Camera question Kameraden?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
LHistorian

Camera question Kameraden?

Post by LHistorian »

Howdy all! had a small question so hopefully can get some answers for it :)

came across a real nice Cine'-Kodak Eight model 20 camcorder, 1942 dated, Came with it's original box and quick start manual, and only missing the film spool you send to get the film developed, so needless to say I'm pretty darn happy with it :D

so here's my question:

is it possible for such a fine filming instrument to have fallen into a German soldats hands? and if so, how could he have gotten more film, develop the film, take care of it etc. etc., and have a buyable explanation for having and using it?

thanks fellows! cheers!
die Wille Gottes wird nie nehmen Sie, wo die Gnade Gottes wird Sie nicht schützen.
~~~~~~
Put a German soldier into a box. Close it as tight as you can.

Write on it´s top the warning: " DO NOT OPEN! ONLY IN CASE OF WAR!"
Heeresbergführer

Re: Camera question Kameraden?

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Grüß Gott LH Kameramann,

Congratulations on your 8mm movie camera find! They didn't have camcorders back then. :wink:

I'm sure that this camera was used by German soldiers along with many other Kodak products since there was a Kodak Germany division of the company.
http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Our_Compa ... 0-1959.htm

I have a wartime German Kodak Retina 35mm still camera in my collection. It's too bad that Kodak stopped making Kodachrome film stock for that real 'vintage' look.

The Retina is behind the Leica:

Good luck with your filmmaking!

Patrick (with a Sony EX-3 camcorder in Iraq)
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

LHistorian

Post by LHistorian »

Great thanks! haha sorry, pardon my modern English :lol: didn't realize there was a Kodak division based in Germany at the time so very cool to know. The only thing is everything is written in English on the camera (I'll try and post some pictures of it), such the lens settings and the maker and so on, including the box and manual, so clearly made in Allied territory....

so that being said is it still possible for a German Kämpfer to have found one in the field? don't suppose there was a type of black market at all during that time 8)

A thought of mine was I could have picked up from a an American soldier on the field, but then come the question of where I could get more film to prolong usage o it, or to have the film developed?.......
die Wille Gottes wird nie nehmen Sie, wo die Gnade Gottes wird Sie nicht schützen.
~~~~~~

Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

LHistorian wrote:A thought of mine was I could have picked up from a an American soldier on the field, but then come the question of where I could get more film to prolong usage o it, or to have the film developed?.......
It would be easy enough to get 8mm movie film in Germany during the war from Kodak, Agfa, and other companies. Plenty of 8mm film footage was shot during the war.

Horrido!

Patrick (with Sony EX-3 camcorder in Afghanistan)

Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Zschakel

Post by Zschakel »

Sounds cool! Although I wouldn't imagine one could be found in the field (not impossible), quite a lot of period german camera products have as much english on them as german, or so I have found anyway. I have seen a few images of germans using 8mm knocking about whilst doing my research.
Kriegsberichter und Felddrucker der Wehrmacht
LHistorian

Post by LHistorian »

Here's some pictures of my little beauty :mrgreen:

Also whilst I was taking these pics of it found out that it is NOT dated 1941 (previously I has stated it was a '42) which I thought was the date for manufacture located on the uppermost right spool. Turns out it was just the serial no. by the looks of it. So another question for you folks is how does one go about finding a manufacture date for this? it has an ad for the Kodak film on the lid that has a copyright date of 1934, so could this one be made in the '30s then?
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (176.33 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (255 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (205.37 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
~~~~~~

LHistorian

Post by LHistorian »

And the rest....
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (196.15 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (197.87 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (147.77 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
~~~~~~

Zschakel

Post by Zschakel »

That's one sexy piece of kit :D These cameras were introduces in 1932 and were on the market till 1947. Although it take 8mm footage, it actually uses 16mm film and exposes the film side-by-side (you need to flip the reel over half way) :D
LHistorian

Post by LHistorian »

Haha thanks Zschakel! also many thanks Heeresbergführer for your help too! :D

done some more research on it and really leaning towards it being a 1930s model.... now to find the other film spool and film for her :roll: my impression (once I get it finished) is for the 12th SS, so you folks figure a young whipper snapper HJ as myself might get my hands on one of these little treasures? Just love how portable it is, and really want to take her out for my first re-enactment, but really want to be period, and if there wasn't a way to find it/bring it along then I'd rather leave her at home.....*sniff*.....

Anyways thanks for the replies so far and hope to hear more! cheers mates!
~~~~~~

Zschakel

Post by Zschakel »

Are you UK based?
LHistorian

Post by LHistorian »

Afraid not, based over here state-side in sunny California :roll:
~~~~~~

BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

I'd date this camera as mid '30s to late '40s, so spot on for your impression.

Kodak was probably the leading player in the cine camera industry, so a German cine hobbyist would conceivably have bought a Kodak. If it was purchased before 1939, no reason it wouldn't have been a US import with English markings and manual.

Soldiers with home movie cameras were rare but not unheard of. It was (still is) an expensive hobby.

I'd say it fitted more with an early war impression.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”