Winter Padded Parka and Trousers Question

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
soest

Winter Padded Parka and Trousers Question

Post by soest »

Kameraden,

I have spent ages looking around the interweb with no success as I'm trying to find photographic evidence over whether the padded winter over uniforms were worn with mixed designs.

For example I know that the earlier made suits were a plain grey colour and then different camouflage patterns were made such as the Oakleaf patterns used by the SS.

So far so good.

What I'm after is photographic evidence, if possible, of whether any mixed designs were issued and worn? for example a parka in Oakleaf worn with the plain grey padded trousers.

Hope that makes sense.

If any one can point me in the direction of any original pictures or books that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Soest
SplinterA

Re: Winter Padded Parka and Trousers Question

Post by SplinterA »

soest

Post by soest »

Thanks Splinter A. He may be. There is another guy, possibly an officer, towards the right of the picture that appears to be wearing a non camouflage parka but I can't decide if he is wearing plain coloured or camouflage trousers.

It does seem that there may be some mix of kit issued.
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

There are a few photos that show a mix of parka in the same unit but very often they are waist up shots so the trousers are not visible and so no conclusion about mixed jackets and trousers can be drawn.
soest

Post by soest »

I actually found a photo in a book at home (Doh!) that does show what I was looking for. There is a line of troops wearing splinter pattern padded winter suits, in the line 1 man is wearing a full plain suit and there is another wearing a splinter parka and plain winter trousers. The plain items of clothing are too dark to be the white side out and the troops look too clean for it to be the white side that has been fouled with dirt.

I haven't found too many photo's like this but it does suggest there was a mix at times which may reflect newer replacement kit being issued to replace a worn out, damaged or lost earlier item.
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

The padded suits were issued as needed, they were not your personal kit. If the weather got cold you were issued a suit. When it warmed up you gave it back.
Issued often meant, as it does in many armies, a suit was thrust into your hands, it was down to the soldiers guile to get one that fitted.
There is some film footage of winter clothing being issued from a building window. Worth tracking down.
soest

Post by soest »

Now that makes sense...

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

Steve

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”