General Hasso Von Manteuffel uniform questions

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
peiper1944

Re: General Hasso Von Manteuffel uniform questions

Post by peiper1944 »

My finished winter project now completed, a copy of General Der Panzertruppe Hasso Von Manteuffel's tunic
(post edited, now just showing "scratch-built" insignia)
General Manteuffel eppaulette.jpg
General Manteuffel eppaulette.jpg (37.82 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
medal ribbon updated.jpg
medal ribbon updated.jpg (144.17 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
(Medal ribbon bar updated)

Cheers Pipes
Last edited by peiper1944 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Looks nice Loz.My only thing is, do you think the GD cuff title should be just above the cuff and the AK title on the cuff edge its self,it might be my eyes as they are they seem to take up most of the cuff,compared to the original photo's.Now did you pin the medals/decorations through the cloth of the jacket or did you sew medal loops :lol: John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Hi John, I sewed medal loops for the decorations,
as for the cuff titles I agree they look a bit odd, tried
to get them all on the cuff but they do look like they
should be moved tbh
Cheers Pipes

peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

My "scratch built" Manteuffel tunic after a few alterations ;-)
General Manteuffel tunic pic 4 updated.jpg
General Manteuffel tunic pic 4 updated.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
WH General Schirmutze.jpg
WH General Schirmutze.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
Pipes

Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Really coming together Loz.Regards the ribbon bar,is it two bars joined together?.The reason I ask is according to regulations the KVKII and ost medal would come before the Hindenburg medal and other Imperial medals(not the WWI EK),instead of having a 1939 EKII ribbon,you should have a bar/spange on the 1914 EKII.I don't know what long service medals Manteuffel had.John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Brigardefuhrer wrote:Really coming together Loz.Regards the ribbon bar,is it two bars joined together?.The reason I ask is according to regulations the KVKII and ost medal would come before the Hindenburg medal and other Imperial medals(not the WWI EK),instead of having a 1939 EKII ribbon,you should have a bar/spange on the 1914 EKII.I don't know what long service medals Manteuffel had.John
Yes unfortunately as you know John getting the correct awards on one bar is difficult, i had a list of awards that
Manteuffel was awarded and tried to get them on one bar, the blue/white Bavarian ribbon most difficult of all to
find on a ribbon bar with other awards, instead the best i could do was buy two original bars (WW1/WW2) and
join them together which had the correct awards on them, unfortunately i could not put them in correct order,
also certain metal attatchments i had to buy seperately plus dismantle a bar to get the Bavarian ribbon, quite
difficult getting all the ones i need on one bar tbh, there are medal bars about but with the incorrect awards which
certain ones i required, i ended up buying two original bars plus dismantling a third

However as you can see i had moved the cufftitles further up the sleeve, this was another tedious job as sewing
one on the cuff and sleeve looked odd also both on the cuff looked strange also, instead i attatched one on the
cuff then sewed the other onto the title edge itself rather than the sleeve material, the Erel cap (from Militaria Net)
proved another problem, i had to take off the embroidered insignia and replace it with the late War metal type,
the company i purchased the metal oakleaves/cockade from were out of stock of the gilded type and sent me a
silvered type so i had to paint it also the oakleaves were in two parts so i had to attatch it without damaging the
velvet cap band, as well as sewing on insignia and medal loops etc, all in all it was a long project :)
Cheers Pipes
Last edited by peiper1944 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

excellent work loz and good advice john , great to see another impression getting done well and advice being taken to get the thing right best wishes to all
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

peiper1944 wrote:
Brigardefuhrer wrote:Really coming together Loz.Regards the ribbon bar,is it two bars joined together?.The reason I ask is according to regulations the KVKII and ost medal would come before the Hindenburg medal and other Imperial medals(not the WWI EK),instead of having a 1939 EKII ribbon,you should have a bar/spange on the 1914 EKII.I don't know what long service medals Manteuffel had.John
Yes unfortunately as you know John getting the correct awards on one bar is difficult, i had a list of awards that
Manteuffel was awarded and tried to get them on one bar, the blue/white Bavarian ribbon most difficult of all to
find on a ribbon bar with other awards, instead the best i could do was buy two original bars (WW1/WW2) and
join them together which had the correct awards on them, unfortunately i could not put them in correct order,
also certain metal attatchments i had to buy seperately plus dismantle a bar to get the Bavarian ribbon, quite
difficult getting all the ones i need on one bar tbh, there are medal bars about but with the incorrect awards which
certain ones i required, i ended up buying two original bars plus dismantling a third

However as you can see i had moved the cufftitles further up the sleeve, this was another tedious job as sewing
one on the cuff and sleeve looked odd also both on the cuff looked strange also, instead i attatched one on the
cuff then sewed the other onto the title edge itself rather than the sleeve material, the Erel cap (from Militaria Net)
proved another problem, i had to take off the embroidered insignia and replace it with the late War metal type,
the company i purchased the metal oakleaves/cockade from were out of stock of the gilded type and sent me a
silvered type so i had to paint it also the oakleaves were in two parts so i had to attatch it without damaging the
velvet cap band, as well as sewing on insignia and medal loops etc, all in all it was a long project :)
Cheers Pipes

Update: Medal ribbon bar now in regulation order with correct EK-1 bar spange (see below)
medal ribbon updated.jpg
medal ribbon updated.jpg (144.17 KiB) Viewed 3718 times

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”