Ground Sheets

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
VonSchnitzel

Ground Sheets

Post by VonSchnitzel »

Just wondering what people use if they do for ground sheets for the their 4 man or more Zelts tents
I have seen a few pics with some and some without.
Just would like to get some ideas to use if there is a supplier out there somewhere for ground sheets that would be good.
Western Australia's Only WW2 Reenacting Group
World War 2 Forces WA
http://www.ww2forceswa.com

Ramcke Brigade Afrika
43rd Sturm Pioniers
18th Luftwaffe Field Division
German Combat Medic
Konzert-Meister

Re: Ground Sheets

Post by Konzert-Meister »

Afternoon,

No such piece of kit was issued or used. I cringe at zelts set up with groundsheets, especially anything modern.

Straw is what you need in the bottom of the four piece zelt, one decent sized bail will do it. Don't sprinkle it around, break it up and get a couple of feet depth underneath where you sleep. This, with the wool uniform will do you even down to -10C. However it's likely you'll have a greatcoat and blanket to put under and over you. Plus a candle or lamp inside the tent will warm it, just make sure it's secure and not going to be knocked over.

Unless you're an absolute cripple you wont get backache or cold. If straw isn't available, use other materials to hand. Spruce boughs, dry grasses etc For extra comfort, a Soviet shelter half or similar (depending on front) can be added as bedding.

The first time I slept on straw was age 14, I am now 20. It's authentic and it works.

Regards
VonSchnitzel

Post by VonSchnitzel »

cheers
Western Australia's Only WW2 Reenacting Group
World War 2 Forces WA
http://www.ww2forceswa.com

Ramcke Brigade Afrika
43rd Sturm Pioniers
18th Luftwaffe Field Division
German Combat Medic
vobehacker

Post by vobehacker »

another way is to sew to period blankets together, but leave one end open then stuff that with straw, works a treat lovely and warm, and when the straw gets either damp or needs renewing , take out the old straw and renew, you lay this either staight on the ground or on another bed of straw
9th SS Hohenstaufen
grenmartens

Post by grenmartens »

Or buy a decent groundsheet............ :roll:
Pz Gren Hoffmann

Post by Pz Gren Hoffmann »

And be farb... :roll:
grenmartens

Post by grenmartens »

And dry..........
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

If no one sees it, I don't see the issue, I've figured out that some comforts are nice that I keep hidden. I'd rather be dry and feeling great the next day thank soaked and grumpy after a bad nights sleep, it also affects the others around you. Hopefully we've all done the real thing, so we know how it is, but why does one have to keep doing it just to prove a point? But if you're going to go the hardcore way, do it right, I want to see you shaving period style, washing, period style and so on as well!
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
valkyrie895

Post by valkyrie895 »

At most reenactments you will see tent cities etc which is ok for rear area presentations.

My unit does foxholes when possible and if you are willing to give this a try, it will solve the ground sheet dilemma.

What we do is have shift sleeping/night watch. Two men share a position which consists of a "by the manual" wolfgrabhugel with one zelt on the floor and one stretched over top. This keeps you dry from the bottom and from the top and allows you to be totally "hardcore" without feeling like scheisse the next day.

This is not however recommended at 10 degree fahrenheit blizzard condition winter events. Learned that one the hard way.

Give it a try one time, it's not too bad.

Just my .02

-Bodo
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”