Smelly Leather From Asia

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Halle

Re: Smelly Leather From Asia

Post by Halle »

Gummipuppe wrote:
Eberhard wrote:Hi

Had the same problem with my sniper scope case, febreezed it but the smell comes back, wife could smell the case when going up the stairs once.

Think the smell is here to stay.
Funny how women have such a heightened sense of smell. My holster has been sitting out in the garage for two years now. I don't dare bring it in the house because I would get complaints from the wife, even it the smell was barely noticeable to me.

peiper1944 wrote:I think it may be the Asian tanning techniques they use,
try soaking the item in oil that should kill the smell ;-)
I could try oil, but it will probably turn into a mess. Maybe even stink worse.

When you buy stuff from Asia, God only knows what you're getting. Importers seem to have no quality control and/or just don't care. They unload the shipping containers and just sell the stuff. Lead paint on toys, poisoned dog food, products that quickly break during normal use... and, stinky leather goods, including reenactor gear.

I think I read somewhere that the Asians use ineffective ingredients in their tanning process that don't totally preserve the hide. The leather smells because it's actually rotting inside. I have read accounts where people buy leather furniture, coats, shoes, and purses made in Asia and they can't keep 'em in their homes because the strong fumes make them sick.
Is this really necessary ? I do think this Guy has a problem with " Asians " - come on mods ..!
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Halle wrote:
Is this really necessary ? I do think this Guy has a problem with " Asians " - come on mods ..!
Come on.........now you're looking for something to complain
about :?
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Gummipuppe

Post by Gummipuppe »

Halle wrote:
LOL! Are you serious? LOL! Come on!
SS - Panzergrenadier Philipp Keinezähne
12. SS Panzer Division HitlerJugen Midwest
www.12sspanzermw.com/
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

I think the answer is dont buy cheap leather junk from Asia if you dont like the smell?
Gummipuppe

Post by Gummipuppe »

SplinterA wrote:I think the answer is dont buy cheap leather junk from Asia if you dont like the smell?
Well, now... There's an idea! Yeah, I try to avoid buying it, but in some cases, I am not aware of any other choice. For example, do you know anyone who makes nice reproduction leather P38 holsters that don't stink?

Also, when companies sell repro leather items on their websites, they don't specify that they are cheap, stinky junk. I'm sure that if I contacted them and asked, they'd say, "Why, no! Our leather goods are of the finest quality and they don't stink. No, sir-ee." :D
www.12sspanzermw.com/
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

At the front will sell you a non stinky holster.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Hi all

Just read the further threads regarding the smell. Anyone had any luck with any of the either suggestions on here, have kept febreezing the item, think the smell is slightly less each time I febreeze it, but not gone completely.

Am puzzled by the comment regarding smelly leather, how are these comments racist when we are talking about the treatment to the leather?

Regards

Eberhard
Gummipuppe

Post by Gummipuppe »

Eberhard wrote:Hi all

Just read the further threads regarding the smell. Anyone had any luck with any of the either suggestions on here, have kept febreezing the item, think the smell is slightly less each time I febreeze it, but not gone completely.

Am puzzled by the comment regarding smelly leather, how are these comments racist when we are talking about the treatment to the leather?

Regards

Eberhard
Well, Eberhard, there are apparently a lot of extremely sensitive, politically correct people on this forum. Be careful what you post because if it can possibly be construed by even the most ridiculous stretch to be offensive, they will start hitting the panic button and calling for the moderator to shut the post down. From what I gather, there have been some truly inflammatory posts on this forum in the past, so perhaps that is what is prompting some members to do this. You know, keep things civil and completely benign. I can understand wanting to keep things this way. Unfortunately, moderator police actions can be carried to the extreme where members start becoming afraid of sharing their thoughts, debating, asking questions, and sharing information. Fortunately, the moderator of this section is being reasonable.

With regard to smelly leather from A___, I used the neatsfoot oil recommendation. The leather sucked it in and the fowl dead fish/chemical smell is gone. Now, there is a slight smell of oil, but it's tolerable. It will be interesting to see if the fowl smell ever comes back.
www.12sspanzermw.com/
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Hi

Cheers for that, I'll try the oil, as can see going through a load of bottles of febreeze otherwise.

Regards

Eberhard
RKrieger

Post by RKrieger »

One of my friends runs a leather and findings company, so I asked him what's the deal with leather from China .. and that smell.

The answer is, fish oil. The quality of the leather is often quite good, the method of tanning is also quite good. But the treatment of the tanned leather post production to preserve it is often with low quality fish oils. The oils work fine for the purpose, but the smell is not at all appealing to the Western consumer.

The amount of oil used is often minimal, but the odor is pungent. re-oiling with neatsfoot oil should seal in the fish oil and reduce the smell.

So the smell actually has little to do with the quality of the leather, most of the leather products coming out of China are good quality.

Note also that the smell is not considered "bad" in China.. it is the "normal" smell of leather. In fact the Chinese think leathers treated with other animal oils smell Bad. ( according to my friend who has a lot of Chinese clients )
Gummipuppe

Post by Gummipuppe »

RKrieger wrote:One of my friends runs a leather and findings company, so I asked him what's the deal with leather from China .. and that smell.

The answer is, fish oil. The quality of the leather is often quite good, the method of tanning is also quite good. But the treatment of the tanned leather post production to preserve it is often with low quality fish oils. The oils work fine for the purpose, but the smell is not at all appealing to the Western consumer.

The amount of oil used is often minimal, but the odor is pungent. re-oiling with neatsfoot oil should seal in the fish oil and reduce the smell.

So the smell actually has little to do with the quality of the leather, most of the leather products coming out of China are good quality.

Note also that the smell is not considered "bad" in China.. it is the "normal" smell of leather. In fact the Chinese think leathers treated with other animal oils smell Bad. ( according to my friend who has a lot of Chinese clients )
The smell is not only offensive, but I have heard that people have actually gotten sick from the smelly fumes emitting from large items like leather furniture and coats. Not sure how anyone could consider that to be good. :shock:
www.12sspanzermw.com/
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Hi

The sniper scope pouch that I bought is very well made, and have not seen it sold anywhere else. It was not cheap, but until they invent smelly vision, you can't really tell if it's going to smell. Now that I know about it will be more aware if buying stuff next time.

Regards

Eberhard
RKrieger

Post by RKrieger »

Eberhard wrote:Hi

The sniper scope pouch that I bought is very well made, and have not seen it sold anywhere else. It was not cheap, but until they invent smelly vision, you can't really tell if it's going to smell. Now that I know about it will be more aware if buying stuff next time.

Regards

Eberhard

one man's perfume is another man's putrid
saddler

Post by saddler »

RKrieger wrote:I would avoid hydrocarbon based oils, this is detrimental to the collagen fibres that make up leather.

Obviously in period any oil would serve as the items were expendable.

Proper harness oil, composed of rendered and stabilized animal oils often called Neatsfoot oil is the only oil that should be used to condition, waterproof and soften leather. It has properties similar to the natural lipids that living hide have in them saturation with this oil will revitalize even very old dried out leather.

I have seen leather over 150 years old returned to serviceable condition with proper oiling.

As the German army was largely horse drawn there was substantial need for proper harness oil in the maintenance of the drawing harnesses for wagons. Finding proper oil to condition your gear should have been no issue.

Harness oil can often be found at farm supply stores or Tack shops.

Again.. avoid hydrocarbon oils.. they will kill your leather.. eventually causing the leather to simply fail and fall apart.
I'd agree with most of your post, but the saddler that trained me was told by the saddler that trained him to NEVER use neatsfoot oil (as far as regular maintenance goes)...with the caveat that it CAN serve a very limited role is used sparingly on a newly made item. Sparingly.

Much like hydrocarbon oils will kill the leather, as you state, so will Neatsfoot oil...but not instantly.
It's like someone needing a very light grade of sewing machine oil for some fine machinery & instead using a grade of oil designed for tractors.
Neatsfoot is too thick/viscous - and drenching kit WILL only hasten the demise of it.
Fine for issued kit back in the days of nipping into the QM store for a replacement...but not with current kit prices.
I've done quite a bit of study into period oils and the like, and HARNESS OIL may not be the Neatsfoot that you take it to be....oil is not all the same, as you know.

For US continent based people, look for the Fiebings brand of products - their Mink Oil Paste is good.
For UK based people, look for Ko-Cho-Line. I've sold this for over 10 years and have had ZERO complaints about it & no returns...in some cases people in the same unit have used Neatsfoot & Ko-Cho-Line - only the items treated with the latter ended up fully reconditioned.
My saddler mate's wife used it on a very dried up Victorian period side-saddle. Prior to treating it was almost like chipboard and would crack/snap if any pressure was put on it. Several weeks of gradual application of the Ko-Cho-Line - saddle was restored to ridable condition: and with saddles, get it wrong & the consequences could be fatal; not just a pair of boots falling apart...

The sales rep for the firms I deal with all say that the ONLY reason they still produce Neatsfoot is that folk still want to buy it...it's not got much scientific thought behind it's contents. The reasoning if that back in the days of sail ships, when such leather dressing was needed, they noticed that the legs of cattle did not freeze when standing on frozen ground; so why not use said fat from the legs, boil it down and make a leather dressing from the resultant oils? Makes sense? Did to them...
Technology has come on leaps and bounds since such days, yet folk still use possibly the worst leather dressing available...

BUT

As the saying goes, your money your choice.

My opinion on the stuff is that it is far too easy to misuse so is best left on the shelf.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”