Jackboots

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
saddler

Jackboots

Post by saddler »

I've tried to avoid the obvious newbie mistake, but from my study of older posts I thought it best to post a new question, as I want to find out what the CURRENT situation is with regard to German Jackboots.

I need a set for my Finnish impression.

Some traders are rated one month then slated the next.
Some makes start out bad, then improve.
Some makes start well then swiftly decline.

Chances are the most suitable boots I need will be the WW1 type...though the WW2 version may possibly also have a place for later war.

I'm interested in finding out the present state of affairs for WHICH makes of boots are best...a sort of top ten/top five!

I have seen the Czech made ones discussed, but don't have the funds for a pair of these right now.
I have read polar opposite views of the Sturm made boots.
Some boots I thought may be suitable, I then spotted as being made in Pakistan.

IF at all possible I want to avoid Pakistani made boots.
Not 100% against Chinese ones, IF they are well made ...

And in case it may be of use/relevance I need a pair in size 42 - as some issues regarding quality may be more problematical with the canoe sized offerings

Many thanks for your input!
GraemeMac

Re: Jackboots

Post by GraemeMac »

Ive yet to come across any Pakistani, Indian, Chinese etc made boots Id say were well made. Most seem to be able to manage uppers ok, but when it comes to the soles? Eeck. Ive salvaged a few by pegging them, sewing arches, etc. Some are made of such poor materials that no amount of stitching or wooden pegs will save them.

Any boot maker that thinks glue, staples or wishful thinking will hold up in the feild is just pure mental.

Of the lot ive reworked, sturm seems to have stood up the best(!). That said, that was low boots, but if the jacks are made to similar specs/materials, Id imagind they are of a muchness.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
saddler

Post by saddler »

Thanks

I'd read mixed reviews of the Strum made ones.

I'm 100% NOT going to buy any Pakistani made as they cannot tan leather to save their lives.
The Chinese US Double Buckle boots I have are very well made - but I've no idea what factory they're from nor if they also make Jackboots. Even if they did, the fact they got the US boots done well is not an indicator that the German boots would be up to the task or be accurate copies
rsvpiper

Post by rsvpiper »

How about the Bundy march boots from either Richard Underwood or Epic
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Bundy boots are solid, but built differently.

They are lined, which is a nice feature, but wrong, and you can see they run a little tighter on the calf, aswell as having a seam at the top.

They are welted, which produces an obvious 'rim' to the sole which original Jack's didn't.

Lastly, the toes aren't rough out - which again gives the game away.

Once I get the leather I'm owed(grrr!), I have plans to re-work the soles on my own pair of bundy boots, aswell as a group mates. The lining can be removed with relative ease, but it still doesn't get past the non rough out toes.

....and by the time you've gone through all that effort/cost, ontop of buying the bundy boots.....is it worth it?
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
rsvpiper

Post by rsvpiper »

GraemeMac wrote:Bundy boots are solid, but built differently.

They are lined, which is a nice feature, but wrong, and you can see they run a little tighter on the calf, aswell as having a seam at the top.

They are welted, which produces an obvious 'rim' to the sole which original Jack's didn't.

Lastly, the toes aren't rough out - which again gives the game away.

Once I get the leather I'm owed(grrr!), I have plans to re-work the soles on my own pair of bundy boots, aswell as a group mates. The lining can be removed with relative ease, but it still doesn't get past the non rough out toes.

....and by the time you've gone through all that effort/cost, ontop of buying the bundy boots.....is it worth it?
Agree with all Graeme But they are a good get you in the field boot until you can get them gucci boots made :D

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”