canteen leaking?

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Oberleutnant Ulrich

canteen leaking?

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

So I was out in the field and for the first time ever I used an original canteen in the field. Always before I used a repro canteen itself with original cover etc. So it seemed like the bloody thing was leaking all the time. The rubber in the cap is in pretty good condition and the canteen itself was in almost mint condition, so I assume unissued or just well taken care of (dated 1942). Eventually I just sat down after refilling it and took it out of the pouch to just watch the metal, of course, aluminium sweats! It was hot, the water inside was cool so the canteen would sweat!

So any of you using an aluminium canteen, don't worry it's not leaking, just sweating!

But here's the issue, aluminium is prone to sweating, but why don't my China made repro canteen sweat, that got me worried, what else is in that alloy they must be using then as if it was made the same way as the original alloy (almost 100% aluminium which is a harmless metal) it would sweat too....steel sweats and they weigh almost the same so that can't be it, copper would show, I'm wondering if there's lead in there! :shock: as lead does not sweat! I guess I have to experiment on it then and get back to you with the results (I'm a amateur chemist, fun hobby ;) )
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
pepperpot

Re: canteen leaking?

Post by pepperpot »

lead, mercury, 's*** metal, (as in replica pistols), aluminum composite, and coming from china probably anything radio active. :mrgreen: ? does it glow in the dark? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
graham
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Re: canteen leaking?

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Tomorrow morning I'll have the results, put already from my sulphide mixtures and HCL I'm getting positive results for Pb (lead)...not good!

The other thing is that there's a fair amount of the machine oil still on and in them when you first get them, which gives them their funny after taste with the water (the oil is toxic and you can't get it all out) it's a risk most reenactors chose to take, but lead on top of it...this is bad.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”