Some help from SBG members

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
redsun

Some help from SBG members

Post by redsun »

Hi all! Just joined up with the SBG and, while I like to think of myself as pretty well in the know about history, I would rather hear it from the horse's mouth. So, any old salty SBG dogs who wander over here, pleeeeease answer? Pretty Please?

1. Camo smocks. Is there one style that is prevalent? Some that are excluded because they were not issued to the LSSAH? I know there are a huge variety of types and subtypes so I would rather be sure.

2. Same question, but with Feldblusen. I have an M36 tunic and pants. As I am a lowly Grenadier will that be an issue?

3. How are event attendance decided? I know some require pre booking of groups so how is that handled?

4. Deactivated weapons, or replicas? If deactivated, are there any legal hoops to jump through?

5. Id disks. Are we given one, or just the info to put on one?

6. Greatcoat or parka?

I probably have more but it is late and I have had far to much sugar. Ta!
Brigardefuhrer

Re: Some help from SBG members

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Hi.Have you received your information pack yet?,group is going over for 'plane tree'smocks.M36 tunic ok for parade,to own a de-act you have to be over 18,a replica you have to be a member of an re-enactment group ect;.Event attendance is organised by HQ who you have to notifie if you are going to attend.You have to get your own ID disc,but again you can get the info for it from HQ
attachment (3).jpg
attachment (3).jpg (232.34 KiB) Viewed 8454 times
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
soest

Post by soest »

Welcome to the group.

To give a little more detail to what John said.

1. The groups preferred look for combat is camouflage smock and field grey uniform. The preferred smock is Planetree and can be either first pattern with the slits in the front or second pattern with the pockets. I wouldn't invest in peadots unless you really want to. The only time you may get to wear them if you do is at a private battle.

2. As John said the 36 pattern tunic should be fine for parade.

3. You will get emails from the group listing events coming up. Just let them know if you're able to attend. I cannot think of any event that has a numbers limit but if there is that will be detailed in the email.

4. As a Grenadier your preferred weapon is a K98. To get a live firer you need to apply to your local police force for a firearms certificate. For a De-ac all you need to be is over 18 years old. If you want a replica or blank firer you need to prove that your part of a re-enactment group. A copy of your membership card would cover that with most vendors. You can also hire live / blank firing weapons at events so there's no great rush to get your own to begin with.

5. You have to provide your own ID tag. The best I've found was from a German guy who attends War and Peace under the business "Propaganda kompanie". He has the basic unit markings ready printed so all you need to add is your number and blood group letter.

6. Either greatcoat or parka. There are pro's and con's for both. Great coats cover the entire war whereas parkas are really late war. The great coat also makes a useful blanket....

Regards

Soest
redsun

Post by redsun »

awesome, thank you both so much. With regard to m43 camo caps, some units don't allow them to be badged. What about the SBG? Do some guys also mix and match camo patterns ie. palm helmet, oak cap, blurred smock etc?

(Sorry if this is getting annoying, but I'd rather ask the questions here than turn up at an event with the wrong sort of equipment)
Halle

Post by Halle »

redsun , I'm surprised you have to resort to a forum like this to get answers to basic questions you have about a group you've recently joined !
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

Halle - a rather unhelpful reply and not one worthy of this forum, the lad who made the enquiry is new has not made event yet and has no access to the group other than at an event. Questions like that are precisely what the forum is for, I imagine that you dropping your size nines in with all the subtlety and tact of a flying breezeblock really made him feel welcome!!!
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
Halle

Post by Halle »

Sturmschar , it wasn't my intention to make anybody feel unwelcome ! Far from it - I was simply expressing my surprise and concern that such a well known and well organised group as SBG hadn't found a way of communicating all this info to redsun outside of the forum ... :?: He's clearly a keen recruit ..

I shall remove my size tens forthwith Sir ..... :wink:
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
redsun

Post by redsun »

Oh dear, perhaps I should offer some back story. As I am moving back to the UK from overseas things are a tad hectic so I was only able to meet the boys on the first day of Overlord so I chose that moment to get to know them, rather than ask a thousand and one questions about the little details. Add to that I don't have any membership card or anyway to contact any members. So here I am.
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Redsun, good luck to you the SBG are a fine group and you will be guided with your questions as soon as possible im sure. Please don't feel embarrassed about asking questions no matter how silly YOU may think them im sure the group would want you to ask so you get all the right gear instead of doing what may do and buying rubbish gear much of which may well be unusable within the group.

In the end asking questions will save you a load of money mate.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Dave
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Once you join,you will get a membership card and an information pack about uniform and kit. Also a newsletter as well as email updates.Training days will show you how to drill and weapon safety(new members can get basic training at events as well).I know our chairman is having trouble with emails at the moment so that could be why communications are slow.
As for wearing insignia on camou caps it was rare,most are worn without badges(I don't have it on my own cap).
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
redsun

Post by redsun »

Wonderful, thank you all so much and I look forward to meeting you!
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

Its a pleasure look forward to meeting you.
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

Hello redsun , welcome to the forum but also a warm welcome to the Second Battle Group 8)
My fellow group members have given you the answers that you were asking for , as already posted on here the emails are a bit slow at the moment because of the resistance blowing up more telegraph pole than normal , but once this has all be sorted normal email sending will be resumed :wink:
I would advise you to get the great coat over the parka as the great coat will be , and is a good bit of universal kit , you can also wear the smock over it if the need arises :shock: :lol: :wink:
At your next event please come over to us in the Fg , i will introduce you to the people that will give you the heads up and training needed to be a SBG Gren , if you have any weapon to bring and it needs some form of cert ect please again see me with paperwork as i need to get it logged into our system
I look forward to seeing you at a show soon 8) and once again welcome and enjoy .

Mike
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
redsun

Post by redsun »

Damned Bolsheviks! I should be able to make the first day of war and peace (see earlier hectic statement) and be able to pick up some of the things I'm missing like the smock etc. But like I said, no way of letting HQ know except email, carrier pigeon,smoke signal or a U boat off the coast. Do the different groups show up early on the day of or the day before? It's never too late to get my hands on a zelt bahn :lol:

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”