Wasser

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

If it's a wool one it shrinks it!!!!!

YOu seem to be asking about how to "crush" your cap....

OK - DISCLAIMER - "If it goes tits up - dont' come to me with the bill!"

Take a clean washing up bowl. Boil the kettle. Boil a couple! Pour into the bowl so that the hat can stand in it without the band becoming wet.

Put the cap in upside down (Top of cap into boiling water) EEEEEK! yeah - I know.... :shock:

Boil another kettle whilst this is standing there and then pour this kettle INTO :shock: :shock: the hat..........

Lift the hat out of the water and allow to drain through... keep the cap band dry......

Now here is the painful, daft bit.....

With a towel around your shoulders so you don't get sopping wet, place cap on head... :twisted: OUCH! IT'S HOT!!!!!

And standing in front of the best mirror, vainly pat and pull and tug the cap into the shape you want...... When happy..... Sit and watch the telly until it dries........ Should keep its shape for a long time....... Happy crushing!
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

How did we get on to crushing caps on a water thread?

Anyway - back on topic - The recent National Battle taught us that you can NOT carry enough water..... physically...... Even the 10l containers run out quickly when a squad needs drinks and stews and food etc. Adn that was in COLD weather!!!

Water - Very important and a very good tip from Mike! Cheers Mike.
pzrwest

boiling water

Post by pzrwest »

I use a similar trick to shape my m43 cap. when it gets really yucky inside from sweat build up i just imerse my m43 cap in hot water then take a nail brush and some liquid shampoo(for oily hair works best) and gently scrub out the sweat. then i take the cap and put it in the washing machine on the spoin cycle only let it spin up and spin out the excess water then put it on and reshape it and let it dry. Fits perfect and retains the shape
pzrwest

water bottle cleaning

Post by pzrwest »

To clean my water bottle i put a 1/4 cup of BB's(177 cal.) in the flask put a cork in the top and shake the s..t out of it then remove the BB's sinse it out then put some baking soda in the flask and mix some vinegar with some water then pour it into the flash and let it bubble away for a few minutes then dump it out rinse good then was the BB's and put them back into the flask and give it another good shaking then remove the BB's then rinse well and viola a clean flask. To get rid of the rubber taste frome the rubber seal at the top i cut a small disk frome a margarine tub lid that fits the stopper cap and put it in the cap it will seal the bottle and no more rubber taste
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

Do any of your units 'mark' those who have been known to go down with dehydration or heat stroke previously? I know that once someone does, they are more prone to doing it again and again and if the unit or anyone around that person knows this then there is a better chance of preventing it. I know we are all adults and shouldn't have to babysit others, but the reality is we do end up needing to look out for one another. If everyone around them is constantly asking the person 'how much water have you had' and 'do you have enough water with you' maybe they'll get tired of it and be more responsible about it. We usually just put a small piece of tape or something that doesn't ruin the impression on the back of their helmet/bread bag/large pack or whatever.
Just curious if this is done over there as we've tried it a little here with sucess.

Kelly
'Guns for show, knives for a pro'

Kelly McKeel - Facebook me!
DRK Nurse - Heidi Stöckel
Helferinnen- Heidi Stöckel
Sgt ATS
pzrwest

question

Post by pzrwest »

Kelly are you a female? your avitar is a lady and if so what is your impression?
Wilder Feger

Re: question

Post by Wilder Feger »

pzrwest wrote:Kelly are you a female? your avitar is a lady and if so what is your impression?
Yes, I am female and I do several impressions depending on the event, time of year, state, etc. I portray ATS (this is currently my main one), Ami Nurse, civilian, Resistance (for private battles) and my DRK kit is in the making though I have portrayed that already at events by borrowing a uniform. I am also going to have Helferin kit, most likely SS Blitz, made this year. Once I have my German kit, all of it, I will primarily split between British and German.

Kelly

Sgt ATS
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I love a woman who is able to split primarily!!!!! :shock:

Apologies up front ! I simply COUDN'T resist!
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

Fwbl Dollman wrote:I love a woman who is able to split primarily!!!!! :shock:

Apologies up front ! I simply COUDN'T resist!
:lol: :P that's alright... it's expected from you :wink:

Sgt ATS
Maus Commander

Re: Wasser

Post by Maus Commander »

Mike wrote:Not sure if this is a tips item but it seems to fit. Wasser it’s about drinking and having enough in battles and shows.
I’ve seen it over the years people dehydrated at shows due to wearing of thick woollen clothing in the summer months there not accustom too and a night on the beer, the importance of carrying your water bottle full to the seasoned re-enactor and group is like teaching your granny to suck eggs, but to the new people of the hobby this important detail might be missed in the excitement of the event.
One check our unit makes is full water bottles and drinks before battles, our medic always carry’s extra water, and 9 times out of ten this get’s issued out to needy companions you could be 20 minutes away from a drink at shows and that march back to camp could be a long one..
Smart advice, at the SVR [hot weekend] I wound up doing the battle, went to the loo afterwards and passed steam. :lol:

Seriously though, its a good idea to do a little recon yourselves before some battles looking for sources of water or drinks, I usually make a quick sweep nearby during the day or leading up to the battle looking for snack-shacks and burger vans [NOT BEER TENTS or PUBS!] and such that sell drinks, aswell as a full waterbottle before starting an event where you are "on patrol" or a battle, then I usually keep a fiver or a few quid in my pocket to get such drinks when the event is over.

And that's a bit of advice from a newcomer to the hobby :shock:

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”