taff

Post by Herr Taff »

mmm due to holidays and a new tent I am smooooth and I mean smooth talking mrs taff to go to the both! we will see! war and peace is first so if that goes well it could mean the two.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

With Beltring you have the infernal dust and quad bikers causing a nuisance all week.

The Odyssey is a bit gentler on the mind body and soul I reckon. However, there is 'something' about Beltring I can't stay away from.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

352nd

Post by 352nd »

Wouldn't know myself. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Beltring, like things going missing and strange people lurching around.
Stabsgefreiter Martin Hetch-2nd Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung, Grossdeutschland.

Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

352nd wrote:Wouldn't know myself. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Beltring, like things going missing and strange people lurching around.
And that's just the re-enactors!
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

352nd wrote:Wouldn't know myself. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Beltring, like things going missing and strange people lurching around.
HA HA HA HA HA! That's US! well, I don't lurch much any more...... I sort of shamble

Taff - Beltring is an experience...... you can never grasp it when people talk about it, never quantify it from photos, You HAVE to be there at least once and like Schafer says - It just grabs you....

Detling is another must. Old man Howard has got the formula right and while it's there you haev to experience that also. It is a gentler show and more in tune with re-enactment. Beltring is raw and powerful, Detling is svelte and sexy.....

If you do Beltring arrange a spot in the quiet re-enactors field for your missus Otherwise it can be a bit overwhelming for 1st timers families. Detling has a quiet area anyway. And as for 352's scare stories As you WELL know - Thieves are everywhere not just at shows.... Security is the watchword. Lock it out of sight.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

When 352nd referred to things going missing I assumed he meant re-enactors being unable to find their way back from the bier tent! :lol: :wink:

352nd

Post by 352nd »

yes, i keep meaning to get to beltring sometime. Delting is a bit harder because i alway have to work that weekend doing a generator hire for a local rugby club's evening party. So i never get to it. I've also heard storys about Beltring's bogs being crap, but they can't be any worse than peak rail's porter loo last year :oops:
Stabsgefreiter Martin Hetch-2nd Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung, Grossdeutschland.

Feldwebel

Post by Feldwebel »

Hah. South Wales is a bloody doddle. When I attended Odyssey this year (first time) I was travelling from Manchester waaaaay up in the north. Four hour train journey and then another hour from London to Maidstone East.

Odyssey was good though, me and my mate enjoyed the weekend, even with some bloody pissed up SS guys in the tent next to us SNORING all night, both nights.

Probably going to War and Peace this year though, want some more shopping, and I was a bit disappointed with the amount of WW2 reenactments at Odyssey.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”